Signature Series Questions

Options
Hi,

I would like to upgrade my current Polk Monitor II 5.1 surround system with a Polk Signature series. Currently I have:

Front = 2 Monitor 70 Series II
Center = CS2 Series II
Rear = 2 Monitor 30 Series II
Sub = PSW505 12”

My living room is 16ft L x 13ft W with 9ft ceiling

For the Signature series, I am planning on:

Front = 2 S55
Center = S30
Rear = 2 S15 or S20
Sub = PSW505 12” (keep/upgrade/sell)

In my home theater, I mainly watch TV and movies and listen to some music.

I’ve read that the S55 offer a great sound especially with a sub.

• Do you think the above signature series would be a good replacement?
• Should I spend more money and get the S60s? Would that produce a better soundstage over the S55s?
• Is the PSW505 sub adequate or should I replace it with a different sub?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    My first question would be, why do you want to upgrade to the S Series? The Monitors not doing it for you anymore? If the majority of your listening is TV/movies and less for music, then spending money on a better sub would be where I would start.
    You can get a really good sub (from a number of mfrs. like SVS or HSU, to name two), and I think you'll really appreciate your current setup even more.

Of course, if your Monitors are "tired" and you just want better speakers all around, then the S Series is a good value. And I would just get the S60, for the few extra bucks you might as well hit the top step in the ladder.

Update us on what you decide to do, and welcome to the Forum. B)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • jwswope
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Yeah, they seem a little tired. I figured a better speaker setup would make the listening experience better, better clarity.

I was thinking the S55 because I can purchase them at Best Buy. The S60s I'd have to order from Amazon or Crutchfield and have them delivered.

Most people seem very happy with the S55s. Would I hear a difference with the S60 over the S55? Is either a significant over the Monitor 70s?
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    As one who use to have a pair of S55's, I would step up to the S60's instead. I think you would be happier with them. I ran my S55's in a 3.1 setup with a S30 and a HSU sub.

BTW I also had a PSW505 and I upgraded to a HSU VTF-2 MK5 12" sub and it was a big improvement. My room is 16' x 17'.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jwswope
    Options
    Thank you for your input. Do you recommend a sub replacement?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Yes a better sub and I too would step up the the S60's. Best buy can't order in the S60? Seems strange if they cannot.
  • jwswope
    Options
    I will check Best Buy’s website again, but it wasn’t listed the lat time I checked.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Get the 60s you won’t regret spending the extra money. They are great all around speaker
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • jwswope
    Options
    Just curious. Is there a big difference between the S60 and the S55?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    Options
    All good info here. Yes, if you'd like to step it up from the 505, HSU VTF series or SVS offer good options for dual use, music and theater.

I picked up a 505 to try out several years ago, but found it to be more of a "rumbler".

Subs from HSU and SVS will be tighter and more articulate. That is to say, will be cleaner and more precise sounding, as apposed to rumbling.

There are other good choices out there, as well. Be sure to check out your local second-hand market for these or other brands.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    I think you should start with a new sub before getting new speakers.

Second, what is running this system? Those 70s are nice speakers but they need POWER. A nice two channel amp would really wake them up, so much so that you might think you just got new speakers...

Imho and all that...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Also while budgeting upgrades worry about the front 3
    Replace the rears last
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    Options
    That's actually not a bad idea, starting with the sub first.

The Signatures will offer a bit more detail over the Monitor series, while still being balanced and not particularly edgy for music like the RTi series, but yes, probably good to stage this process a bit so you can get a proper sense for what each change is bringing to your system.

I say the above since I had the opportunity to demo three lines of speakers with a friend a few years ago. Here's some additional reference reading you may find helpful. At the bottom is the Signature Series thread, if you haven't already found it.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2360233/#Comment_2360233

Monitor 60's versus S20 speakers?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179396/monitor-60s-versus-s20-speakers/p1

Polk Signature Series Official Discussion
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174277/polk-signature-series-official-discussion/p1
    I disabled signatures.
  • jwswope
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advise. I am currently running a Denon AVR-X1300. I plan on purchasing a Denon AVR-X3500. I want to step up to the Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
  • jwswope
    Options
    With everyone’s great advice, I’m going to go with the S60s, the S30 center and probably the S15s for the rear. They are about the same size as the Monitor 30s they’ll be replacing.
    I’ll research the subwoofer.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    That should be a SWEET setup!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    jwswope wrote: »
    With everyone’s great advice, I’m going to go with the S60s, the S30 center and probably the S15s for the rear. They are about the same size as the Monitor 30s they’ll be replacing.
    I’ll research the subwoofer.

In your setup I'd go for the sub first, Either an HSU VTF-2 or SVS PB2000 then Denon AVR. Speakers would be last. Depending on how loud you like to listen I'd look for an amp too. Outlaw 5000 Emotiva BasX maybe even a Monolith or Emotiva XPA.

Thing about an amp is it takes the load off the AVR for powering speakers. Even a good 2 channel will work wonders.

Note on Audyssey, once you run it put on some bass heavy music. Download the DB meter for your phone. Play the music for a minute go to the sub and flip the phase switch then play the same music. See which one is louder. I got 5db more by flipping the switch when I had S60's. Audyssey set the sub out of phase.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jwswope
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm not quite sure I understand why a sub would be best replacement first than the speakers. I guess the AVR would make sense since it would have more power than the previous one and Audyssey is muck better.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Why a sub first?

The sub woofer is the heart of a good system, it can make it or break it. A 505 is a boomey bass box for a low end system. It is the best -$200 sub there is but it's just that. Now add in a quality sub like and HSU or SVS then it's a new level of low end. Hook it up run calibration set speakers to small cross over to 80hz for all your speakers you might be done there.

I don't know how many times I've seen people upgrade from a 505 or PSW10 to a real sub they think they have a entire new system.

In the end it's your money your choice.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I also like the SVS PC-2000 Subwoofer and, they're on sale right now for only $699!

I had the Polk R15's for my mains and surrounds and the matching CSi25 center channel paired with an SVS 20-39 PCi sub and that setup was stellar. If your AVR is cutting all the speakers off at 80 Hz, why bother with floorstanding speakers? Save yourself a ton of ca$h and go with the S15's up front and for surrounds with the S30 center and get a big bad subwoofer to handle everything else. Or, put the S20's as your mains, S15's or S10's as surrounds, and the S30 at center.

SVS
    HSU
    Rythmik
    Monoprice Monolith

All good subs that will shake your foundations!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mrloren
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I also like the SVS PC-2000 Subwoofer and, they're on sale right now for only $699!

I had the Polk R15's for my mains and surrounds and the matching CSi25 center channel paired with an SVS 20-39 PCi sub and that setup was stellar. If your AVR is cutting all the speakers off at 80 Hz, why bother with floorstanding speakers? Save yourself a ton of ca$h and go with the S15's up front and for surrounds with the S30 center and get a big bad subwoofer to handle everything else. Or, put the S20's as your mains, S15's or S10's as surrounds, and the S30 at center.

SVS
    HSU
    Rythmik
    Monoprice Monolith

All good subs that will shake your foundations!

Good thought, I did an A/B with my S20 and S60. The S20 sounded darn good but the S60 had a fuller more well balanced sound to it. I had them both C/O at 80HZ using my VTF3 sub.

Now the OP is doing mostly movies and TV. I think the S20 with a good sub would be more than enough.
  • jwswope
    Options
    That definitely makes a lot of sense. Most of you are suggesting the SVS PB-2000 or the HSU VTF-2 MK5. I do see that there is a SVS SB-2000 too. I am reading up on the sealed vs ported. Ported seems to be better for Home Theater and the sealed seems better for music. I mention this because I don’t have a lot of room and the SVS SB-2000 is about the same size as my current one. The other 2 are much larger and I’m not sure if I have the room. What are your opinions of sealed vs ported or SVS SB-2000 vs SVS PB-2000?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    Options
    jwswope wrote: »
    That definitely makes a lot of sense. Most of you are suggesting the SVS PB-2000 or the HSU VTF-2 MK5. I do see that there is a SVS SB-2000 too. I am reading up on the sealed vs ported. Ported seems to be better for Home Theater and the sealed seems better for music. I mention this because I don’t have a lot of room and the SVS SB-2000 is about the same size as my current one. The other 2 are much larger and I’m not sure if I have the room. What are your opinions of sealed vs ported or SVS SB-2000 vs SVS PB-2000?

Call svs. Their CS is excellent. Answer a few questions and they will give you their recommendation. They won't try to oversell you I promise. Plus, they have a generous 45 day trial period with free shipping both ways.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I would also recommend the PC 2000 if you have the space. Small footprint, just need the vertical space.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • halo
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I would also recommend the PC 2000 if you have the space. Small footprint, just need the vertical space.

Great minds think alike!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    A sealed sub for HT works perfectly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    Options
    Sealed works good for HT
    Ported works better..

I have a ported VTF3-MK5. I have it with 1 port open. It plays music just fine and digs deep for movies.

Here is the SVS PB2000 vs the HSU VTF2-MK5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4S5_u7ZQSc

The PC2000 out of the three SVS 2000 series would have the smaller foot print but stands a lot taller.

Now dual sealed SB2000 would be great
  • jwswope
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to try and call SVS tonight.
  • jwswope
    Options
    I called SVS and had a productive chat with their customer service. Super friendly. Now I just ordered the PC-2000! I can’t wait for it to arrive! Thanks for all your help!
  • mrloren
    Options
    Oh my, going from a 505 to a PC2000 boy are you in for a treat.

Please remember to do a phase check once Audyssey is done. Run Audyssey, install a freeware DB meter on your phone. Put on some bass heavy music play a minute, flip the phase on the sub to 180 then play the same music. Leave it at which ever is the loudest.
  • halo
    Options
    Indeed! I went from a small Yamaha direct-servo sub (6" IIRC) to the SVS PCi 20-39. Man, oh, man. Fun, fun, fun!!!