Want a brand new Trans-Am?

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I got kicked out of the State of New York.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I had a 69 Camaro. No idea if it was fast. As soon as I exited the base a police car would be on my behind everywhere I went.
    They would stop and hassle me about twice a week. That included searches.
    I sold it and they never bothered me again. And I could drive fast.
    Go figure.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    I had that same exact issue with the TA in Springfield, VA. Not quite that often but on average, about once a week. Never when I deserved it, only when it was inconvenient, like when I was on route to work or some crap. They always (95% of the time) used the excuse, "we pulled you over because we had a report of a stolen TA". Uh-huh.

How many gold TA's were there in the DC area with rims like mine? Only one that I ever saw. Plus, I had a real easy license plate to remember - "OCBOUND". How hard was it to look up the license plate to determine if mine wasn't stolen? I asked them this all the time and never got a real answer as to why.

One cop threatened to take me "downtown" when I got snippy with him and said, "Did you ever bother to look at the description of the driver and match it to the damned license plate?" He didn't think that was funny and either did I. I was VERY rude to him and yelled at him to the point of almost going to jail because I was late (again) for work over their BS. I told him to write me a F'n warning so I could show my boss. He didn't.

I just got used to it. Same as you though. After that? I could speed with generally no worries.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    There was a guy with a Plymouth super bird. They went after him worse than
    Me. If a car looked fast, Barney Fife was right there to nip it in the bud.

Note: you can't type super bird as one word without autocorrect changing it!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    I started driving in a 71 Camaro 350 auto. Plenty fast for a teenager. In '86, I got this 79 Z28 with factory 4 speed and a built engine and still have it. Lots of fun.

ejc5705ky5tj.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Superbird

tqo3ckztgwy9.png

Supercar ;)

f9jffv1xx012.png
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Back when every high school kid had a clapped out Honda with a bee swarm muffler and a transformers body kit I got pulled over a lot for also driving Honda's. Now I pretty much get left alone.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • treitz3
    Options
    BinKY188_5 wrote: »
    ejc5705ky5tj.jpg
    Nice car!

Back when I had my TA, my girl had an '80 Camaro that looked almost exactly like that. Charcoal metallic Grey with plenty of clear coats to make it look deep. When we were together, our cars got lots of looks. Both of them. She was quite the looker too.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I started driving in a 71 Camaro 350 auto. Plenty fast for a teenager. In '86, I got this 79 Z28 with factory 4 speed and a built engine and still have it. Lots of fun.

ejc5705ky5tj.jpg

I love that body style and they were sweet cars except they were dogs from the factory.
    1979 I was a freshman in high school good times were had for sure.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options

ejc5705ky5tj.jpg

Also T Top roof.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • sucks2beme
    Options

I worked with a guy who had an 80 in red. He had been married a month,
    And she had dropped him off for the night shift at work.
    She didn't show up to pick him up. She had tossed all his stuff on the
    Front lawn and took his car hundreds of miles away. He only found out
    Where it was when she filed for divorce. She tried to get alimony.
    Instead he got it annuled and she had to give the car back.
    Note: never marry a stripper.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Marry a stripper and work the night shift? That's asking for problems.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Marry a stripper and having to work at all? That must be one fugly stripper.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited February 2020
    Options
    OK, since we've strayed from the original topic, here's my F body story...

In '78, as a senior in HS I ordered a brand new Camaro. Black on black, spoiler, tach and gauges, sport suspension, etc. Unfortunately it had the anemic 305CI, 2 bbl. Think it put out like 130hp. A looker for sure though... Think I paid like $4800.

pll4ebs5h8m5.jpg

A year later I traded it in on a new '79 Z28. Fully loaded including T tops. It was definitely a chick magnet. The 350 was still a boat anchor but it had a nice exhaust rumble. Around $9500 IIRC.

pn7cvjvruhii.jpg

I few years later I cracked a head. While rebuilding I pulled off all the smog c r a p, Installed headers, mild cam, Edelbrock intake and Holley 750. Needless to say it did respond well to "mods". Wish I still had it. They are fetching pretty big $$ these days.

kmcuwvbmz3n9.jpg

Post edited by ken brydson on
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,686
    Options
    It was definitely a chick magnet.

Yeah, if someone else was driving it, maybe. :p
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    Apologies to the OP for my involvement in the derailment.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Maybe someone at GM will pull their head out and make this happen.
    Someone should buy one of these and go do some donuts around GM hq,
    Then drive it through the front lobby glass. Too bad Burt is gone.
    This calls for action, even if it's a stupid one.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Those pesky Dodge Boys are bringing the 'Cuda back...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Most of us here have had too much fun with cars.
    And like a crack dealer they keep upping the product.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »

I worked with a guy who had an 80 in red. He had been married a month,
    And she had dropped him off for the night shift at work.
    She didn't show up to pick him up. She had tossed all his stuff on the
    Front lawn and took his car hundreds of miles away. He only found out
    Where it was when she filed for divorce. She tried to get alimony.
    Instead he got it annuled and she had to give the car back.
    Note: never marry anyone.

fishdix for ya

• treitz3
    edited February 2020
    Options

Absolutely no worries. This is Club Polk. We could have a thread about T.O.E. Jam and the thread would evolve into the price of Tea in China, have a couple of useless spats about italics and grammar, then onto wood decks, moving back to tea, then onto sports beekeeping.

Approximately 10 posts on a 124 page thread would be about the actual topic.

I love your car BTW. Just something about that body style and that era of cars that really makes me happy thinking about everything that went on in my life at that time. My buddy had an '80 TA (white with the blue Bird), GF had an '80 Camaro that looked like yours, another buddy had a sleeper 'Stang....I believe it was an '85, white with rims and tricked out motor and another buddy had a decked out van that was completely customized, sportin' oversized rims and tires, wheel well skirts/flares or whatever they are called, raised top, round windows on the sides, carpeted interior, killer stereo system, blah, blah, blah.

Whenever we got together, it was like having a mini car show. Everyone's vehicle was either mint or as close to it as could be. Good times man.

That was back in the day when we would simply hop in the car and head out to the mountains with no particular place to go....just to drive. Ah, to be a kid again...

[EDIT:] BTW, did you or have you ever had an issue with your engine mounts?

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Absolutely no worries. This is Club Polk. We could have a thread about T.O.E. Jam and the thread would evolve into the price of Tea in China, have a couple of useless spats about italics and grammar, then onto wood decks, moving back to tea, then onto sports beekeeping.
    Tom

Guilty

• sucks2beme
    Options
    In 1976 a saw a 1975 trans am with the wheels painted to match the body and
    Curb feelers. Yes, curb feelers. It looked as stupid as it sounds
    I'm hoping that picture is a body dropped on a 4 wheel drive chassis.
  • BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    edited February 2020
    Options

[EDIT:] BTW, did you or have you ever had an issue with your engine mounts?

Tom[/quote]

My '79 has solid motor mounts, so no problems. FWIW, I also have Polk speakers in it front and rear and Kicker subs behind the back seat.

Post edited by BinKY188_5 on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    In 1976 a saw a 1975 trans am with the wheels painted to match the body and
    Curb feelers. Yes, curb feelers. It looked as stupid as it sounds
    I'm hoping that picture is a body dropped on a 4 wheel drive chassis.

it appears to be.
    I think I want one of those, avec or sans plow.
    I like that body style of Camaro (and, to a lesser extent, Firebird), too.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    There was a shop down in Dallas that specialized in all things trans am.
    Engines, shakers, body moldings. Good rebuildable engine cores as well. 400, 455.
    All the hard to find stuff. And a copy of the AllPontiacEquipment APE catalog
    was a must. I don't think either is still in business.
    This was long before Trans Am's became collectable.
    I remember finding a 76 trans am with 55k in red in great shape for $5000.
    It was missing one rear wheelwell moulding. And of course the center console cover was broken. Never saw one more than a few years old with that still ok.
    Guy was nearly blind. He had a great 60's Vette, but he was keeping it for his wife.
    I found a lot of great stuff in the late 90's that you couldn't touch today.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,686
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I think I want one of those, avec or sans plow.

I had a Mercedes mit plow.