Copper Magazine Article on Carver Original Silver Seven

I know there are some Carver fans here, so I thought I’d bring this to your attention. PS Audio has a biweekly online magazine that is really quite interesting. I don’t know how they can come up with so much content every two weeks. Frank Doris is a recent addition to the staff and he has an article in the current issue (#104) describing how he was troubleshooting one silent Carver Silver Seven amp while working for the Absolute Sound. Harry Pearson and a noted music critic were waiting in the adjacent listening room. Frank was on the phone with Bob Carver and heating up a soldering iron to see if it could be brought back to life. Worth a read.

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Link?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Dude's lucky to still be alive. He is right, that can be lethal.

I saw someone brought down to his knees (as quick as one can snap their fingers) on one of Bob's amps that had only 35 watts....and it was unplugged. I guarantee you he will never handle that amp again with the bottom cover off.

Cool read, nonetheless.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2020
    As they say:
    It's the volts that jolt but the mills [milliamps] that kill.

DC is a little friendlier than AC in the sense that DC tends to knock one away from the source; AC induces some sort of muscular paralysis such that a person who contacts a serious source of AC (e.g., a bare spot on a power cord) may not let go -- sometimes with fatal results.

Either way, the best thing is to ensure that the current doesn't go through you -- two hands across a voltage and current source tends to be what stops the heart. :(
    Thus, when working on vacuum tube circuits, the ol' Alanis Morissette song is a good mantra
    I've got one hand in my pocket...

Shoes with thick rubber soles are good, too.
    I've seen [EDIT] a TV service guy (they were guys, in those long-ago days) draw a spark through a hole in the sole of one of his shoes. No kidding.