New Equipment!

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Here is a shot of my new equipment rack. Built this myself. (4) 42" long X 1/2" diameter threaded rod. (48) 1/2" nuts & washers. (6) 21" wide X 19" deep X 3/4" thick MDF shelves.

I am NOT claiming to have designed this. I got the idea from a rack I saw on AudioAdvisor.com. (http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=SALA5B/X&product_name=Archetype%205%2E0%20Five-Shelf%20Audio%20Rack)

Enjoy.
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Here is a shot of the new right side wall acoustic panel.

This was built with a 1" X 2" frame, with an 1/8" hardboard back (like pegboard, without the holes). 4 eggcrate style acoustic panels are glued onto the hardboard back, inside the frame. The whole assembly was then covered with material.

The center of the panel is located exactly at the right channel 1'st order reflection point.

These pictures & more are also located in my system showcase. I just thought I'd share these two in the forum.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Love the rack, good work! However, that acoustic panel is ugly! lol

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Love the rack, good work! However, that acoustic panel is ugly! lol

Regards,
    PolkThug

Yeah, I figured I'd get mixed emotions about that panel. Either love it or hate it.

It really does make a HUGE improvement in the sound. I happen to like it, my taste is a little old fashion, I guess...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I'm actually headed down this same path myself. I've got some panels but haven't had time to test them yet.
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    with the panels in place, i've noticed an improvement (increase) in detail. The soundstage is also deeper, but it has lost a small bit of width. This makes sense to me. Less reflected sound increases the detail & depth. But, with less ambiance, the soundstage seems to shrink a small amount.

I was fine leaving the frame and panels uncovered, but the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) was low. My fiancee was not having that. So she went out and bought the fabric we used to cover the panel with. I'm ok with it, as the panel still "works", and it looks nice to me.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Where did you get the materials for the rack. I'd be interested in building one of those myself. Did you paint it? Great job!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I got a 3/4" MDF 4' X 8' sheet at Home Depot, & they even cut all the shelves out for me. I ended up with 8 shelves, and some scrap. I left the scrap at the store, and took the 8 shelves. Total cost is about $25.

The shelves then need to be sealed. I used 3 coats (more would have been better) of Minwax Sanding Sealer. One quart was about $10, and was plenty. I then sanded the shelves, ending up with 300 grit. Turned out nice and smooth. I then painted the shelves with Sherwin Williams satin black oil based enamel. About $15 for 1 quart of paint, thinner, and a sponge roller. 3 coats to the top & sides of the shelves, 2 coats to the bottom.

I then got (4) 6' 1/2-13 threaded rods from Apple Fasteners. $14.80 plus free shipping because UPS lost the package.

I got (50) 1/2-13 nuts & washer from McMaster Carr. About $45!!! (These nuts & washer were black oxide finish, which turned out to be a total waste because I ended up painting them anyway.) They are an industrial supplier. I used oversized nuts. They look better than regular 1/2" nuts you'd find at a hardware store. Regular nuts will just be smaller, and won't cost as much, probably about 1/2 of what I paid, but the larger nuts look better.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Nice lookin rack! Lookin good!

just some FYI for people interested in making one. You can get the threaded rod at Home Depot but it will be silver in color, depending on the diameter you can get them for $2 to $5 a piece. I think my rack cost me about $60 to $70 to make most of the cost was eaten up by the cherry vinyl covering that I used to cover the MDF.

My rack

I believe TNT-audio have a nice little site about making your own Flexi Rack
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Excellent work! Looks very proffesional. I like the acoustic panel too. The fabric is a nice contrast against the wall.

Maurice
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Excellent work! Looks very proffesional. I like the acoustic panel too. The fabric is a nice contrast against the wall.

Maurice

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was alone in liking the panel....:eek:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2004
    Options
    It has a nice artistic look to it. Forgot to ask this earlier, is that a DIY panel? I'm thinking about building one because I sit right against the back wall. Man, you should see the thin blanket I've got hanging on the back wall. Naaaasty:D.

Maurice
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Yeah, the panel is DIY, I built it & my fiancee covered it with the material. It really makes a HUGE improvement, espescially in detail. Soundstage depth increases also.
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2004
    Options
    However, that acoustic panel is ugly! lol

You think that panel is ugly...check out the kid in the top, left picture! :eek:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dragon1952
    You think that panel is ugly...check out the kid in the top, left picture! :eek:

That's ma dawg...;)
    34.jpg 37.6K
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Great looking rack. Ugly kid though.:p Just kidding. Nice dog (for being a dog) too.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited May 2004
    Options
    great job!!! and where are the cables...good management !!
  • gmorris
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Thanks Willow.

Here is a picture of the backside of the rack. This picture does not really do the cable management justice, they are actually better organized than this picture looks. Thanks for noticing.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited May 2004
    Options
    no prob 2 thumbs up to you !! I went out and bought some flexi tube I seperated all my audio, video cables, and all power cables together.... I have to clean up the speaker cables ....and then all the damn cables behind the TV stand !!

But sweet job !!
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Here is a picture of the backside of the rack. This picture does not really do the cable management justice, they are actually better organized than this picture looks.

Arghhhh! I wish mine looked like that.....I hate you! :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2004
    Options
    G-Mo, excellent idea on the acoustic panels, I would have never thought of that approach. Cool!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2004
    Options
    gmorris,

Nice DIY rack. I built one too a few months ago. Looks just like yours.

As far as the acoustic panel, its a great idea if one can integrate it into the living environment.

Here's a link to echobusters. Most of the reading that I've done on this topic people like to eliminate the first reflections off the side walls and the area behind the speakers.

These are some expensive treatments though. I wouldn't pay for them but DIY is always a good option.

http://www.echobusters.com/page9.html
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Check out this guy's acoustic treatments. Pretty ingenious if it really works:

http://members.cox.net/sandman41/roomlens

Who would have thought that putting up "plants" would make your system sound better.
  • Grzegorz
    Grzegorz Posts: 28
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I just finished building my flexy this weekend. I'm not exactly a handy guy but this was just too easy. :)
  • gmorris
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Grzegorz, nice job. I like the contrasting shelf & rod/hardware colors. It goes good with the speakers.