Monitor 10(early version) speaker grill

Options
The frames for one of my grills has a piece of wood missing out of it. I have the piece. As the grills use that weird velcro like locking system what is the best way to go about either replacing the grill frame or repairing it. I know wood glue and a clamp would most likely work as a fix, I'd just have to get new fabric for them. Any insight into this issue is much appreciated.
2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Pictures would help
  • bullet150
    Options
    This is the grill. Sorry for late upload @pitdogg2
    2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    maybe carefully glue it back together then use it as a template for a new frame.

Carefully is the key word. you will need to remove the grill clothe it may be salvageable
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Looks like the velcro pads just stapled on with 4 staples each, so would be transferrable to a new frame. Looks like you have a missing chunk taken out of the frame. Don't suppose you have the piece? Anyway, probably not what you want to hear but I think a complete rebuild of the frame is in order, and maybe you can salvage the grill fabric and re-use on the new frame, if you carefully pull the staples without tearing the fabric.

Oh Duh you said you have the piece. That's good but I still think gluing the whole thing back will be difficult. If you use slow cure epoxy you may have a chance. Soak the particle board at the joints by thoroughly wetting and feeding in unthickened epoxy, then use some thickened epoxy to glue it up on a flat table with clamps with waxed paper underneath. For epoxy I recommend West Systems, available at marine supply houses, heck probably amazon too.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    If repaired (pieced back together) it probably will never fit flush with the front baffle of the speaker and not look good. The best thing would be to remove the cloth from the good frame and use it as a model to make two new ones out of light to medium dense mdf and install new cloth. This will require good carpentry tools and skills. Not sure if you could use 3d printing to replicate them with plastic. That would be interesting. Best wishes.
  • bullet150
    Options
    Thanks @pitdogg2 @Gardenstater @aprazer402 I will most likely use the good frame as a template and make 2 new ones and transfer the holding mechanism.