Phono and TT research

Options
So i need phono stage for my music hall 2.1. It has the tracker cart still. I dont have a phono pre and run in through my onkyo 929. With that said ive been reading and seems like a jolida jd9 may be a good pre for a while. Is this too much for my tracker? Should i start with more of a zphone setup and get a new cart first? Seems like at my price point i might as well get something i wont want to immediately swap out

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Any cartridge benefits from a good phonostage. I would suggest get the best phonostage you can with your budget, even if it out paces your TT/cart, especially if you do plan to upgrade either of those in the future. I'm a big advocate of taking bigger steps with each piece, and knowing that part is "done" until you take care of other upgrades.

As long as a phonostage has a decent range of gain of loading options, it can stick with you for a range of upgrades.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    A Jolida JD9 will certainly outclass the other parts of your current chain. Might want to take a step back, determine your budget, and then consider where to start in upgrades. Folks here are more than happy to help you spend your money...ahem, wisely.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    FWIW -- I don't know the first thing about the JoLida JD9, but I (literally) just happened to notice there's a huge thread (started in 2011) on this preamp at AK:
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/official-jolida-jd9-thread.344317/

Might be worth a look if the OP's seriously interested in this particular preamp.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    Options
    thats for the link!

I think the upgrade order has to be PhonoStage, Cart, TT, maybe some heavy lifting after that.

step 1 is finding a JD9 i feel comfortable buying. I may just get the zphone until that happens.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    FWIW:

If one has a serious, long-term 'commitment' to playing rekkids, I can't see any downside to investing in a good preamp, even if expensive.

My long-term impression of JoLida (the "real" company, headquartered in Maryland, and now being branded "Black Ice") is that he/they always sold good quality, pretty straightforward and value-priced components. I would expect their phono preamps to be likewise, but my only experience has been with amplifiers, which were/are decent enough, and not too expensive.

There was (is?) an "imposter" Jolida, at least for a while -- components sold using the name, somewhat unscrupulously, by a former Chinese contract manufacturer (as I understand it)... but I don't think(??) the phono preamp in question falls under any shadow of that imbrogli
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The zphono is real good bang for the buck, and if it were me I'd pick one up used for a hundy or less. I'd upgrade your TT and cart. The zphono will suffice for awhile.
  • bruss
    Options
    I agree, but then i stumbled across a used rega fono mm for 150. im gonna end up with 13 of these things.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I am not personally familiar with the Rega fono but I believe it is well-considered around these parts. You will experience a real and rewarding boost in sound quality, however, with an upgrade to that tracker cart and the Music Hall 2.1 - There are lots of threads on that subject. You don't have to spend a ton if you are patient and find gently used. If you are satisfied with your TT, then at least upgrade the cart would be my suggestion. If the Tracker is the cart I am thinking of, it leaves a great deal to be desired.
  • bruss
    Options
    this is the path i will wander. phonostage, cart, TT. observing all along the way while replenishing my slush fund
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ... don't forget all of the fun and sometimes expensive little accessories that you may also obsess over ;)

In fact, this seems like an excellent time to trot out this all-too-familiar observation:

5zj3469hbzmb.jpg
  • bruss
    Options
    i went with the rega fono mm off audiogon and a Ortofon - 2M Blue MM Phono Cartridge from music direct.
  • bruss
    Options
    Got the rega inline and already likey likey. Cant wait to swap the cart.
  • bruss
    Options
    New cart is in. After a few lps im already impressed. Why did i not do this years ago