Another problem...

So ive jumped off and bought some Dynamat for the baskets and PR....upon taking out the drivers i noticed that three are 6503 and one is a 6502. I have SDA2 A boxes and the schematic on the forum i found says they should be loaded with 6510s any input as far as will these work? Do I need to replace the drivers? Can I otr SHOULD I redo the crossovers to match? What am I to do?br5vziu85paf.png

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    Have you confirmed the crossover components match the 2A schematic?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• You are ahead of me..as usual..
  • Can you tell by llj7xfnvma936.jpg
    looking?
  • Things get confused ...im no electrician
  • F1nut
    They certainly look like 2A crossovers as everything I can read matches. The two large blue caps in your first pic should be 130uF. Therefore, it appears someone changed the drivers as I seriously doubt the speakers came from Polk like that.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    edited January 2020
    I think the values for all the capacitors are clearly marked. You may have to move that little silver mica bypass cap to see the markings on the yellow one. The resistors are the same as the schematic. You have 6 caps (as does the schem), (2) 20 uF, maybe the yellow one is a 12 uF but I can't read it. The two big blues that are in parallel, you will either need to take a photo at the correct angle or read them yourself. Schematic says they are both 130 uF. You would need an LCR meter to verify the inductor values, but you could check the gauges with a dial caliper if you have one, and verify that they are both 18 gauge, which would be 0.0403in. dia. wire.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    The yellow mylar is a 12uF cap.

President of Club Polk

• Is this all you people do? Because you are great at it. I cant thank you enough.
  • On the other end. Say they ARE the proper crossovers which is now verified...can i run the 6503 drivers? Do i need to hunt down 6510s? When I upgrade the crossovers will this make a difference?
  • Gardenstater
    That MW6502 is a much worse match to the MW6510 than the MW6503 is. The DC Resistance of the 6502 is only 3.52 Ohm vs 6.54 Ohm for the 6503 and 6.57 Ohm for the 6510. I believe the 6502 is a nom. 4 Ohm impedance speaker vs 8 Ohms for the 6503 and 6510.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    At a minimum replace the 6502 with a 6503 while hunting down four 6510's.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    Plus most SDA 2b will be one board and have a pin/blade cable where your's have a Blade/blade.