B&K Reference 7270 MKii Amplifier

Options
So, recently I bought this amp to drive all surround and center channels in the HT steup. I originally had Sunfire Cinema, a five channel amp, and Rotel RB1070, a two channel, amp to carry out the duty. Thinking was to consolidate in one amp and call it a day.

The B&K amp works fine. I bought it of course used from A'Gon and it functions well (drives all the channels) without any issues. However, I do see that it runs quite hot, even at moderately low volumes. The other two amps that I had did not run as hot as the B&K. The original owner had it for years and the reason he sold was that he was upgrading (at least that's what I was told..). He had never serviced the amp during its use in his system.

The B&K is a one heavy amp. It is very beefy. It does have a very clean power. I do not hear any hum or hiss when it it turned on.

Now, I have never looked into servicing the amps. I am not sure either as in when it is a time to send it out for servicing/refreshing. What are some of the indicators that one would consider getting the amp refreshed? Also, is it normal for B&K to run hot? It gets such hot that I can't touch it for more than few seconds. It is housed in a well ventilated entertainment center. If the amp is due for service, could you guys help with some recommendations as to who to reach out or send the amp to? Thank you.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I put a AC Infinity component fan on top of my 200.7 just to be safe, but they do run hot.

Aircom T9 IIRC...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)