Want to add some more Power

Options
Drewsmith
Drewsmith Posts: 160
edited May 2004 in Electronics
I have an HK 225 powering my system, and while this does a decent job, I feel the system could benefit with a little more juice.

I assume this meens using a seperate amp, providing the power and my Hk just functions as a control unit.

Funds are kinda limited, what would be a good starting point and what kind of budget should I set?

kindoff an open ended type quesiton, just trying to get a feel for what I need to look at and for how much.
Epson 8100
Directv HR24
WDTV
ONKYO 608
POLK RTI70 Mains
POLK CSI40 Center
POLK RTI28 Surround
HSU STF-2
Post edited by Drewsmith on

Comments

• kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Drew, I believe that the H/K 225 does not have pre-amp outputs to add an external amp. The receivers in last year's H/K line ending w/ -25s only have pre-amp outputs on the 325 and up. The most economical way to obtain a 2-channel amp; it adds more clarity and headroom. I have an Audiosource Amp3, and I'm very happy w/it. Audiosource Amp3 is going around $250+ used. WoodyJacobs has an Audiosource Amp 100 for sale at a very reasonable price. I purchased from him before, and he's a very stand up guy.
  • Drewsmith
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I think it has preamp outputs.

Hmm will have to take a look to confirm.

Looks like you are correct TUT

Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Drew, the 225 does not have pre-amp outs....I have the same receiver.
    I always wondered why the lower models don't put pre-amp out jacks on them.

King was correct that the 325 and up offer pre-amp jacks..
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • kingtut
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I re-checked the info from H/K site, and it said pre-out for sub only.
  • kingtut
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Mike, I believe that the manuf purposely omitted the pre-amp outs for the lower models so the consumers will spend more $ on the more expensive products.
  • Drewsmith
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hmm what would be the most economical way to go about this? I would like to add probably a 5 channel amp.
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • kingtut
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Most economical way: sell your receiver and then use the $ to purchase a used receiver w/pre-amp outs and a five channel amp; Onecall has the 5 channel Carver amp for $288. I listed a receiver w/pre-out on Polk's Flea Market. It is 5.1, so if your system is 7.1, it won't work.

I recently purchased a H/K 525. It's a 7.1 receiver, but I'm still using the 5.1 configuration based on Polk's recommendation. Due to my room configuration, my seating position is against the rear wall, and my surround are to the sides. I emailed Polk regarding the possiblity of adding two rear speakers; truth to Polk's lengendary customer service, they emailed back recommending against adding the two rear speakers w/my seating configuration. Polk exact words were "while we love to sell you more speakers, due to your seating arrangement, adding the rear speakers will cause fatiguing sounds because you will be too close to the rear speakers."
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I recently purchased a H/K 525. It's a 7.1 receiver, but I'm still using the 5.1 configuration based on Polk's recommendation. Due to my room configuration, my seating position is against the rear wall, and my surround are to the sides. I emailed Polk regarding the possiblity of adding two rear speakers; truth to Polk's lengendary customer service, they emailed back recommending against adding the two rear speakers w/my seating configuration. Polk exact words were "while we love to sell you more speakers, due to your seating arrangement, adding the rear speakers will cause fatiguing sounds because you will be too close to the rear speakers."

Try it anyway.

I have the same situation -- seating position is on the rear wall, rears on the side (RTi38's), and I have a 7.1 setup. The surrounds (Fxi30's) hang on the rear wall on each side of the couch. When I went from 5.1 to 7.1, there was a noticeable improvement. Doesn't sound "fatiguing" at all. This setup is certainly not ideal, but it was well worth the extra expense of adding another pair of speakers. If you don't like it, you can always return the speakers.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hey there,
    If you like the HK's I have noticed that the 225's replacement model, the 230, does have all channel preamp outs. They usually go for about $250-$325 plus shipping on HK's ebay store (Harman Audio).

I appreciate the comments from Kingtut about by Audiosource Amp100 but I don't think it would have the juice you need - it is only 50w/channel in stereo mode. You would probably be better off just watching for a 5 channel amp with equal power to all 5 channels than trying to buy seperate amps...which just makes for a complicated setup, IMO. I was running a system with a Yamaha preouting to 3 amps (one to run the center, one to run the mains and a third to run the surrounds) and it just proved to be a pain in the ****. My wife couldn't even figure out how to turn it all on.
    I simplified upon getting a great deal on an HK525 ($400 at Circuit City) and have been selling off my amps. Although I can't bring myself to sell the Soundcraftsmen amp I got from steveinaz. What a great amp that is. I'm not using it right now but it just sounds too good to sell.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • woodyjacobs
    edited May 2004
    Options
    So in other words Drew, you might consider a more powerful receiver like the HK525 and give that a shot before getting into the seperate amps. If, down the road you decide that you want still more power then you will have an amp that already has the preouts.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
  • Drewsmith
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I may just try that, how many watts is the 525 I only have a 5.1 set-up. Wonder if it will be enough increase to notice a difference
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • woodyjacobs
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I think it is 75w x 7, 85w x 2 in stereo mode. The way HK rates their power I bet that it would be very noticeable. I used to have an AVR120 and there is no comparison between that and the 525.

The other two channels are assignable too, which means that you can use them for a second room if you don't want to run a 7.1 system I just run 5.1 also...it is fine for my setup. I use the other two channels to run a stereo pair in my kitchen.

I don't think that there would be enough diff. in between your 225 and a 325, for whatever that is worth.

Woody
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • woodyjacobs
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Also, cosmetically the 525 and it's remote look just like the 225. So you don't really need to learn anything new (except the multiroom stuff) and if you are married you don't have to re-train the Mrs. on operation. In fact you don't even have to let her know that anything has changed. Not that I would do that.
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2004
    Options
    The 525 is 85 x 2 or 70 x 7...