EX series?

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

I"m not a regular in the car audio forums.. I hang mostly in the home audio.

Last time I bought some nice Polk speakers for my car I got EX357's for a 1997 Mazda 626. What happen to the EX series speakers?

Were they replace by some other model?

I now have a 2000 Neon i'd like to replace the stock rear speakers with a nice pair of Polk 6x9's. What do you all recommend for the Neon's rears?

The head unit is just the stock one that is standard for a Neon. no frills. it does drive 6 speakers right now... but the rears really suck for sound. The fronts are passable.. but not the rears.

thanks, Al
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    the EX speakers were replaced by the new DB speakers--which i would recommend since you plan on running them off your head unit
    some type of amp or a new HU would do these speakers a great amount of good and have them really come to life though...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    i'd go in that order, taking a new amp - even a very small one - over a new hu.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    actually, id get a HU before id do anything...but thats me...and i dont think he wants to replace anything but speakers
    another one you might want to look at is JBL's GT speakers...theyre cheaper than the polks, not as good, but still pretty damn good
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    why would you put an hu first? i'd do speakers, then amp, then hu - get clarity, then power, then control.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2004
    I'd not listen to what these guys are saying unless you want to get a new head unit or amp. Otherwise, the DB 6x9's would work out just fine for you and they are actually, a step up from the EX series of speakers. They are cheaper though, IIRC so you kinda get more bang for the buck. I think you would be pleased with the performance especially for the price, even at full retail, they are pretty cheap.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2004
    i just got the car four days ago.. so since the stock deck is ok for now. i decided i'd begin with replacing the rear speakers first. when i listen to tunes right now.. those are the ones that sound the worst to me. a amp and head unit are a few months down the road. but a for sure thing.

Whats the buzz on head units currently? if say you want to stay in the $200 - $300 for a CD head unit? I've had good luck with Pioneers in my last three cars. I don't have experience with any other brands yet.

A stock head unit in a Neon prob won't have preouts huh?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2004
    No, a stock head unit in a Neon will not have pre-outs...unless things have changed and I am unaware!

The only issue I see with starting with replacing the back speakers alone is amplifier clipping. The stock radio and speakers may sound like crap and every one's first, knee-jerk reaction is "THOSE SPEAKERS SOUND LIKE CRAP!!!" when in reality, it may not be teh speakers at all but rather the amplifier clipping. They are most likely paper or paper-thin poly-ethlene or poly-propylene cones and the distortion of the signal caused by the clipping is causing physical distortion of the inadequate cones. So, replacing your rear speakers is a great start but it may not entirely solve the issue you have identified as your reason behind replacing the rear speakers.

As far as headunits go, you can't really go wrong with Pioneer. Personally, Kenwood and Alpine are also at the very top of my list. Others will name other brands that are either more expensive or just a different flavor altogether. When you get into "high end" headunits, you start seeing rapidly diminishing returns. Really, Pioneer Premier and Kenwood eXcelon are about as "high end" as you really need to go unless you are competing and looking for that extra edge.

The main thing, as with home audio, is not to let every brand **** out there try and sway your opinion or experience with thier slanted pontification and blind allegiance. I guess you can say that occurs here with Polk Audio but I really don't see a blind allegiance to Polk Audio here and if there is, I don't think it is undeserved. Basically though, don't let every putz with an opinion out there fillibuster you into getting something you really didn't want or like.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    w00t for choices!!! yeah, i concur on eXcelon - that's what i have - but i like alpine and pioneer too.

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    i have pioneer
    the reason i would go with a deck first is because one, you get better power to all your speakers(over a stock radio)
    then theres ease of installing the amp
    then theres the fact that you dont have to reinstall the amp to the radio
    plus all the settings are always nice to have
    an aftermarket HU can make your stock speakers sound better
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    okay, i see what you mean. that makes sense, especially the part about rewiring the amp.