momo 12" sub #5 being sent back to polk

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
yes, thats right, to add to my amazing luck, ive blown a sub
well actually, a few weeks ago i posted that my amp blew and i sent it back to RF and they said they fixed it, but im not sure if anything was wrong with it b/c i just automatically assumed it was the amp because of my infinite faith in Polk
well i go to install the amp today...ive had it for like 2 weeks and its just been in my room sitting there
and the damn thing wont even turn on
i switch the power wires and the REM wire from another amp that was working to the one that wasnt
nothing
call RF
after another 30 minutes of trouble shooting over the phone...nothing
i get an RA number and they send me some UPS thing to my email that i print out and put on the box so it doesnt cost me money to ship
well one of the things i did over the phone was switch out fuses, even though the one on the distro block did not appear to be blown
so i switched, still the amp would not turn on
well i get off the phone with RF and go to reinstall everything i have pulled apart
now the amp for my components wont turn on
at this point im about to kill somebody
i troubleshoot it with no results
i take out the fuse and replace it with another one
comes on
and im like hey...this might be the fuse i used to test the 550S that i just got back from RF
so i get another fuse and put it in the distroblock going to the "blown" 550S
success
it turns on
turns out the fuse that i originally had was blown
and the fuse i used to test it with was right out of the distro block of another amp that was working
well i guess when i snapped it in it broke as well
none of them appeared to be blown, but they were
at this point im think...alright! everything IS working
hook it up to the speaker
nothing
wtf?
switch out some wires on the amp even though im 99% sure theyre right
nothing
so i hook it up to the sub that is working
the sub starts playing
at this point im thinking maybe the wire somehow came off the terminal on the inside of the box, either on the sub itself or the spring-loaded terminal on the box
i mean i did take the grill off, even though i did not move it at all, i didnt think i did anyway...i had it upright when i took it out so i wouldnt have to mess with it
well i take the sub out and hook it up directly the speaker wire on the amp
nothing
at this point i knew...the mm124 was dead
i press the cone in and it sounds like sand paper
im guessing the voice coil is TOTALLY FRIED
i have never heard a speaker sound like this
if i hit it kind of hard i can actually hear the metal that has come apart
sounds like a spring almost
so Polk is getting a call tomorrow...its still in warranty for another 3 months...lol
i am just having one awesome week...:rolleyes:
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• spud
    spud Posts: 6
    edited May 2004
    I had the same problem out of my dx104 subs. All 3 that I had did the same thing as you describe. So, I took one apart and the voice coil former was broken. I have never had good luck out of the seven 10 inch polk subs I have had. Now the 8 inch polk subs I have had, (3 in all, 2 db and 1 dx) have all performed admirably.

I currently have 2 mm12's and haven't had any problems out of them. I have owned them since August of last year, but they haven't been used since february. I put 6 months of good use on them and never had a problem. The reason I took them out is because the electrical system in my car was not able to supply enough power for my amp.

Currently I am running two 8 inch resonant engineering subs in a 1.6 cu. ft. ported enclosure tunned to 34 htz. With this setup I don't draw huge amounts of current and they sound just as good as the MM's did.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    man, cody, this is just not your month. all i can claim is a soldering gun burn and a 4x6 to the jaw... kinda strange how all the bad stuff piles on all at once, huh?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    ive figured out why its all happening at once
    its because our school is giving out a 2000 mustang, and im going to win it
    but i have to go through a lot of misfortune first so it evens out
    lol
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    that must be it... wouldn't it be creepy, though, if you won?? :p

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    man, cody, this is just not your month. all i can claim is a soldering gun burn and a 4x6 to the jaw... kinda strange how all the bad stuff piles on all at once, huh?

Reminds me of the time I grabbed a soldering iron by the wrong end. That's a mistake you never make twice.

Good Luck!
    PolkThug
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    that must be it... wouldn't it be creepy, though, if you won?? :p
    lol...if i did...my truck would be sold and there would be momos in my mustang
    lol
    its only a v6...but its a 5 speed manual...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    lol...if i did...my truck would be sold and there would be momos in my mustang
    lol
    its only a v6...but its a 5 speed manual...
    -Cody

V8, V6, 4 banger.....your forgetting the most important feature....its free!! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    i second that! even if it is a mustang...

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    yeah, it is a ford, but for a v6 mustang...it looks pretty sweet
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    i second that! even if it is a mustang...
    HEY! That's not funny! I drive a V6 5 speed mustang. Hey, it's not the fastest car, but for the money, you can't beat it. Especially since the Camaro and Firebird have been discontinued. It's like the Polk of the car world. 200 horsies for only $17k brand new. No more dissing Mustangs allowed :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2