RTA12B and RTA12C Questions

Options
Hello, new to CP and the forum, bought first Polks [Monitor 10a] back in 1979-
I was given a pair of hybrid RTA12B and C recently and now trying to figure them out. Have been reading forum chats here to learn more and heres where I am with them--
Both cabinets say RTA12C, but both have crossovers marked RTA12B.
Only 2 drivers were with them, not installed. They are both MW6600x.
One tweeter is an HF1000, and the other is an SL1000.
The series numbers associated with tweeters are 22 16963 and 22 16960.
I know from reading forum posts that there was overlap in manufacture, and the previous owner said his brother removed the drivers 15 yrs ago. Not used since[?]
Now, I installed the MW6600x's [one in each speaker], and put one Dayton audio 8-ohm speaker with them in each cabinet to test if anything worked....
Well, hooked to a 95 wpc Sony receiver and played at low volume [in case there was a booby-trap in them, just kiddin']. They played!!! BUT, one of the 6600x's not moving and the other one not much movement.
So, what should I do? Since cant find any MW6600x's or 6501's, should I just get 2 more Dayton speakers and play on? I know the modding of caps would help, but I'm not able to do them. Are these 4-ohm speakers originally? Any problems if I used these 8-ohm Daytons in there? Sorry to write a book here, but hopefully the plot kept someone who can help me interested! I called Polk twice and emailed for advice, but nothing.
BTW- I also currently own M4 Series 2's, Monitor 7's, Monitor 10's and RTA11T. I love me some Polks. I found these RTA12 mongrel dusty-hybrids on Craigslist [I'm never that lucky normally] and figured since they were free... then again, maybe this is not luck after all... Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Nice Polk audio speaker collection you have going on there.

First off, those original woofers...

Do the cones move freely and easily when you gently push in and then release on the cone near the dust caps?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • beazer
    beazer Posts: 3
    Options
    No, both are pretty tight. One is slightly more pliable.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    From what I know the 12B came with Peerless tweeters. If the box is marked 12c I'd say they were 12c. Even if the crossovers still had the 12b marked on them. I think that was normal.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    beazer wrote: »
    No, both are pretty tight. One is slightly more pliable.

Sounds like you need to replace those too.

I highly doubt Parts express woofers will equal the originals. But if your budget is tight...go for it.

Tell us your thoughts afterwards.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    MW6600 come up often on ebay. Be patient and they'll come up more often than MW6501.