Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc Yes Fragile

tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,651
edited January 2020 in Music & Movies
Wife bought me a copy for Christmas. Didn’t receive until after due to shipping.

Finally had a chance to sit down and give it a good listen. A great album and a fantastic pressing.

If you have a chance to pick it up I highly recommend.

rmzaet5tfw53.jpeg
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
Post edited by tratliff on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Very nice Todd.
    While I do not have the Album I do own the SACD and DVD-Audio both well done.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I have a copy of that as well, but I am temped not to open it and see if it will be worth a bunch later on.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Is that a CD, DVD-A or SACD?
  • nooshinjohn
    LP...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tratliff
    I have a copy of that as well, but I am temped not to open it and see if it will be worth a bunch later on.

I doubt it will be worth that much more. That is unless you hold onto it for 20 years.

Every album I buy get opened. All but some of the Beatles which I already have a gazillion copies of.

It sounds great.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    Yes LP.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's one of the SUPER fancy pressings right? Like different than a typical MoFi.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    tratliff wrote: »

I doubt it will be worth that much more. That is unless you hold onto it for 20 years.

Every album I buy get opened. All but some of the Beatles which I already have a gazillion copies of.

It sounds great.

I wish I had a few copies of Abraxas...

• tratliff
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That's one of the SUPER fancy pressings right? Like different than a typical MoFi.

Yes
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Nice! I wonder how it compares to the Steven Wilson remastering recently discussed here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185385/has-anybody-listened-to-steven-wilsons-yes-vinyl#latest

After some soul-searching and introversion, I figured out that I have a real penchant towards early 70s progressive rock, so yeah, one of my favorites B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Enjoy for sure. Classic album
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I've always been tempted by the MoFi one-step pressings, but I can never pull the trigger. But I was eyeing this one more so than past releases. Great gift!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tratliff
    I've always been tempted by the MoFi one-step pressings, but I can never pull the trigger. But I was eyeing this one more so than past releases. Great gift!

It is a great gift. I also have the SRV, Donald Fagan and Marvin Gaye.

They are pricy but not really that far of a stretch than what I pay for some original pressings or unopened MFSL from the 70’s and 80’s.

If you have not tried one you should get while you can.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    VERY cool. I don't do vinyl, but if I did, I would have this one!

I have the gold CD (both the Atlantic ones (both versions)) and the MFSL one, the Japanese SACD, the DVD-A, the original Japanese pressing, remastered Japanese pressing (original with the white tray), remastered US CD, and the re-remaster of the US CD.

I bet this one sounds excellent!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I also got this after Christmas but have not played it yet. Good to hear its a good pressing. Now lets see how much it goes up in price! B)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

It sounds great.

In twenty years anyone that would be interested in it will be dead.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158

That's what I'm thinking too. When the baby boomers fade away the prices will go down. Its crazy that Abraxas UDS1 has gone up to 1,300.00 on Discogs! :o
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    gce wrote: »

That's what I'm thinking too. When the baby boomers fade away the prices will go down.

It sounds like some people didn't raise their children properly. :)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056

It sounds great.

I agree crank that baby bet it sounds great.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    I pre-ordered from MoFi when it was announced as a candidate for UD1S. Finally got it....#2693/7500. Hmmm...not as low of a number as I thought I would get. I have been told to get a low number it needs to be ordered via MusicDirect, since they own MoFi.
    [
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Has anyone here heard other One-Step pressings (Dylan, SRV, etc.) or are you afraid of breaking the seals?
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    miner wrote: »
    I pre-ordered from MoFi when it was announced as a candidate for UD1S. Finally got it....#2693/7500. Hmmm...not as low of a number as I thought I would get. I have been told to get a low number it needs to be ordered via MusicDirect, since they own MoFi.
    Unless MD is having the shipping or pressing plant manually pull the albums, I'd imagine the numbers they get are just as random as any other vendor. And on the flip side, if they are going to manually pull the lower numbers, they could be selling those at a higher margin on their site or to any vendor that they wanted to work with.
    I usually only see Elusive Disc advertise having low numbers, and it usually is a higher price and separate part number from the "main" product. It's also not that common. I get the feeling they sort those out themselves once they receive their stock.

One other item on low numbers - it is fun to get a low number, but the number is really only on the jacket. #3 on the jacked could still be #20,000 off the press line.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tratliff
    maxward wrote: »
    Has anyone here heard other One-Step pressings (Dylan, SRV, etc.) or are you afraid of breaking the seals?

I have the Yes, SRV, Marvin Gaye and Donald Fagen. All of them opened and played. They are all tops in my vinyl collection.
  • maxward
    Thanks. Good to hear. I’m a fan of Patricia Barber and am thinking about doing a preorder. I have a fair number of “audiophile” discs, but none that cost me anywhere near what MoFi asks.
  • nooshinjohn
    The Patricia Barber pressing is not a MoFi...

• maxward
    I see. Impex one-step, but the asking price is the same. Should have looked closer and will probably pass on it. Thanks.
  • miner
    miner wrote: »
    Unless MD is having the shipping or pressing plant manually pull the albums, I'd imagine the numbers they get are just as random as any other vendor. And on the flip side, if they are going to manually pull the lower numbers, they could be selling those at a higher margin on their site or to any vendor that they wanted to work with.
    I usually only see Elusive Disc advertise having low numbers, and it usually is a higher price and separate part number from the "main" product. It's also not that common. I get the feeling they sort those out themselves once they receive their stock.

One other item on low numbers - it is fun to get a low number, but the number is really only on the jacket. #3 on the jacked could still be #20,000 off the press line.

MD owns MoFi so they get choice pickings. I found this out while waiting for my Donald Fagen The Nightfly. The dealer I bought I t from told me that MD get first bathches and they typically are the first to sell them, while I was asking where my order was.
    [
  • miner
    I have all but Santana - I waited too long before trying to buy so now I buy once they are announced.
    [