Sunfire and Rti

bms
bms Posts: 182
Just checking to see if anyone has experience with the Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 channel amp. Seems to be some confusion on wpc depending on when it was produced.

Would this be a good match for my Rti 10’s, 6’s, and CSi5? Does $750 sound like a reasonable deal?
bms
Family Room:
Onkyo TX-RZ920
Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
Sony UBP-X700
Sony A80J 77” OLED
Polk LSiM 705’s
Polk LSiM 706
Polk LSiM 703’s
Polk RTi4's
Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
Onkyo TX-SR806
PS3
Panasonic TC-P42G10
Polk RTi10's
Polk CSi5
Polk R50's
SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
Onkyo TX-SR603X

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Seems like a decent price. Not sure about wattage discrepancies, but a few here run Sunfire amps. The warmer sound sig should mate well with the RTi series.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yes and yes.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Careful Tom or you'll get accused of being blunt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Loved my Sunfire Cinema Grand. Wish I'd never gotten rid of it, but I was downgrading at the time and it seemed like a good idea.

Great sound and was the coolest running amp I've ever had. Good lookin' also. Never paired it with RTi's, but I suspect it would be a good pairing.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Had one which I sold off recently. I used it to drive CSi A6, FXI A6s, but not the RTi A9s. It has clean power which drove those speakers quite well. Of course, I hooked it up with the center channel and the surround speakers, but still enjoyed the amp in the system. The only reason I sold it was to consolidate two separate amps into one 7-channel amp.

The Sunfire Cinema ran fairly cold to slightly warm, but not hot at all. I would get it for about 650-700 or so...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    The wattage discrepancy is this... There is a Cinema Grand with 200/225wpc @ 8ohms or a Cinema Grand Signature at 400/425wpc @8ohm. Both versions double down at 4ohms.

There is also a Stereo Grand with 300wpc or Stereo Grand Signature @600wpc. The higher powered variants of either line are far more desirable than their lesser powered cousins, because they simply sound much better. I had a 200x5 and did not like it one bit, and I do regret selling the 600/2 and the 425/7 that I had. They were great amps.

That said, the newer TGA 5200/7201 and the TGA 5400/7401are superior to their counterparts from the Cinema line and given the older ones are now due for being recapped, the TGA line represents a better value IMHO.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Great info! I hope due diligence is well received. Well done!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    That said, the newer TGA 5200/7201 and the TGA 5400/7401are superior to their counterparts from the Cinema line and given the older ones are now due for being recapped, the TGA line represents a better value IMHO.

I have the TGA 5400 in my HT for around 15 years with no issue. A few years ago I moved my previous stereo amps into the HT so now the 5400 only powers the center and rears, but everything plays nice together.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    What’s the LOL for Rooftop?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

He thinks you're funny, dipstick. Pay attention.
  • BlueFox
    That’s interesting. There isn’t a post by Rooftop in this thread that I can see. Nor any post with an LOL in it. Is this another Vanilla issue?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Operator error. Please reset your operating system and wait for the restart to complete.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Operator error. Please reset your operating system and wait for the restart to complete.

No difference. Can you quote Rooftop’s post so I can see it?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Bud, you need some coffee this morning bro'. He doesn't have a post.

Look at post #7 and hover over the LOL.

Tom
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2020
    Bud, you need some coffee this morning bro'. He doesn't have a post.

Look at post #7 and hover over the LOL.

Tom

The only post with LOL in it is John’s post asking

Hovering over LOL, or clicking on it does nothing.

That is post 10. Post 7 is John’s post advising to buy the Sunfire TGA gear.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Wow. This reminds me of the Black Paint thread. I ain't going through this bullschiff again. I'm out. You figure it out.

Tom
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    lightman1 wrote: »

He thinks you're funny, dipstick. Pay attention.

Yea I guess after a third whiskey I thought you was a funny guy! 😂😂😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    BlueFox wrote: »

No difference. Can you quote Rooftop’s post so I can see it?

*smacks forehead*