Remote control extenders

Options
Hey all, I listen a lot to my rig all day whist I am working at home. Looking for some options...

Here is the scenario. Usually I either turn it down to a level that I can answer calls in the office and understand what folks are saying or I use Tidal. Tidal is convenient because I can either use my phone or my laptop at the desk to control the volume, pause the music, change the music or turn up/down the music at will.

I'd like the same convenience whilst sitting at the desk but NOT using Tidal. I prefer listening to the rig on physical media whether it be in the office or in the sweet spot.

Now please allow me to digress. Decades back I had this product called "Leapfrog" that I could control the AVR with on another floor level (Split level) as I was playing pool/watching the Playboy channel with friends downstairs (Awesome bachelor life!). All I had to do while I was downstairs was point the remote at the Leapfrog and it would do anything to the rig (AVR) that the remote would normally do as if I was sitting in the LR where it was located.

I was wondering if they had something just like this but better. With the advancement of technology, they may have one now that accepts commands from all remote controls, not just old school remotes (The Leaprog was limited to IR only). I seem to remember that a small cord used to have to go directly in front of the remote sensor and that it had to have been moved away from said location while I was back in the LR.

I don't want that anymore. What I am looking for (and I don't even know if they make it) is a universal remote "Leapfrog" or remote control extender that may sit above the listening position and point to everything on the rig. That way, I can control everything at a moments notice from the office instead of walking back to the stereo room when I am listening to physical media. Sometimes, I'd like to skip the song back or rewind just a little bit. Sometimes I want to crank the HELL out of a particular song but still be able to mute it if I need to take an important phone call, then resume when the call is over.

Am I living in a pipe dream or have they actually advanced the ol' Leapfrog technology to benefit my preferences today?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Harmony companion.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    So the Harmony remote would stay in the office and the hub would be in the listening room? No Alexa crap needed?

Would the remote work through 2 walls at a distance of about 30-40 feet in order to get to said hub?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Yes and I think so on the last one.

I’ll try it.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Yes, so you know the layout of my house, I took the remote from the bedroom unit and walked all the way to the fireplace in the front of the house and it worked fine
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    Nice. Thanks man.

Tom
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    Options
    Yep this is what I use: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-companion

The app on your phone or tablet can also control it as long as you are on your network...the hub has wireless, Bluetooth, and it built in....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer