Polks SDA 2B TL mod

Options
2»

Comments

• keck
    keck Posts: 36
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Do NOT try to round out the edge. The particleboard is very weak and you will most likely end up with a mess. If you use H Nuts, ensure that you use the penetrating epoxy on the edges first and let it dry properly before you attempt the h nuts remount. Apply the epoxy to both the rim on which the basket sits, as well as the edge that goes into the speaker. I used moretite caulk to replace the gaskets. Use moretite only if you use the penetrating sealant as if you dont, the particleboard will break off sticking to the moretite. As I said earlier, go with cheaper binding posts as long as they are decent quality and aesthetically pleasing... again Dayton makes a decent product. Definitely not Cardas quality - but you are not going to discern any audible difference here.

Sorry..... I post before reading your comment.. Thanks for the info.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Hopefully someone with experience will chime in, which is not me. I'm wondering what people think of the Erse Pulse X Polypropylene caps here: http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX

I used them for my Monitor 10s and was very happy with them.
  • keck
    Options
    By the way, i can still order RD0-198 from Polks? Do they still carry them, or i will need to order from other site?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2020
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    I don't get the impression that Dayton's are all that well thought of by folks here. Your list shows you going with Clarity caps for the low pass though so I'm confused......

Have used them before, and outside this forum, they are well thought of.
    DIY forums view this stuff FAR differently by the way.

Do you feel alone ? Lmao. I thought I post useless post & I do. But read this a few times & all I can do is scratch my head

I am not even sure what you are replying to......??

I said I had used Dayton caps and outside this forum (in reference to what someone else said) Dayton caps are well regarded.

What do you not understand??
    I am scratching my head about why you even replied TO THAT comment
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    keck wrote: »
    By the way, i can still order RD0-198 from Polks? Do they still carry them, or i will need to order from other site?

Try calling Polk Audio. They may still carry them. Discounts being a member. Someone here has the # . Looking forward to your impression when your project is over. Great speakers to upgrade
    Randy/Maine
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Midwest Speaker......Polk RD0198.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • keck
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    2 x 0.22 Ohm Vishay Mills MRA-12

That should be 2 x 0.5 ohm.

Hi F1, there is no 0.5ohm for Vishay Mills 12watts, I only see 0.5omhs for Vishay Mills 5watts. Does it work for 5 watts?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    The original resistors are 5 watt rated, so yes that one will work. Otherwise you could use this one, http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/047-ohm-mills-mra-12-p-690
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk