Interesting news out of Russia today...

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
'Scuse me while I nerd a moment here but this is much more significant than most folks would think.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/01/08/1628226/russian-journals-retract-more-than-800-papers-after-bombshell-investigation?utm_source=feedburnerFaceBook&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Slashdot/slashdot+(Slashdot)&utm_content=FaceBook&fbclid=IwAR3Xhha2ayKr8jAbHPgMeeaA0G4jcJuY57kuB3TsGlZVoCtkLz-lCFrA7QE

It kinda brings in to question EVERY paper published by Russian scientists and the veracity of the work they have done.

That's significant because in recent years, a number of breakthroughs is gene manipulations and atomic sciences have come out of Russia and Russian scientist collaborations with other scientists around the globe.

It's like being stuck in a group project in school and Russia is that one kid that slacks off the entire time and then, all of a sudden, comes up with some brilliant work they managed just whip up overnight. Makes you wonder how they did it and if it isn't just made up so they could get a passing grade.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    The moves come in the wake of several other queries suggesting the vast Russian scientific literature is riddled with plagiarism, self-plagiarism, and so-called gift authorship, in which academics become a co-author without having contributed any work.
    Looks like the issue is attribution of authorship -- not necessarily the work presented per se.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    If you go look at the article that the Slashdot article aggregated from, they go in to further detail and link to other stories from the past where the veracity of a few studies had been brought in to question.

Mainly because people who were cited in the publications had their work published in the publications yet never contributed to it. The issues arose when a few of the cited, non-contributors expressed concern that the work they did that was cited was not relevant to the study the paper was published on.

Besides, much of the retractions were from Russian only publications but the problem is that most of those publications are certified and shared internationally. So if the studies are erroneous, plagiarized or "recycled" then results of the studies are questionable because the data sets used for the study may not have even been created by the study using them. That makes it hard to verify the study since anyone trying to duplicate results won't have the base to compare it against.

Additionally, much of the works under question came out out of Russian government sponsored studies soooo....yeah. Putin has a good poker face but you can't trust him as far you can throw him.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/russian-journals-retract-more-800-papers-after-bombshell-investigation
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The irony of which is... I am still an AAAS member (i.e., I still subscribe to Science)... but did I check there? No... :( I am chagrined.

The thing about unearned authorships is (still) a significant problem in peer-reviewed literature. From the standpoint of a big-name researcher, it's a risky proposition, though... 'cause... indeed, sometimes one's name ends up on bogus work.

EDIT: Actually, the Science piece seems focused mostly on plagiarism and self-plagiarism, too -- I am not seeing much that implies, much less states, there are issues with the studies themselves.

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    PhD= Phony Data
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I beg your pardon?

;)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    PhD= Phony Data

I thought it meant piling hire and deeper?!? Was I lied to???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    PhD= Phony Data

Yes! Doctor of Philosphy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    My son and I (both PhDs, albeit in very different disciplines) like to refer to graduate education as remedial college.

B)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    PhD= Phony Data

I could have went with the cliche "Poor Hungry Doctor", but experience predicates the former.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.