Surround speakers from a pair of monitor 10s.

Options
Im planning on a atmos setup in the future and would like some surrounds to match my sda srs tonally. I have a set of monitor 10 im not using. Im figure if i grab 2 more tweeters i can build 4 suroound speakers from the parts. Has anyone done this and had any success?? Im not looking to break any records or measure these in a anechoic chamber for a flat response bla bla bla. Just somthing that will sound decent.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    I don't know. My thought would be why not buy a couple pair of used M5's and keep your M10s whole.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    I don't know. My thought would be why not buy a couple pair of used M5's and keep your M10s whole.

Thays a not a bad idea. They might look a little funny hanging on the wall tho. Also i would need a few sets of them and they are not to common it seems. Im not sure if i need the passive radiators for surround as not much low frequencies will be going to these tho. Not to sure as i am not to familiar with atmos. Kind of learning as i go here.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    I also might have to build a center channel to match. Right now i have a paradigm millenia 30 but i dont think that will sound right with the polks. Just not sure yet
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    5jrs might work better, even the ported if they will be Atmos speakers. M4's could work too. I would recommend using a M10 for the center and run it full range (or maybe use both on their side). As for the rest of the surrounds, I have come to enjoy running them full range (RTA 11s) and getting bass from them. It depends on your receiver how it equalizes each speaker. Some over boost the rear bass if you run them full range, others allow you to adjust it.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    5jrs might work better, even the ported if they will be Atmos speakers. M4's could work too. I would recommend using a M10 for the center and run it full range (or maybe use both on their side). As for the rest of the surrounds, I have come to enjoy running them full range (RTA 11s) and getting bass from them. It depends on your receiver how it equalizes each speaker. Some over boost the rear bass if you run them full range, others allow you to adjust it.

Ive never seen the monitor 4 before. Those look like they would fit the bill perfectly. Mmm. Now to find a couple sets
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »

Ive never seen the monitor 4 before. Those look like they would fit the bill perfectly. Mmm. Now to find a couple sets

Are you running the rta11 as sides, front , or front sides?
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Right now my surround sound is only 5.1 (no center). I use the RTA11T's as rear surround, and have had a pair as the front, but now just use SDA 2.3's for the front. I tried a 7.1 setup (no center) using M5jr+'s (the ones with the passive) but my rear space is currently limited and I was not that impressed. The full back speakers didn't add much dimension. The room / speaker correction also boosted the sub bass to the 5jrs too much if I ran them full range so I had to limit the volume too much. If I turned the correction off, or ran them as small, it was not as fulfilling. I tried them as 5.1 with another receiver as the amp so I could boost the bass. That was better. That is what got me thinking about putting something larger for the rears. The 11T's are about the right height. It's impressive to get a good rumble from the side. I notice a difference if I turn them to small.

I would try the M10's as surround in a 5.1 as an experiment to see if you like the added surround bass.