rd0514 replacement

Hello,

I have a pair of R10 speakers and I have to replace the rd0514 driver in one of them (or perhaps, fixing it - with replacing the voice coil by another unbranded one).
Currently, my dilemma is whether to fix the voice coil, buy an old second handed R10 speaker and use it instead, or to replace the rd0514 driver (which is my favorite solution because I would like to achieve the precise sound I had). The problem with the last is, that there are no more rd0514 available anywhere, so I have been offered to use a MW5530/MW5531/MW5532 instead (which they claim them all to be the exact same sound quality, while the only difference is in the cone color and whether there is a shielded can over the magnet).

Now, my questions for you are the following:

1. What would you do if you were me?
2. Can you provide me an explanation on the difference between the different models I stated?

Thank you!

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I would try posting your issue in the "Customer Service" section and I would also try to contact Polk Customer Service by telephone.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • RonTG
    RonTG Posts: 7
    Thank you, I was not sure where to post it... Will do.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    I would try posting your issue in the "Customer Service" section and I would also try to contact Polk Customer Service by telephone.

CS doesn't regularly monitor the forum anymore. Best to call them....
  • These Polk 5 1/4 woofers are drop in replacements: MW 5531, 5532, 5533. I would get a pair so both speakers are the same. I have replaced the woofers in my R10 with MW5532 and they actually sound better. The MW5532 is from the higher end RT25 and has a bigger magnet. The MW5533 is from the CS245 center channel speaker and while the cone is a different color, the magnet size seems to be the same as the RD0514 but it remains to be seen if they sound the same.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The OP hasn't been here since January 2020.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk