Polk Monitor 10B Speakers: I Have Questions

Options
First post.

I’m slowing replacing my aging electronics and as part of the process I’ve decided I may have to part with my beloved Polk Monitor 10B’s, which I purchased in 1987(?). They are in excellent shape. They are the real oak veneers with scarcely a scratch or nick in the wood. I have the factory stands for them as well.

I was going to take some photos for the purpose of listing the speakers on Craigslist. When I took off the grill on one of them I was dismayed to see that one of the driver’s center area is dimpled. I have no idea how this could have happened, though if I had to guess I’m thinking one of my kids had something to do with it. Anyway, how can I pop that dimple out so the speaker looks normal?

m3abkog4vk65.jpg

Also, I have been reading the forum here (great resource, BTW) and I have seen discussions that the tweeters on the Monitor 10B’s had several versions. What are these versions and which ones are desirable? Also, can someone tell me which tweeter set I have? In the photo, it’s hard to read but it does say, “Silver Coil Dome” just underneath the Polk Audio logo on the tweeter housing. I’ve also included a picture of the serial number of the speaker.

bf1klaeumm39.jpg

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Tweeter is SL2000 and most will take those out and replace with the much superior RD-0194 tweeter. I have popped the dust cover back out with my vacuum hose. It takes two people to be safe. If I was you I'd start with some tape and see if you can't get it back out that way first. The dust cover usually still shows visibly that is was pushed in from the wrinkles.

Welcome to the forum by the way

Try the tape first. Find some real sticky stuff like gray duct tape type stuff. Gentle place it on as much of the pushed in area as you can it give a good pull. I'd support the woofer with one hand just so you don't pull the cone out too far and do more damage.
  • Qs_Laptop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Try the tape first. Find some real sticky stuff like gray duct tape type stuff. Gentle place it on as much of the pushed in area as you can it give a good pull. I'd support the woofer with one hand just so you don't pull the cone out too far and do more damage.

I realized I never posted a follow up to this. I wanted to report that the tape method worked!

I used gray duct tape. I made a loop of tape around my index and middle finger, adhesive side facing outwards. I then pressed the sticky side of the tape using my index finger into the crumpled area and pull outwards, using your suggestion to support the woofer with my other hand. First couple of attempts didn't pull out the dent so next time when I adhered the tape to the dent I rubbed my finger tip back-and-forth gently for several seconds to make the tape stick better. I also pulled out the tape a bit more sharply than previous attempts, and success! I got almost all of it to pop back into the convex shape, only a small "divot" remained. I repeated my rubbing back-and-forth trick again, pull on the tape, and it's fixed.

Thank you.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you decide to keep the Polks. They are a great sounding speaker when fully modded.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus