Any Lionel/O-gauge fans?

Options
This Christmas, I gave my son the very same engine as my grandfather gave my dad way back in 1956, a Lionel GP7 Milwaukee Road #2338. The look of joy on his face was priceless as he opened up the throttle on it and watched it go around the rails. This has awakened my love of the model railroad hobby, and led me to get my boy another pretty cool locomotive, a 4-6-4 Hudson from the LRRC 100th anniversary collection. It also has shown me I need a much better transformer than the one I have now.

Anyone else into Lionel or other O gauge!
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Definitely consider myself a fan of both (Lionel/O), though I must admit I never got involved in that gauge on a personal level. I enjoy seeing them modeled and detailed,
    and have been to a couple of club layouts where they can really shine. But I always found they were out of my price range, and since I had modeled my "home road" (LIRR), I wanted to keep the spirit of a linear layout - it doesn't get much more linear than Long Island. But at the same time, I wanted a walkaround-style layout too, and I never had the space needed for 48" minimum radius curves that O-gauge cries for.
    So I always leaned towards HO. There are so many manufacturers and brands to choose from, so it keeps the prices reasonable. Yeah, I know you can spend serious $$$ on a Marklin brass loco, but if you can accept cheaper alternatives, HO is tough to beat.

Once I get my man-cave squared away, I'm going to try to get something put together in a spare room. It won't be like my last layout, but it's better than leaving all my rolling stock collecting dust in the attic.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    I always had American Flyer, My older cousins gave up there sets to me. Had quite the layout when I was young. Boxed up in my spare bedroom now. I see the locomotives are big money on the bay now. Wish the Grandkids had room to set it up.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Yeah, HO was for sissys. Did you ever try to weaponize HO track?
  • polrbehr
    edited January 2020
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hey, come on now, no need for insults here. We sure don't want this thread to get........

derailed.
    :p
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• afterburnt
    edited January 2020
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hey, come on now, no need for insults here. We sure don't want this thread to get........

derailed.
    :p

You are right, Gumby had HO and he was no sissy!

https://youtu.be/61lS7efOg7U
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Gumby Vs. O Guage. Warning graphic violence, viewer discretion advised.

https://youtu.be/Qs7fpgq6LUY
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Who's the green private dick
    That's a sex machine to all the chicks? (Gumby)
    You're damn right
    Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother, man? (Gumby)
    Can ya dig it?
    Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about? (Gumby)
    Right on
    You see this cat Gumby is a bad mother (Shut your mouth)
    But I'm talkin' about Gumby (Then we can dig it)
    He's a complicated man but no one understands him but his woman (Gumby)

Everybody sing!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited January 2020
    Options
    A high school friend had been a railfan from an early age. He amassed a very impressive collection of photos taken from all across the U.S. He probably had at least 50,000, maybe more, 35 mm, usually Kodachrome, color slides. Most he had taken, some rare older slides of steam engines he bought. He later became an engineer for the BNSF. He also collected Athearn HO engines, cars etc. I'm sure he had hundreds of those. I don't think he ever actually built a model railroad. He never married. He was found dead in his apartment a few years ago. His sister said the landlord tossed everything into a dumpster. Slides, trains etc. Many of his fellow railfans that knew of his extensive collection were very pizzed with the loss of such an irreplaceable collection. Truly sad.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Lucked out with an on-line estate sale a couple days ago. Along with nearly 90 feet of track, enough to build a nice garden setup and a couple dozen freight cars, I scored this...

p50ytogyhvhd.jpg
    2g1kddjbjhkc.jpg

Not a picture of my specific train. Mine is still sealed inside the factory shipping box and has never been opened. My understanding is this version is somewhat rare.... anyway I got it and all the stuff listed above for less than a grand.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats, nice find John!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I just watched "Bad Day at Black Rock" (1955). I have always liked the train shots in these opening credits. Coincidentally, this thread popped up in "Recent discussions", so I thought I would post this clip here as it is somewhat on topic. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEVaQf8GM4
  • polrbehr
    Options
    John-
    I would open that factory sealed box and make sure that loco is in there, and not just a couple of bricks. Unless you plan on never using it and just keeping it for collectible
    value, there's no reason not to check and make sure it's there... not to mention seeing if all the pieces are intact. Nice score, though.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    She isn't going to be a closet queen. I intend on running it on the rails as soon as I get my hands on it. I will also be getting a display case to put it in so I can show it off a bit as well. This one is a prize for sure.

The local shop here in Burbank wants to buy it already.

• polrbehr
    Options
    Display case = good idea. You don't want someone dropping it on the floor because they went to pick it up and didn't realize how heavy it was. That thing should have some insane pulling power.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Nearly 4 pounds of force. Enough to pull about 60 cars on the right setup.