NAD 216 THX

Options
I found on my local subdivision's website a NAD power amplifier model 216 THX for $250
The post says this:

"Hoping to find a good home for my beloved NAD 216 amplifier. I have owned this amplifier for almost two years, but have too many at this point and something needs to go.
I have completely refurbished the entire amplifier and at the same time tested and replaced any out-of spec components in the entire amplifier. I have also added a IEC plug on the rear.

An overview of the refurbishment of the amplifier (all premium parts from digi-key or mouser):
- replaced all 8 power transistors on left channel, with matched higher power replacements (two of the eight tested out-of spec)
- Removed and tested all small signal/driver transistors, replaced any that tested out-of-spec
- Replaced all Capacitors, power supply and both amp boards (replaced with Nichicon PS 105-degree)
- Replaced protection/soft-start relay with a Omron G2R-2-DC48 clear housing relay
- Replaced the signal wires with Mogami instrument shielded cable as well as new locking connectors
- Replaced the low-level and protection cables, with new high current silicon wire and JST connectors

Amp is in very good condition, from the outside I would say 7/10 conservatively (minor scratches on top of front panel - had trouble getting pics to show it). It includes the rear speaker connector cover, which is usually gone. It does show a few spots of rush on the inside of the case.
I have tested the amp under dummy load as well as listened to it for close to two years - works flawlessly. I have also recently checked/set the bias and speaker offset to NAD's spec.

Rated at 125 watts in to 8-ohms and 200 watts in to 4-ohms. Also rated at 400 watts bridged-mono into 8-ohms. Very versatile old school, high-current amplifier. Unit is heavy, weighs ~35 pounds.

Does this sound a good deal?
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments