THis set-up any good?

xSupaKx
xSupaKx Posts: 12
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ill soon be installing a system in my friend's van, and just wanted to clear some things through. So is this set-up any good or will it sound like ****?

Receiver: Alpine CDA-9830
Dash Speakers: Polk Audio/MOMO Carbon MMC 525
Rear Mid-Panel Speakers: Polk Audio/MOMO Carbon MMC 525
Subwoofers: Polk Audio/MOMO MM 2124
Component Speaker Amp: Polk Audio/MOMO Carbon C400.4
Subwoofer Amp: Polk Audio/MOMO Carbon 500.1
Sub Enclosure: Q-Logic QL-C1UHC212 Dual 12" Down Firing
Caps: StreetWires 1.0 Farad Caps
Wiring: ALL StreetWires (I use nothing BUT THE BEST!)
*Custom Dash Mounted LED Switch for the Sub Amp-> I can play the system with or without the subs*

All this is going into a 1997 Plymouth Voyager: the system is worth more than the van itself...lol

Thanks all...and yes Im new to Polk, but not new to the ICE world (done plenty of installs before, just finished my brother-in-law's BMW M3 Diamond Audio System (20 total component speakers, 4 subwoofers, 7 total amplifiers, 2 batteries, 3 235amp alternators, lots of Carbon FIber (doing everything twice sucked))
Post edited by xSupaKx on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    sounds good, my only complaint is the q-logic box...theyre not the best boxes in the world
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Wow, well done. Sounds like it'll be a great system. I'd agree with Cody and say build your own box though. Nice job on the M3 too. Those are dang nice cars.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Well, Ill third the concern on the Q-logic box.

They would be ok for a limited power application but for 500 watts you could probably sit there a literally see then bend and bulge as the music plays.

Id say it would be well worth the effort to custom buils your own box out of 3/4" MDF. Plus it would save ya about $100 bucks.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    I'll fourth that (?). Q-logic is like putting a 16 year old kid in an 911 turbo...its bad... Okay, maybe that was a crappy analogy but yeah, no Q-logic box :mad:
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    no, it's the other way round... it's like putting a 911 turbo in a 16-year-old kid :p

i fifth the anti-q-logic bit... as if there needs to be more... build your own, it's easy
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • xSupaKx
    edited May 2004
    I have changed my mind about the Q-Logic box, will be building my own. And I might not use those subs since they will be underpowered. Maybe a single 12" MOMO CastBasket 12" or a Kicker 12L5
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    many things will be underpowered with a 500.1. you may consider stepping up to a more powerful amp... if you want to stay polk, a 300.2 bridged to a mm124 does quite well.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • xSupaKx
    edited May 2004
    Yes, so I looked at my amp/speaker combo and realized: Component Speakers and overpowered by amp, Subwoofers are underpowered by amp.

So I have gone to
    Kicker KX350.4
    Kicker KX600.1
    Kicker 12L5D4
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    amp-wise, i think you'll be happy there. however, i don't know how the L5's compare to the baby momos in spl and sq.

• xSupaKx
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    amp-wise, i think you'll be happy there. however, i don't know how the L5's compare to the baby momos in spl and sq.

Im not sure about the SQ but I am SURE the L5 will beat the 2 Baby MOMO's all week long and twice on Sunday. It itself handles as much power as the 2 Baby MOMO's combined, and has a higher effiency rating (sensitivity). I have never worked with MOMO's before, but from experience, the L5s are VERY good subs. If only I can afford the L7...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    im not sure where you get your information from but the l5s have a powerhandling of 600 compared to the 2124s 400, as well as the momo having an 88Db sensitivity compared to the L5s 87.3
    but if you want it to be loud, then for sure go with the L5s, they have more surface area because they are square
    more surface area=more loud:D
    if you would rather have better sound quality, then go with the momo, round subs sound a lot better than square subs
    just like round speakers sound better than oval speakers
    do you know the 'big' momos in a box are $180 on www.sounddomain.com ?
    or at least they were... might be something to check out...the boxes are pretty nice
    in all honesty, if you want the L7s, save your money and get them!
    i guarantee youll be happier with them just because you want them more
    this is your system and youre going to be listening to it for a long time! get the stuff you want, dont settle for less ;)
    oo...and GREAT choice on deciding to build your own box...itll be A LOT cheaper...and Q-logic boxes IMO arent made very well
    especially if you want to run a lot of power to the sub in it
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    more loud

Ya know, that would be a cool band name! LOL ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • xSupaKx
    edited May 2004
    Yes, I know the round subs will yield better SQ but what Im maily looking for is SPL. If there was a ligit online place that still has the 2003 L7's, please show me since I think hte 2004 L7s look tacky.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    if youre looking for SPL, the kickers are the way to go
    www.crutchfield.com
    www.speedsound.com
    www.sounddomain.com
    www.thezeb.com
    one of those should have em
    -Cody
  • xSupaKx
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    if youre looking for SPL, the kickers are the way to go
    www.crutchfield.com
    www.speedsound.com
    www.sounddomain.com
    www.thezeb.com
    one of those should have em
    -Cody

Is SpeedSound ligit? Havent heard of them before, and they sell at prices competitive to the fake stores...

Does anyone know if OnlineCarStereo is ligit?
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    well...speedsound is an actual store called speed and sound...as far as i know they are authorized dealers of everything they sell...but im sure itll say on their website, or you could call and ask
    onlinecarstereo carries a one year warranty on everything they carry as far as i know...but they are not authorized dealers...the warranty is stictly through their website
    www.carstereotime.com and www.carmedia1.com are the same way i think
    im not sure if www.acaraudio.com are authorized dealers are not...might be worth a look
    -Cody