SDA SRS Crossover Components

Options
I plan to upgrade the crossovers on my 1st gen SDA SRS. The plan is to use Mills resistors and Sonicaps on the 4.4,12, and 20 uF caps. I don't know what to use for the larger caps though. I need two 130uF and a 92uF for each speaker. I have found a Solen for the 130uF but am having trouble finding anything for the 92uF. Suggestions?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    try two 47uf caps
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,049
    Options
    I believe I have 2 x 91uf solens on hand

Pm me your address and I'll drop them in the mail
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I believe I have 2 x 91uf solens on hand

Pm me your address and I'll drop them in the mail

Thanks VR3. I'll PM you as soon as I figure out how.
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    Thanks to Trey, I now have 2 x 91uf Solens. I will use Solens for the 130uf also. Seeing that the 2 x 20uf that I need for each speaker are in the low frequency section, is it OK to use Solen for those as well? I will stick with the Sonicaps for the tweeter section.
  • VR3
    Options
    I would atleast use something like the clarity cap px
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    Is it bad to mix in a third brand of cap (Solen/Clarity/Sonicap) or would it be better to stay with two brands (Solen/Sonicap) and get the 20uf Sonicaps?
  • VR3
    Options
    I think it depends, different carrots have different sound traits, all about the end result.

Where you are using solen, they are not as important as other components in the mix.

I would recommend matching the mid and sda circuit caps
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    bump
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    I think keeping the values accurate are most important. Try it and let us know. I have Sonicaps in the treble and Solen's in the mid / bass of my infinity's and I think they sound superb! Basically you're you're using a much better cap than the mfg. intended anyways so it's a win / win as far as I'm concerned. but I'm sure others will chime in.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    I currently have the 91uF Solens from Trey. I have ordered Solens for the 130uF that I need. I will use Sonicap for the tweeter circuit (4.4uF and 12uF). The 20uF Sonicaps get pretty pricey as I need 4 of them. Are they worth the extra coin?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If it was me they all would be sonicaps. (Except for the very large values)Yes it is pricey and I've spent a large sum on them over the years.

On the 130uf for my SDA2a i used Axon, same factory as Solen from what I understand.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    ANY film cap is going to be FAR superior to ANY "old" electrolytic. Stop obsessing.
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    I found these pics from an old 2011 thread. I will be using these exact capacitors/resistors. Is there anything that should/could be done differently/better in the layout? Thanks in advance.

j34c1qaqg58a.jpg
    1vfwvu2imky0.jpg
  • Schurkey
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm not thrilled about having two pair of inductors aligned in the same plane; but at least one pair are a foot apart. The other pair are only a few inches apart.

Perhaps you can find a way to turn them all 90 degrees to each other, and still have it fit back into the cabinet.
  • BinKY188_5
    Options
    I hadn't thought about that, but that is how they were/are originally.

lvvrdhz1puys.jpg
  • Schurkey
    Options
    I guess they're far enough apart that they don't interact with each other.
  • BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have finally accumulated all the necessary parts to rebuild my crossovers. I hope to be able to work on them this weekend.
    vgc2eujw25dt.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus