Hifibuys Atlanta pictures

Options
2»

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    Bought my first pair of speakers from them ( infinity rsb’s ) in Athens while at UGA in the early 80’s ....

I trust you were catching R.E.M., love tractor, et al at the 40 watt at that time??
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    And eating a DePalmas for some great Italian.
  • stretchl
    Options
    Is that an Athens joint?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Yup
    And Last Resort Grill. Fantastic place to eat.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    And while you are there, don’t forget about Wuxtry Records, open late for your vinyl browsing pleasure.
  • stretchl
    Options
    Original meeting place
    Of Peter Buck and Michael stipe, as legend has it.
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • stretchl
    Options
    (Wuxtry)
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    edited December 2019
    Options
    yes indeed !
    Graduated in ‘84 ....
    Used to go see REM play at frat parties before they ever recorded anything ....
    Love Tractor , Side Effects ,B52’s At the 40 watt club , etc .....
    it was a magical time ...

Michael Stipes mother , Marianne , was the Colonels secretary at my AFROTC detachment....knew her and Michael very well back then .

I bought a copy of their first 45 ( radio free Europe/ sitting still ) from Peter Buck at Wuxtry’s when he was working there ..... it’s the original HIB-Tone one ... only a few hundred pressed .... still have it in mint condition....

They were just normal kids back then .... friendly and approachable....
    You’d see them all over the place , just being normal people.
    Everyone in Athens knew they were something special and would hit it big - even in those early days ...their shows - especially Stipe - were mesmerizing.

They used to practice at a place called the “Church” .... it was an unoccupied dilapidated old church ..... their practices were open to anyone ..... 20-30 people would show up and party while watching them jam ..... way before they hit it big ...

Good times indeed .....
    Changed my music tastes forever ..... still mainly listen to indi bands .

Mike Mills was in one of my classes .... used to sit next to him ... HA HA !

Herschel Walker was my fencing partner in my PE Fencing class ...
    Had him on my airplane a few times - he lives in Dallas - he actually remembered me after I jogged his memory- nicest guy in the world ....

Back then Athens was THE hub for alternative music ...

Bk

I trust you were catching R.E.M., love tractor, et al at the 40 watt at that time??[/quote]

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Wow
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stretchl
    Options
    Double wow. Great takes role well. “The original hibtone single”. Wow.
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,339
    Options
    Joe, I'll be headed down there in the next couple of weeks. Wanna meet up at this joint?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Options
    If I available, would love to. I’m actually heading up your way 15th & 16th. Might have time on 15th in evening to get together.
  • treitz3
    Options
    You are more than welcome to stop by if you want. It would be great to see you again and you can finally get your ear on the rig.

I will probably be down there the weekend of the 18th or 25th. Gotta drop off the Dodd and Radii and then I will be headed to Hi-Fi Buys for the rest of the day to see what their latest and greatest is.

Do you remember if they are still using all network audio or do they have a CDP in any of their rigs? (I might have to bring down some choice albums)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I know they have a CDP on the main rig (which is DCS-Audio Research-Vandersteen)
  • treitz3
    Options
    OOOOOoooooo, nice! I have some gems I'd like to hear on that setup. You by chance remember what pre they had going in that room and if it was tubed?

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    You guys are not allowed to go there, your wallets are not safe
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Tom, my fourth pic in the beginning of this thread shows the stack for that set up (Source and Pre’s)
  • treitz3
    Options
    I though that was the one. It looks like they have an SS Audio Research pre in that system, if I am not mistaken. Thanks,

Harry, you live near by....you game?

Tom
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Tom, Just let me know the exact day when finalized.

I would like to go with. (nowadays one leaves the "you" off for some reason)

Harry

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I hope we can all do this together, I’ll be interested to see what y'all's thoughts are on the Wilson speakers in there. While I was very impressed with the mids and highs of them, the lows left me wanting more. Not something I would expect from five figure speakers.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Weekend of the 25th okay wit'chu guyzes? (Saturday).

Oh, Joe. You still possibly coming up on Wednesday night? (15th)

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Yeah Tom as of right now the 25th is open for me so I have marked on my calendar. Unless my wife Springs a surprise on me I was not aware of Count me in.

I’m definitely coming up next week, Wednesday and Thursday, but I am not sure yet if they have something planned for a company event on Wednesday evening. I will have time for a couple of hours before I head back to Atlanta Thursday early evening if that works also.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Either night is fine. I'll PM you my addy.

Tom
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    It's open for me on calendar as of now.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA