Who's had the Aragon 8008BB

pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
edited December 2019 in The Clubhouse
Looking to get information on one of these 8008bb beast's. I currently am enjoying my Aragon 4004MKii. I'm thinking about stepping up to the 8008bb. They are listed as the same 200wpc, from my understanding they have twice the storage capacitance of the 8008ST. In other words, each monoblock contained within the chassis has as much rectification and capacitance as the 8008ST's entire power supply. Double the output devices, double the rectification and lots more headroom sounds like a big boy amp. One review I found said they had a much larger stage presence than the 4004mk2 and played much more like a 500wpc amp because of the huge amount of reserve from its HUGE power supply. My 4004mk2 it also has a torrid for each channel. That is the reason I'm looking for the 8008bb only.

I think at one time Greg @headrott had one. I may never find one close enough but it is nice to dream once in awhile ;)
Post edited by pitdogg2 on

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    When I was shopping for an amp I auditioned one locally. Not sure if it was his setup but at least to me it sounded sterile almost too forward or something. That's the problem with auditioning somewhere in another environment I guess. I just couldn't listen to it very loud for very long if that makes any sense. I ended up getting my B&K's instead. Pretty happy with them if I can ever get them back from Rolland at Hi-Tech Audio.

By the way apparently it's still for sale here in the Ptld c-list. not sure if it's the same one though. There are a couple on egag but that's a crap shoot. I could audition this local one for you.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I had the 8008 mkii which is the same amp as the 8008bb, just different cosmetics. Only reason I got rid of mine was due to me upgrading to the TriVista which @VR3 has now.

I would agree that it played like an amp that was at least twice it’s rated power output. I don’t know of an amp I’d rather have at that price point except maybe a McCormack DNA 225 or 250 but good luck finding one of those listed at that price. I haven’t had an amp control bass like the 8008 and that includes the pass x250 I’m running now. I had it paired with a Belles 22a tube hybrid preamp and the sound was very smooth and musical. Some people claim that the Aragon gets harsh when the volume gets high but I never had a hint of that in my setup and I like to rock out with the best of them when the mood strikes. It’s not as flashy as some of the higher end amps but man I really liked and now miss that amp sometimes.
  • pitdogg2
    Yep harsh, sterile is not at all what my 4004mk2 is. It grabs ahold of the woofers with great authority and has very solid bass and treble. I've put the screws to this 4004mk2 and it gets very loud and never loses composure at all nor ever gets hot. I was doing a demo of my system a couple of weeks back with a guy and he asked me to crank it up. I don't like the crank it real loud in my small area. The smile on his face said it all. He turned and looked at me and said I've heard a lot of amps and I've heard a lot of amps get loud but I've never heard one get as loud as that and keep its composure, everything was just as clear top to bottom as it was when we were sitting here listening at a respectable volume.
    My rebuilt TFM 45 does not have near the control this 4004mk2 has and can sound a little brittle at volume. So I'm hoping that the 8008bb is just more of that same goodness with more headroom.
  • pitdogg2
    Hard to say. I've seen them listed from 1900 to 1200 and a few cheaper. I'm not looking for the Indy labs model. I'm interested in the old Mondial made design.

Really I'd love to keep in under a 800.00. Is that realistic I'm not sure. I bought my 4004 MK2 for 500 shipped.

To be honest the shipping is going to be the killer in this deal. The amp weighs 80 lb so to ship it boxed correctly it's probably going to weigh close to a hundred pounds.
  • Shipping has gotten so ridiculous, even for smaller items. Girfreind sent an average size box to Washington the other day for $36.
  • pitdogg2
    Thank you Amazon and others we normal folks subsidize.
  • audioluvr
    I don't know if they do it anymore but I used to ship big heavy items like car bumpers via Greyhound and it was significantly cheaper than any other method. You had to pick it up at the nearest bus station but for some it was worth it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    I ran the 8008MkII for about 10 years. First with LSi-15's and then with Sonus Faber Cremonas. I was always very happy with it and only replaced it due to wanting to downsize to an integrated. Ran it with a Modwright tube pre. Sold it to Gerres26. As he said, it's the same as the BB but looks better (IMHO).

5m9con6rmsxl.jpg
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • pitdogg2
    I ran the 8008MkII for about 10 years. First with LSi-15's and then with Sonus Faber Cremonas. I was always very happy with it and only replaced it due to wanting to downsize to an integrated. Ran it with a Modwright tube pre. Sold it to Gerres26. As he said, it's the same as the BB but looks better (IMHO).

5m9con6rmsxl.jpg

was that the Klipsch era or was it still Mondial?
  • Gerres26
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

5m9con6rmsxl.jpg

Aragon was Klipsch owned at that point but it was before they made any changes to that amp except cosmetics. I emailed Indy Audio Labs and they even confirmed that it is the Mondial designed amp(same as 8008bb) with just an updated shell/faceplate from Klipsch.
  • pitdogg2
    Gerres26 wrote: »

5m9con6rmsxl.jpg

Aragon was Klipsch owned at that point but it was before they made any changes to that amp except cosmetics. I emailed Indy Audio Labs and they even confirmed that it is the Mondial designed amp(same as 8008bb) with just an updated shell/faceplate from Klipsch.

That makes sense as I do not remember the V and blue LED behind it. I like it :)
  • Gerres26
    Yup ;) and it’s an even nicer looking amp in person if you ask me
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    OK So here we go I hope it's all I've heard from you guys and others in my circle. I've sent a email to the seller hoping to go pick it up. It is a 7 hour drive to Tennessee but I'd rather spend more in gas than they are charging for shipping. I'll at least have the amp and not let the shippers destroy this 80lbs beast.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • audioluvr
    Nice! Looking forward to your review
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    Road trip has begun....

;)
  • Gerres26
    That’s exciting! Let us know what you think once you get settled in with it for a while.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    p7hm4undocj8.jpg

axwsnb71ugl7.jpg

Well I have it in my hands and I'm on my way home back to Central Illinois from Tennessee. The gentleman in the picture used to work for Macintosh and several other big name companies I won't go into all the details but now he works for a large big-name audio company down here that makes products in Tennessee let's see if any of you guys can figure out which one that is. ;)
    He was nice enough to completely go through this thing before he listed on eBay and then again when I got here to show me how it's doing the distortion levels what it's putting out baba baba blah very intelligent guy from what I gathered and nice talk I had with him.

Now to get back on the road another 7 hour drive back home.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
  • audioluvr
    Bose?. Congratulations. Drive safe
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    CH46E wrote: »
    Emotiva???

Ding ding ding :D
    Yep

Great to talk to I wish I had more time to chat with him but 7.5 hrs each way doesn't leave much time for chatting and socializing.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    m5rnj256wp40.jpg
    60hrqvfj39g8.jpg
    pye8zr3an9kb.jpg

Two massive 1100va torrids one for each channel. We use a 1000va torrid for the dreadnought anyone who's built one knows the size of those puppies.
    3ai8e6jhek5n.jpg

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    That's a nice amp Ivan.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Beefy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Torrid Ivan?!
    REALLY?!?!😂🤣😝
    Anyway yes you’re right. Since I’m one of the ones who built the dreadnought with the 1,000 VA TOROID😉 I know how big and heavy those suckers are.
    If that ain’t a budget Krell I don’t know what is!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Way to go pitdogg2!! I have always liked the way those amps look, but never heard one.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    My Aragon 4004 mkii which I love by the way. I'm hopeful the 8008bb is just over the top goodness like the 4004mkii. As you can see trannies are a bit smaller and the caps are HALF the size. They outright look puny compared to the 8008bb's.

dne6yyuudoea.jpg
    setbuq5udpe2.jpg
    0oiv9ootup14.jpg
    bqdtmbmlyycv.jpg
  • audioluvr
    m5rnj256wp40.jpg

Looks like the fuse at F4 is a non factory replacement. Those are probably power supply fuses so I wouldn't think upgrading them would improve SQ but what do I know. I've never tested that theory. Looks clean and built like a tank on the inside.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2020
    Those fuses have silver paste on them. I started to clean them but when I seen the paste I stopped. It was very late i could swear they were all the same but I drove for 14hrs straight yesterday so i could have been ghost riding :*

Edit yep its different 😂
    I'm still trying to figure out the cap on the cap screws?
    Any ideas anybody?
  • audioluvr
    Hey at least you made it home ok!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC