Galaxy S5 advise needed.

Options
So, Caety got a new phone twice over and mine's getting long in the tooth, and I came across one of her old ones with a cracked glass (easy fix). So I thought why not swap to that one for a while till I get a new one for myself...

Long story short, after charging and firing it up, come to find that the screen is locked with a pass code that she didn't install... Her screen lock was a shape code (or so she remembers) and she can't think of what the numbers might be. Another weird thing is that TracFone pops up on the start up screen and it's an ATT phone!?!

Anyone have advise on getting around this without doing a hard reset? I'm in no rush and if it's an expensive brick, so be it, but...

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Its probably a brick I gave a S6 to someone to use and after a month he got a J3 it outperformed the old S6 in every way. The S6 is now being used as a back up for streaming Tidal to a streamer.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Do you want someone to "advise" you on what to do?
    Or do you want "advice" about which direction to go? ;):p
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    You should advise him of which advice he should take
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hard Reset. It is easy to do that and start fresh. Most Android phones will run better afterward anyway. Unless there are precious photos or something you can't recover, I don't know why you would even hesitate.

However, an S5 is by phone standards, ancient. I don't think I would spend the money/time to repair a broken screen or digitizer. The battery is probably shot as well.

You can get a pretty decent phone for $150-$200 these days (no contract, no monthly payments). One example is a factory unlocked Moto G7. Price is well under $200 (130-180 depending if you activate it, at BestBuy).
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    I may have an Otterbox and some screen protectors from my previous one if you keep it and need them. Free!!
  • Muchieman
    Options
    AT&T has the Iphone 6s for 99 buck new with a 65 monthly pre-paid plan. Good cell on the cheap. I use to use post-paid, only use pre-paid now, pay less for the same service plus i am not locked into a 2 year contract.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Yeah you are gonna have to reset it to get access. You can do so from the boot menu most likely since you can't actually access the User GUI.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Do you want someone to "advise" you on what to do?
    Or do you want "advice" about which direction to go? ;):p

Ok ok, I didn't catch that and neither did spell check, sue me :p
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Well that's the thing... I don't know what all media is still on the phone. Nor do I know what was (if any) backed up or transferred to another device. So hard boot is out for the time being.

I'm on ATT and do the pre pay thing as well. Been eyeballing the Moto, but the S5 is free.... :/

Also just impatiently waiting to see what my hook up comes up with as far as a replacement (he's thinking iPhone XR but I have no experience with Apple and not sure I want to start now).

Talk to me about iPhones. Any Android converts?
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Avoid Apple unless you have Apple ecosystem, macbook, iPad, iMac, appleTV, etc.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • codycatalist
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Well that's the thing... I don't know what all media is still on the phone. Nor do I know what was (if any) backed up or transferred to another device. So hard boot is out for the time being.

I'm on ATT and do the pre pay thing as well. Been eyeballing the Moto, but the S5 is free.... :/

Also just impatiently waiting to see what my hook up comes up with as far as a replacement (he's thinking iPhone XR but I have no experience with Apple and not sure I want to start now).

Talk to me about iPhones. Any Android converts?

Depending on the last time it was plugged into a computer it may be set to media transfer mode via the USB port. Connect it to a computer and check if you can take the files off.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Honestly most of it is probably backed up via google. Are you able to boot in safe mode?

Turn on and use safe mode
    Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily uninstall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

Turn the device off.
    Press and hold the Power key.
    When 'Samsung Galaxy S5' appears on the screen, release the Power key.
    Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
    Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
    Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
    Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

Turn off safe mode
    Press and hold the Power key.
    Tap Restart.