Projector Bulb Differences

Options
So who have yall ordered replacement bulbs from w success in the past? The pricing online for a replacement lamp w housing for our Optoma HD 20 run between 50 and 140s.....so there must be differences in these bulbs (?)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited December 2019
    Options
    https://www.bulbsolutions.com/

From experience do NOT use anything listed as "factory equivalent" . They aren't and may be less but you'll buy twice as many. I've used the above folks and highly recommend them. Most projector's and TV are built around a certain bulb for longevity and proper lumens.

From my experience you can get the bulb only and install in your housing you have. The more expensive bulbs IME are the correct bulb with the housing. they just pull out and plug and play. The bulbs are very sensitive to body oils so it's important to use latex type gloves.
    Finger print oils will drastically shorten life span. In my old rear projection TV I just bought the factory Osram bulb and installed in my factory housing for about half the cost as one already installed in the housing
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Cool....is removing the bulb from the housing a huge deal normally ya think?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Cool....is removing the bulb from the housing a huge deal normally ya think?

Nope ....make and model number and youtube it. That is my go to now. you may have to look at several videos before you actually find the guy that knows what in the freak he's doing but other than that that's how I learn to do mine
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Do not put your fingers on the bulb
    Use gloves unless it has a harness
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited December 2019
    Options
    When I replaced my BenQ bulb...I opted for OEM straight from the factory. Figured peace of mind was worth the $.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • kevhed72
    Options
    So I ordered a bulb with housing from Amazon...since it appears I have a weird Chinese version of the Optoma HD20 PJ. Not that its a knock off, but has Chinese wording in certain places. Whatever. I learned to VERY CAREFULLY COMPARE THE OLD HOUSING TO THE NEW HOUSING TO ENSURE THEY ARE IDENTICAL. See below:
    2rvzgjz79fmi.jpeg
    0s3crvmuowle.jpeg
    0djf9zgndrbg.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Trust me it IS a not an-OEM bulb good luck... It took my Amazon bulb less than 30 days to blow. When I went back to the seller I was told to return it back to China even though it shipped from LA. YEA right 100.00 shipping for a 75.00 bulb still out 25.00 for a return.

Good Luck once again.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Pic 1 is where the manufacturer didnt quite make the opening on the side large enough. Pic 2 is after I took a hack saw to make the opening larger, so the housing would sit properly, all the way down in the projector. Pic 3 is the massive mess on my desk distracted me from getting anything else accomplished. As a side note....changing the bulb itself isnt too difficult if you have a decent set of screwdrivers.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Supposedly its a Philips bulb....appears to be....with a non OEM housing. The original bulb was also a Philips if that makes any difference. At least we are ready for a solid 2 weeks of gaming since tomorrow is the last day of school.