Back with another question..amp for an MM2124?

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
First I want to thank everyone with all there help and suggestions back around Xmas.....my system is rockin now. I've got a set of Polk EXIII 6x9's in my rear deck, EX3550 5.25" comps in front doors, all powered by a Hifonics Zeus ZX6400 amp. The sound is incredible!

I just picked up a Polk MM2124 12" sub (RMS 400w @ 4, Peak 800w @ 4) on sale at CC for $80 (they are clearing out all Polk MOMO products), to replace my existing 12" Blaupunkt I've had for 7 yrs now. Currently I'm pushing the MOMO with a 320x1 @ 4ohm amp (Uran Audioworks). I'm looking at replacing that amp in the near future with some better power for that sub since I'm currently underpowering it. I was considering a Hifonics Zeus ZX4000, 400w x1 @ 4ohms.......is that an appropriate amp for this sub??

And finally a box question......currently I have the sub mounted in a ported box made myself with 1.50 cubic ft volume.....will this sub sound better in a smaller sealed box?? (Note it sounds pretty damn good right now!!)

Thanks guys,
Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    The Hifonics will be a fine choice. Not only will it power your sub very well but it will match your other amp. I think it looks crappy when youve got 3 or 3 different model amps in your install.

It all depends on what you like. I prefer quick, tight bass with little overhang because I listen to mainly metal and too much bass ruins it so I stick with a sealed.

Some people like big, boomy bass with plenty of volume. If you like the big boomy stuff then go with a ported. A ported will give you more output but will not be as tight or fast as a sealed. A sealed will also allow your sub to handle more power.

My recommendation? Go with a sealed built to the specs Polk lists. I think youll like that better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D