Canon SX60 camera

pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,819
edited December 2019 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I know it is a long shot on here but I am looking to buy a Canon SX60 digital camera in excellent condition.
PM me with details if you have one you want to part with.
I am only wiling to buy from established Polkies.

Thanks.

Comments

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 24,057
    edited December 2019
    Realizing full well this isn't what you're looking for... did you try KEH or Adorama? We (that'd be my camera/lens/photography-obsessed son & me) have had great luck with both vendors for used equipment (albeit mostly older hardware for film).

    We're a Nikon shop here, so no Canons 'cept one point and shoot which was my father's.

  • pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,819
    edited December 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Realizing full well this isn't what you're looking for... did you try KEH or Adorama? We (that'd be my camera/lens/photography-obsessed son & me) have had great luck with both vendors for used equipment (albeit mostly older hardware for film).

    We're a Nikon shop here, so no Canons 'cept one point and shoot which was my father's.

    Thanks. Unfortunately the SX60 is not readily available new as it is a few years old and has now been superseded by the SX70 (which gets inferior reviews than the SX60). I looked on Amazon, Walmart, Target, Adorama, etc. and cannot find it new (not even on eBay, other than from Japan, although I would not buy from eBay in any event). I'd prefer to buy a new one if I can find one but it has been a challenge so far. Thanks again.

    edit: I did not know about KEH. Very cool site. Unfortunately, no used SX60s there (and no used ones at Adorama).

    Post edited by pglbook on
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 24,057
    Yeah, I didn't see any used ones on KEH or Adorama... still, they're good places to look.

    My son, in particular, has spent quite a bit of gelt at KEH :)

  • pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,819
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't see any used ones on KEH or Adorama... still, they're good places to look.

    My son, in particular, has spent quite a bit of gelt at KEH :)

    Thanks, Mark. I have only found used ones on eBay but do not trust eBay for something like this. I did find a place in NYC that advertises new SX60 (Park Avenue Photo) but, after checking reviews and BBB listings, will not shop from them (caveat emptor indeed).

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 24,057
    edited December 2019
    (Were I you -- which I realize I'm not ;) ) I'd hang tight - if you don't find one here - and keep an eye on KEH for one to pop up.
    It is probably worth mentioning that KEH also does sell stuff on eBAY, and I am not 100% sure their eBAY listings are also advertised on their regular site. My son & I have had no problems dealing with KEH via eBAY (FWIW).

    We've also had very good luck with some other eBAY sellers (e.g., in Japan) for vintage optics -- neither of us, to the best of my knowledge, has ever bought a used camera on eBAY from a generic 'seller', though.

    My son has a... thing... about optics. Sorta like the thing I have about hifi ;)


    28068006966_00360e2a02_b.jpg003a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

  • pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,819
    edited December 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    (Were I you -- which I realize I'm not ;) ) I'd hang tight - if you don't find one here - and keep an eye on KEH for one to pop up.
    It is probably worth mentioning that KEH also does sell stuff on eBAY, and I am not 100% sure their eBAY listings are also advertised on their regular site. My son & I have had no problems dealing with KEH via eBAY (FWIW).

    We've also had very good luck with some other eBAY sellers (e.g., in Japan) for vintage optics -- neither of us, to the best of my knowledge, has ever bought a used camera on eBAY from a generic 'seller', though.

    My son has a... thing... about optics. Sorta like the thing I have about hifi ;)

    Thanks, Mark. All good advice. I will wait for one to come up for sale at KEH. My wife and I were hoping to get one before our January trip to Mérida, Mexico, and its nearby Maya sites (Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Sayil, Kabah, Labna). We have always taken pics with our iPhones on our many trips to Mexico (my wife is from Mexico City) but liked the idea of finally getting a bridge camera with a super zoom, which we thought would be especially good for photographing Mexico's amazing pre-Columbian sites. And, from my limited research, the SX60 fit all of our criteria. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued by Canon in favor of the newer (although not better) SX70. But I am sure we will come across one eventually. I know very little about photography and appreciate all of your feedback. I registered on KEH and added the SX60 to my wish list (I am not sure if that means they will e-mail me when they get one in but hope so). Thanks again.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!