Cambridge CA connect replace by StreamMagic App

Options
Cambridge Audio released StreamMagic as an upgrade/replacement to it’s app to control their steamers. Anyone try it yet?
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I get nothing but a colored gradient screen, nothing happens. Pixel XL, Android 10.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    Yes ....better than Cambridge connect ... but not by much .
    Connect is absolutely horrid ....
    It's so bad I rarely use it for anything other than power on , off and volume ...

They really should invest in improving it ...

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I only use the CA Connect for Tidal and disliked sorting options but found some work arounds by tweaking in the tidal app that translates to the CA app. Going to try StreamMagic for grins.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Does the Connect app update to stream magic, or do I need to download a whole new app now?
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • rburgess714
    Options
    No you have download from the App Store. I am actually using it now and I like it better than the CA Connect.
    Living Room

Office

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    The connect app always did a nice job for what I wanted. I only used it to set up music from my NAS. Glad Cambridge improved on the Stream Magic app. That one was always good to me too.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gyosa
    Options
    The connect app’s Tidal integration is worthless ......
    Every time you play from a tidal playlist it adds the entire list to the “que” .....so you eventually end up with hundreds if not thousands of songs in the “que” - duplicates and songs from multiple playlists ......
    Yes , u can erase the que , but what a pain to have to do so every time u play from tidal .......

The Yamaha wxc-50 app and tidal integration is a DREAM compared to either connect or stream magic .....

Sure wish someone at Cambridge would study some of the competitors apps ....

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • displayname
    Options
    I'm also so surprised at people's frustration with the Connect app. I've always felt it was really straight forward, but it's also the only one I've used extensively. I do feel it could be sleeker and add some features, but I'm never annoyed by it.
    Discogs
  • gyosa
    Options
    I dunno ....
    For the life of me I can’t figure out the whole Tidal “que” thing ......things get really wonky when you select the “random” play icon .....

Bk

• displayname
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    I dunno ....
    For the life of me I can’t figure out the whole Tidal “que” thing ......things get really wonky when you select the “random” play icon .....

Bk

When I want to play and album or playlist, I just hit the "replace que" button. Keeps things a little more straight forward. I agree, it's a little wonky, but once I found that quirk, it hasn't been an issue.
    Discogs
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Cambridge was quick to reply to my review asking me to email them more details.

• displayname
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I just started messing with StreamMagic while I'm eating lunch. My initial impression is that it's fine.

I wish Media was the home page instead of Hub, but whatever. If they update that app to where we could select the order of the nav buttons AND the streams on the hub, now that would amazing.

I was able to find Tidal quickly enough and get it up and moving, but it did feel slightly less intuitive than it did in the Connect app. Not like it was clunky or a maze, just not where I naturally looked on the first pass. The Hub looks promising because it suggest radio stations vs needing to come in with an idea. I like being able to browse and discover music. Ultimately I wish Tidal would just make their own "connect" feature like Spotify Connect. I like using the primary app and just selecting my device, but oh well.

The visual appearance is certainly nicer, I will give them that.
    Discogs
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I don't like it because I don't like learning new things because I can't.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Kind of surprised by the dislike of the connect app. As a new Cambridge owner I find the app to be better than some of the others I've used. For example, the Oppo connect app is downright useless for the most part. My previous streaming was done via Bubbleupnp, which is very quirky to say the least. Overall, I'm happy to replace those two with the Cambridge connect app.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    edited November 2019
    Options
    The Connect app was okay but the StreamMagic is better to me. The 851 is awesome and I have no desire to replace. I have an Auralic Mini in another system and the Lightning DS app is hands down much better but the 851 certainly best the Mini. Keep in mind that I use the internal DACs in both units.
    Living Room

Office

• Nightfall
    Options
    I wish I could check out this awesome new app.

• rburgess714
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I wish I could check out this awesome new app.

You may have already done this but Cambridge support was very responsive to my inquiry on Tidal integration, maybe they can assist. At the end of the day the both work well enough and result is high quality streaming that satisfies my ears.
    Living Room

Office

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ok, installed the StreamMagic app. Seems busy compared to the connect app. The hub tab is the equivalent of spam. Device is similar to the forced picking of a device in the connect app. Media is equivalent to the connect app. Other tabs are a wash.

Coming from the mindset of a 25+ year GUI developer, this is just a refactoring of the previous app with no real added functionality. If you like it better, go for it. The connect app is more logical to my mind.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    They updated StreamMagic today. Among other fixes they fixed the bug that wasn't allowing me into the app. I'll give it a go next time I listen to music.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Well I don’t mind the Connect app. For what I do, stream Tidal from the iPhone or iPad. That’s it. To me every app has its quirks. Maybe I’ll give it a go.

Or am I just stuck? If the Connect app works, why change? Now where’s my rotary phone so I can call Cambridge? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Roon, Lumin, and Auralic all provide much improved user experiences.

If I had to rank their experience, it would go in that order.

But you don’t think that roon sounds as good as the others, is that right?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2019
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Roon, Lumin, and Auralic all provide much improved user experiences.

If I had to rank their experience, it would go in that order.

But you don’t think that roon sounds as good as the others, is that right?

They're all good😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gyosa
    edited November 2019
    Options
    But I don't own a roon , lumin or auralic ....😆
    Outta my sphere ....for now ....
    All the Cambridge apps suck on so many levels ...they obviously don't take it seriously. ...

Bk

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    But I don't own a roon , lumin or auralic ....😆
    Outta my sphere ....for now ....
    All the Cambridge apps suck on so many levels ...they obviously don't take it seriously. ...

Bk

Your expectations are probably outta your sphere too. Let's take Roon out of the jerk of circle leaving Auralic and then lumin. I don't think either of those apps would blow you away either. They both will sound a lot better but the Cambridge Connect app is pretty solid to me.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I don’t think so ....

The app on my $350 Yamaha wxc-50 is fantastic by comparison.....
    Soooo much more intuitive, especially regarding Tidal ...

I mean , what is the “que” nonsense regarding Tidal .....
    Ridiculous that you have to constantly delete the “que” and reload it - otherwise you end up with multiple repeats of same tracks scattered everywhere and often right next to each other ...
    Yamaha , you just select your tidal playlist and hit PLAY ..... simple as that ....

All Cambridge has to do is LOOK at some other apps , and they will see the deficiencies....

Bk

Your expectations are probably outta your sphere too. Let's take Roon out of the jerk of circle leaving Auralic and then lumin. I don't think either of those apps would blow you away either. They both will sound a lot better but the Cambridge Connect app is pretty solid to me. [/quote]

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    I don’t think so ....

The app on my $350 Yamaha wxc-50 is fantastic by comparison.....
    Soooo much more intuitive, especially regarding Tidal ...

I mean , what is the “que” nonsense regarding Tidal .....
    Ridiculous that you have to constantly delete the “que” and reload it - otherwise you end up with multiple repeats of same tracks scattered everywhere and often right next to each other ...
    Yamaha , you just select your tidal playlist and hit PLAY ..... simple as that ....

All Cambridge has to do is LOOK at some other apps , and they will see the deficiencies....

Bk

Your expectations are probably outta your sphere too. Let's take Roon out of the jerk of circle leaving Auralic and then lumin. I don't think either of those apps would blow you away either. They both will sound a lot better but the Cambridge Connect app is pretty solid to me.

[/quote]

Email Cambridge. And glad you like your Yamaha . I like mine too.