Polk 7B's - need to know what Mid Woofer Model?

13»

Answers

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Just in case anyone is following this with interest (ha! lol) I found a suitable 205 series connector at Mouser for 0.18 each which shouldn't break the bank. They are the solder on type and you would want a little heat shrink tubing as well, but they are for .032 and the tabs on the drivers are 0.020 but that's a simple adjustment with a needle nose. Only problem is they are not really what I'd call audio grade since they are phosphor bronze instead of copper with no silver, gold, or rhodium plating. I'm a big fan of the Mapleshade Silver Platelet Grease though for microscopically improving the connections. I actually wonder about copper since it doesn't have spring tension properties or temper like phosphor bronze, which is actually used to make springs and therefore may maintain connection quality longer. :

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/42233-7?qs=/ha2pyFaduiS4noZbmeaZsMA/PG1f8Rs5Lw9YV5kHgg=&utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=571-42233-7&utm_content=TE Connectivity&tetid=nse1fLb6LI
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Found these gold plated Mundorf ones in the 4.8mm (3/16") size which would just require honing the tabs down a bit on the drivers. Not sure what the base material is.....copper or what.....they don't say, and they are 2.49 euros for 10 pcs.

http://www.mundorf.com/en/?category=pro&menu=crossover&content=mconstruct_blade

https://www.eltim.eu/en/connectors/faston-connectors/mundorf-blade8-rbl-4-8g-4-8mm-faston-connector-blue-10pc/a-12161-10000225
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Standard crimp on ones available from DigiKey for 0.54 ea, but no special plating, just standard tin plating and base material is brass. Wouldn't have to fuss with honing the tabs on drivers. Direct fit:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/640913-2/A09048CT-ND/385271cbsxyfpndd5h.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Geesh I just walked into Autozone/Avanced Auto and bought the correct sizes. They were gold plated copper. Crimped them on and backfilled with Cardas solder.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    @pitdogg2 Amazing. Thanks! I suppose they have it for the car audio crowd. Crazy hard to find for the audiophile crowd. Only found Mundorf and Furutechs and hard to find online to purchase. I will see if my local stores have it so I can start making my Cardas 6N internal hookup wires. Unfortunately the wire I have is 29 gauge Cardas magnet wire which will require twisting 32 strands together to make 14 gauge for the midwoofers. I'm thinking for the tweeters that 18 gauge should be fine (?) which would only be 13 strands. I'm guessing the lengths should be the same though?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    Found these gold plated Mundorf ones in the 4.8mm (3/16") size which would just require honing the tabs down a bit on the drivers. Not sure what the base material is.....copper or what.....they don't say, and they are 2.49 euros for 10 pcs.

http://www.mundorf.com/en/?category=pro&menu=crossover&content=mconstruct_blade

https://www.eltim.eu/en/connectors/faston-connectors/mundorf-blade8-rbl-4-8g-4-8mm-faston-connector-blue-10pc/a-12161-10000225

Nice find man. I think my next xover recap will be 100% Mundorf. My last build on the 12b I used Mundorf, Jantzen and Sonicaps. I'd like to keep it all one brand next time. These faston connections you found would be a nice addition. Thanks
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2020
    @pitdogg2 Amazing. Thanks! I suppose they have it for the car audio crowd. Crazy hard to find for the audiophile crowd. Only found Mundorf and Furutechs and hard to find online to purchase. I will see if my local stores have it so I can start making my Cardas 6N internal hookup wires. Unfortunately the wire I have is 29 gauge Cardas magnet wire which will require twisting 32 strands together to make 14 gauge for the midwoofers. I'm thinking for the tweeters that 18 gauge should be fine (?) which would only be 13 strands. I'm guessing the lengths should be the same though?

Save yourself a lot of work and headaches, buy some Cardas 11.5 or 15.5 gauge litz chassis wire. It's on sale right now at Sonic Craft.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    @F1nut Thanks I'm sorely tempted at those nice prices! If it were you re-wiring a pair of 7B's what gauge would you use for the midbass? and for the tweeter? ......same gauge or smaller for the tweeters to save a little $?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I'd use the 11.5 for all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk