Powered woofers

xsmixsmi Posts: 1,427
I’m curious, why are so many of the new high end (to me, $10,000 and up) speaker designs are incorporating powered woofers in their systems? Would they now be considered dual sub-sat systems, with more integrated mids?
2-channel
Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,737
    Better dsp control and it takes a significant load off the rig amp.
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,427
    So, gone are the days of of the passive speakers with no "gimmicks" in the box. I remember an "audiophile" decrying SDA's to me because of the passive technology in the crossover, but they are now embracing DSP?
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,486
    My main speakers will never have amps, horrendous resale value due to reliability issues

No thanks
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642
    VR3 wrote: »
    My main speakers will never have amps, horrendous resale value due to reliability issues

No thanks

Gotta agree, as much as I love what they can do, longevity doesn't seem to be in the cards for those build in amps. I cut my teeth on Polks powered towers, all developed amp issues...and I haven't heard nice things about more modern ones either from other brands.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,486
    edited November 11
    I mean.... It's only the worst place you could mount one? Lol

The most reliable speaker I'm aware of that does powered is the original Bp2000 from definitive. The amp is enclosed in its own 1 inch thick enclosure within the speaker. You see them on the used market at 20 plus years old still claiming $$$

The newer Def tech stuff went to a hi and lo level split Amp and super high ohm woofers. I've seen them go out but the amps are super cheap and def tech has stock for a while.

Recently worked on a pair of pm700, the woofer voice coil is literally like 30 gauge wire, 110 ohm... The owner melted the wire like a fuse from over driving it. I managed to resolder it with a splice lol
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,715
    I'll never have powered towers. I have never ever been satisfied with the blend of the powered to the passive parts. The woofers to me have always sounded like powered subs and not the 8,10,12 or 15" passive woofer in the box like a regular speaker
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,190
    edited November 11
    Salk Exotica 3's uses two servo woofers for each speaker. Each woofer has a 300 watt amp. He used SEAS Exotic T35 tweeter and Exotic W8 midrange (both Alnico magnet) to have a 92dB sensitivity speaker.

If he used high sensitivity woofers, the speakers would require much larger cabinets and still wouldn't play as deep. The two servo woofers go to 20Hz.

They sound fantastic, but are pricey at $13K a pair.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

c6m392ewmbqo.png
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,454
    heck, I don't even have the high level passive crossovers inside my loudspeakers.

I think separate, powered ('sub') woofer boxes is a reasonable approach (FWIW).