gas prices?

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
1.79 for 87 here in south texas...we usually have some of the cheapest prices in the country though...
so what are you guys paying??
man its outrageous...
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• superbrett
    superbrett Posts: 106
    edited May 2004
    1.99 here in KS...highest I've seen ever...this sucks.
    "Looks good from far, but far from good!"
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    edited May 2004
    Just filled up at a cheapie station for $2.19 in Wa state. Prices in the area run much higher than that. This REALLY sucks
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    ouch, sucks for you guys...i think this is the first time ive seen gas prices above 2.00...i saw it at 2.05 yesterday(but that was 91 octane)
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2004
    1.99 around here, went down 4 cents @ the station i go to because the station across the street keeps trying to outprice them... I'm never going to be able to fill up again
    cats.vans.bag...
  • pHilLyBluNt
    pHilLyBluNt Posts: 13
    edited May 2004
    $2.03 here in wisconsin, and it just keeps on rising. Man this is ridiculous, luckily i have an economy car (focus) so it aint all that bad, i cruise around with about 30 mpg as my average.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Im in Chattanooga which is right smack dab on the GA, TN line so I get 2 states to pick from.

87 octane

TN - $1.85
    GA - $1.75
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Im in Chattanooga which is right smack dab on the GA, TN line so I get 2 states to pick from.

87 octane

TN - $1.85
    GA - $1.75

Crap, we were at those prices 2 mo ago. Been going up ever since. Just cost me $5 to fill the lawnmower :p
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    sounds like me and macleod have it pretty good
    my truck only gets 12MPG
    thank god the gas is low compared to other parts of the country...
    else id probably have to starve myself...
    -Cody
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2004
    I think I paid $2.49 and 9/10 per gallon a couple of weeks ago. My car takes 91 octane and I was on fumes, so I could not go to where I usually go. I think the prices here in San Diego are pretty outrageous. It is costing me a little over $40 dollars to fill up :( , and I own a Maxima (does not have a huge tank).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited May 2004
    The Station around the corner from me is one of the Cheapest in Hamilton Twp. Last time I looked, 89 Octane was up to $1.93 9/10, 93 was $1.99 9/10. That was this morning. The other day, i filled my Escape up with 89 Octane. Cost me $26 for only 3/4 tank. About 13 gallons. I dont ever recall spending that much. Even for Premium.
    At this rate, I guess I am going to try to get Laid off. So that i dont have to spend so much for Gas.
    Chris :(
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Yesterday, I paid $1.97 for 85 octane in UT. What's crazy is that people still drive just as much as they did when gas was a dollar cheaper per gallon. At what point will people start driving less instead of just complaining about the prices?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2004
    I just filled up my tank. The price was $2.559 per gallon, just have to live with it.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited May 2004
    Did anyone ever wonder this: We control the Iraq Oil Fields, Yet the price keeps climbing?
    Chris
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by CPHILHOWER
    Did anyone ever wonder this: We control the Iraq Oil Fields, Yet the price keeps climbing?
    Chris
    no ****...they need to ship some of that stuff over here
    austinKP-they sell 85 octane?
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by CPHILHOWER
    Chris

Most of the oil fields aren't operable since they were sabotages during the war. I heard some numbers (and forget them at this point), but the percentage of oil available versus what can actually be taken out of the ground is VERY low.

Get ready for the prices to climb even more through the summer, then will probably sink incredibly around election time.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    austinKP-they sell 85 octane?
    Yep. 85 is the low grade in UT, then it's like 87-88 for Mid-grade ($1.07), then 91 is premium ($1.17). It sucks. I remember when I lived in MO, the difference in price between Regular and Premium was like 7 or 8 cents. Here, it jumps 10 cents every step. Sucks...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    ahh...
    we have 87,89,91 with a 10cent difference(usually)
    i fill it up with 89 every 3 months or so
    the gas prices are so high right now im rethinking getting a truck next summer
    WRX's are nice:D
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    ahh...
    we have 87,89,91 with a 10cent difference(usually)
    i fill it up with 89 every 3 months or so
    the gas prices are so high right now im rethinking getting a truck next summer
    WRX's are nice:D
    -Cody
    If you want better gas mileage, get one of those Civic Hybrids. Then to get more horsepower, just put a few stickers (5-10 hp each), a big tailpipe(at LEAST 30hp), and a monster spoiler(increases top speed to 170mph) on it. Plus, you're getting 40+ mpg. How can you go wrong?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    lol
    i will never get a car that has so little power...
    the WRX is pretty much the only car im considering...but im not sure
    if i do end up getting that car, ill have the USA-3000 faster because i wont be spending money on a lift and tires and all that
    all my money will go towards making it faster...and it WILL be supercharged with a better suspension and better brake system
    but im not sure yet...i have a year to figure out what im going to do
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2004
    1.95 today don't know what it was.... it was the cheapest there though..... was 25 bucks to fill up half my tank, If i didn't live 45 miles from work I'd be buyin a nice bike about right now...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    edited May 2004
    If you want better gas mileage, get one of those Civic Hybrids.

And the Prius's are even more efficient. Too bad there's something like a 6 month waiting period... and its a crap shoot for which color you get.
    i will never get a car that has so little power...

Most Hybrids have the IDD system (infinite *something* differential), so they're very peppy little cars. No more needing to shift, plus no more lame automatic guessing the gear... always the perfect amount of torque at every RPM.
    Brian Knauss
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    And the Prius's are even more efficient.
    Yeah, I know, they got the Car of the Year award from C&D, but the civic is more "ricey". I thought it would appeal to Cody, since he's mocked them in the past. :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • bknauss
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Yeah, I know, they got the Car of the Year award from C&D, but the civic is more "ricey". I thought it would appeal to Cody, since he's mocked them in the past. :)

*sigh* the problems of being a newbie.
    Brian Knauss
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2004
    Talk about "newbies". The Prius uses what is called a CVT - Continously Variable Transmission. It's operated with cones and belts. As the car increases or decreases speed, the belt travels up and down the cone respectivly. It enables the engine to stay at it's "sweet spot" in the RPM range longer than a conventional transmission.

The transmission does not give you "the perfect amount of torque at every RPM", it would have to alter the physical properties of the engine to do that.

What ever propietary name Toyota uses to advertise the transmission is pure marketing trash. CVT's have been around for a very long time. They were not always used for cars. Service life wasn't long enough and duty cycles were not robust enough to accomodate what the average car buyer views as reliable. Only recently have companies put enough R&D and money into CVT transmissions have they reached a point where they are production worthy.

They are a good idea for small cars looking to get good gas mileage but put any kind of serious power behind one and you'll tear it apart.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    *sigh* the problems of being a newbie.
    Wait a minute, are you calling me a newbie, or you?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    They are a good idea for small cars looking to get good gas mileage but put any kind of serious power behind one and you'll tear it apart.
    Aha! That's what I really meant for the reason why I recommended the Civic. I knew that all the horsepower that cody would get from the stickers and **** pipe would tear that Prius' transmission apart :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Wait a minute, are you calling me a newbie, or you?
    no, i think he meant that he didnt know i didnt like civics cuz hes new...speaking of which, i have to look at a damn ricer every time i get on this website from now on...
    WONDERFUL...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    you just sit there and stare for hours, don't you... :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    I think gas is about $2.30 for 89 octane here.

I filled up my tank for $36 for the first time in a long time. I used to put $70 in my truck but the truck is no more.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    you just sit there and stare for hours, don't you... :p
    LOL...that's awesome :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12