Anyone into amateur astronomy

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited October 2019
    https://youtu.be/7xXEtO3bEe0
    My Astonomy fascination is camping in the Northwoods staring into the heavens with this playing loudly in the background.
    Astronomy https://g.co/kgs/35qpA2
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2019
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    My Astonomy fascination is camping in the Northwoods staring into the heavens with this playing loudly in the background.

"Workshop of the Telescopes" from their first album also works well. :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2019
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Viking64 wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »

"Workshop of the Telescopes" from their first album also works well. :p

I agree forgot about that one.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Any of you guys had a look at NEOWISE?

I attempted to go out last night after sunset on the motorbike to a place way out in a wildlife refuge, but I didn't make it all the way there.
    9p5d53fni5nm.png

Besides, there was still too much light from the sunset even an hour after. Seems like it might have to be two hours or more after?

I disabled signatures.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have not had a chance yet. The area where I live has lots of trees and I haven’t had time to go to scope a spot with a clear view of the northwest sky
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I haven't seen it yet. There is too much city light in the NW sky here.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I was going to try again tonight, but they're calling for mostly cloudy. I'll see how it goes. @mhardy6647 - you gonna try to get some photos?

Man. I still remember Hale Bopp. That was a cool one, and I didn't take it for granted either. It was a bummer when it finally moved on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My buddy Brad snapped this one...
    vutns7biv5gs.png

And I snapped these on my cell phone on the walk back from the mailbox last night.
    n02oe18abbhk.png
    dktq8nh4ha8g.png

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Cool pics of NEOWISE. We've had a Nexstar 6 SE for almost a year. Been looking for NEOWISE but it's too low from our vantage point. Several planets are in super form this month. Bought an adapter for my 35 mm Canon and took these shots on 5 July. Am learning astrophotography can be tricky...

The moon…so bright it would blind us after looking through the eyepiece. Fortunately, I have a “moon” filter designed to cut down the intensity. Pic is without the filter.gvfvcmrsfiyt.jpg
    The following pictures don’t do Jupiter justice. It was so bright and 4 of the moons were clearly and strikingly visible. These are crops from the larger captured image. First pic you can just make out the bands of Jupiter.f9h2dejxr4h3.jpg
    Different pic of Jupiter and a bit longer exposure to capture the moons. As a result, Jupiter is fuzzy but 3 of the 4 visible moons can be seen. Start at the 8 o’clock position and 2 are visible. Imagine a straight line going from them, through Jupiter and continuing up to the 2 o’clock position and you’ll see the 3rd moon. The fourth would be further out at the 2 o’clock position but too wide for the frame. Hard to convey how bright they were to the naked eye when viewed through the eyepiece.791ktdwbawmw.jpg
    This always leaves me in wonder. Saturn. Again, the 2 images are hard to capture and not as much detail in person but amazing when you see the tilt and distinct ring(s). Always looks fake just sitting in the deepest black void. Without looking, if memory serves, the tilt is opposite from the last time we viewed?
    xvzzkc6ud5mi.jpg
    57hyn0af2bxi.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    i2qq30nacbrw.jpg

Shot off my phone Saturday
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    I have been neglecting my scope as the sky (sans Neowise) is pretty dull in my scope during early evening hours. But that is about to change as the planets will be in view in about a month for me. Woot
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I thought the thread said immature anatomy...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    showed y'all some of mine* in the post a picture thread.

Oh! I know what else I was gonna mention.
    Jupiter.
    Jupiter's been wicked bright the last coupla evenings.
    Those of y'all wit' 'scopes -- y'all might want to take a gander some clear, dark evening soon (the moon is just a day or two past "new" so now's a good time).

_________
    * Neowise pics, not immature anatomy. :|

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have to expand my deck, buy some beds, and get my surrounds wired in wall and see how much money I have left. Kindda spent my telescope money on a SR1911 competition.
  • joecoulson
    ^ I have one too
    Along with a few others :#
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2020
    I caught Neowise with my 6" Celestron SCT, awesome! Was on a slight hill, in the backyard, bumped the tripod, and the telescope tipped over! Ugh. No apparent damage, but sent it in to Celestron to get it checked out.

They cleaned it up inside and out, and re-collimated it. Avoided a major disaster! Just got it back last week.

Earlier in the summer caught some really good views of Jupiter and 5 of it's moons! Saturn too, one night stayed out late and caught Mars!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    Mars is closest to earth this month FYI. You can see polar caps.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Mars is closest to earth this month FYI. You can see polar caps.

Nice! Still have the big scope upstairs, but I'll take the tuned up 6" out for a spin! Just picked up a Celestron (made in Japan era) 8 x 50 right angle finderscope with illuminated reticle too!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited October 2020
    Tomorrow NASA will broadcast live the OSIRiS-ReX mission control, as it lands on the asteroid Bennu, collects a sample, and takes off again to return to earth! To be broadcast on NASA TV, beginning at 5pm EST.

https://www.nasa.gov/

3r6pswnne0hq.png

https://youtu.be/QunVAWABQSc

s4zyjjlpd7i8.png
  • audioluvr
    Dam it Dave! You know that is faked like the lunar landing!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    On another note. I had my 12" dob out (what a pain in the arse!) and had the whole fam damily out looking at Saturn. Lots of OOH's and AAH's Even though it's very anti-climactic compared to photos seen there's just something that's really cool when you see it "live".
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    How very true!
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    On another note. I had my 12" dob out (what a pain in the arse!) and had the whole fam damily out looking at Saturn. Lots of OOH's and AAH's Even though it's very anti-climactic compared to photos seen there's just something that's really cool when you see it "live".

Hard to compete with some of the images on line, but I tell ya, nothing more satisfying than locating and imaging yourself! Real time, no post processing, false coloring, you name it. Real images do it for me!
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Dam it Dave! You know that is faked like the lunar landing!

Success! OSIRIS-REx successfully tagged Bennu, and performed it's collection sequence. It has now backed away from the asteroid, and we'll know soon if the sample collection process was successful. They were targeting about 60g of material.

WooHoo! :)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Good coverage on NOVA following the success, too.
  • verb
    I'll have to catch that!

Looks like the sample colllection was a bit too successful! The mylar seals didn't fully deploy, they expect due to larger rocks in the collection bin preventing it. Image show some of the collection debris escaping!

ij4idat6j41n.png
  • verb
    Gave my 6" SCT some respect by putting it on a proper mount and tripod! Previously the OTA was on a flimsy Alt-Az mount not really designed for the weight.

hdm4kwjkxt50.png
  • joecoulson
    That’s ready for prime time.