MM12 Suggestions

Options
phorea1
phorea1 Posts: 6
edited May 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey, I am about to buy either (2) MM12 or (2) MM124. My question is what would y'all suggest for an amp if i purchase (2) MM12's

and...

if i purchase the (2) MM124's instead... would a sealed enclosure be worth buying then a bandpass?

all the help would be great! im such a stupid newb. haha.
Post edited by phorea1 on

Comments

• pOP
    pOP Posts: 23
    edited May 2004
    Options
    go sealed, as i am told bandpass is not a good idea for the mm124's. I have my mm124's in a dual sealed box and i love it. here is my set-up if u wanna check it out. http://www.cardomain.com/id/pop_n_fresh
    im runnen two polk c300.2 amps. i bridged them and with that im getting like 500watts to each sub. this will prolly be a lil pricy, im sure u could find something way cheaper that will be just as good. I just wanted to toss up some suggestions.
    -=KirK=-
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    go with the mm12s if you have the space
    theyre only $180 at sounddomain right now
    as far as amps go
    www.acaraudio.com carries Hifonics
    id get the mono 1500 watt amp Hifonics has
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    go with the mm12s if you have the space
    theyre only $180 at sounddomain right now
    as far as amps go
    www.acaraudio.com carries Hifonics
    id get the mono 1500 watt amp Hifonics has
    -Cody

Wow momo's are expensive.....you could get a edO for that price........
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    He's better off getting the brutus 1000d....easier on them momo's....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    just for reference altec, it's probably not the best idea to mention eD here. i don't know anything about the company's quality, but there's some bad blood between us and them. you may wish to stay away from that. if you have some free time, you may wish to check out the dehlima thread in the hall of shame, that should clear up any questions.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Altec88
    Wow momo's are expensive.....you could get a edO for that price........
    yeah but this sub comes in a box
    for a while they were $99 at fry's
    no, he needs the hifonics BX1500D
    for 2 subs, its actually less than the MOMOs RMS power
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah but this sub comes in a box
    for a while they were $99 at fry's
    no, he needs the hifonics BX1500D
    for 2 subs, its actually less than the MOMOs RMS power
    -Cody

I think I confused myself, whats the momo's RMS again?

LOL, I remember that thread, fun times, alot of people pissed off.........for stupid reasons.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Altec88
    I think I confused myself, whats the momo's RMS again?

LOL, I remember that thread, fun times, alot of people pissed off.........for stupid reasons.
    and people got pissed off for perfectly legit reasons
    its not our fault ED owners(well, at least the ones that came here...not all) and the owner of ED are a bunch of ****
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    hey, hey, what happened to staying away from that? i have my own opinions on this issue, but if you'll notice, i've never stated them. life goes on much easier without 'my brand is better' or 'that company is owned by ****'. so. to one of the original questions - bandpass is louder, but sealed sounds so much better. either way, you should get it built to spec. you can get away with a prefab sealed box, but any premade bandpass will sound like complete shat, as opposed to the partial shat that it usually sounds like. bandpass hits hard, but has a narrow range of 'sounds good'. outside that range, it either sounds bad or blows up your sub, depending on which way out of the band we're talking and what precautions you've taken.

either way, it's not too much trouble to build your own; or you can have someone build it for you but it's kinda expensive.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    and people got pissed off for perfectly legit reasons
    its not our fault ED owners(well, at least the ones that came here...not all) and the owner of ED are a bunch of ****
    -Cody

I take it the momos are 4ohm SVC subs?

Don't even get me started about the owner of eD..........
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, theyre 4ohm svc
    actually, id like to hear your thoughts about the owner of ED
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, theyre 4ohm svc
    actually, id like to hear your thoughts about the owner of ED
    -Cody

Well that whole thread was about you guys saying that flat cone subs SUCK.....and momos are better than them. There was even the drawing of the soundwaves which was hularious. We were just trying to explain to you guys the adv. and disadv. of flat cone subs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    you might want to read it again
    people said they didnt like the design, not that it sucked, and no one said the momo was better, they said it had similar specs
    and that drawing was someone asking a simple question that he totally got knocked for
    'Thinker,' which I assume to be chris, was the only guy trying to explain anything--the rest were just people with no lives that are online at 2 oclock in the morning and have nothing better to do than make fun of a guy who asked a question
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    that drawing was a part of a question, yes, so the artist shouldn't have gotten ripped on as much as they did (i don't even remember who put it up). but, both sides were responsible for the crap. as i read through it, i kept thinkng "man, Thinker should be getting a pat on the back from someone here" that was one of the few, if not the only, voice of reason. on either side.

altec - "we were just trying to explain to you guys the adv. and disadv. of flat cone subs" agreed, that's what it started out to be.

i have a proposition. altec, now that it's not a huge deal, perhaps you would like to elaborate on these advantages and disadvantages? please do this only if you - and all of us - can keep it clean. i remember being distinctly displeased at my lack of knowledge about eD after that, and i would sincerely like to know more. so, if we're willing to have a good discussion about it, i'd like to see what altec has to offer.

• Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    you might want to read it again
    people said they didnt like the design, not that it sucked, and no one said the momo was better, they said it had similar specs
    and that drawing was someone asking a simple question that he totally got knocked for
    'Thinker,' which I assume to be chris, was the only guy trying to explain anything--the rest were just people with no lives that are online at 2 oclock in the morning and have nothing better to do than make fun of a guy who asked a question
    -Cody

Why would they not like the design if the momo has similar specs? It was a revolutionary design......don't you just love chris's essays?? :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    well they thought it would not be as rigid and you saw vince's dispersion theory
    although they might have been wrong, it wasnt like they were bashing the design
    i mean if 95% of the subs on the market today use a cone design like the MOMOs, then theres probably some drawbacks to the flat cone...or at least thats what one would think
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    clearly, manufacturers will use what works... or what's cheaper to make. what were the proposed advantages to a flat cone? less moving mass maybe - both cone and air? then, you've got variations on the cone... from a simple cone with straight sides and varying shapes of dustcap, to a parabolic like the w7. i mean, concievably, you could get the (tensile?) strength of a cone on a flat surface - a la 'falling water', that cantilevered house - vs. a curve like a suspension bridge, but i'd think that, without some very advanced and expensive materials, there'd be a flexing tradeoff. perhaps the issue is that, with only a little bit of flex, can you hear it?