Are Hypex Ncore Common Ground?

I'm ready to buy/build a power amp. I run SDA speakers and have SRS on the horizon so I need lots of common ground power.

Did lots of searching here and on other sites and couldn't find a clear answer.
Looks like the older UCD modules were: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/153142/class-d-amp-for-2-channel-with-sdas
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1969018#Comment_1969018

I'm planning to build a stereo amp using two NC500 off one SMPS1200A700.
I found this image in an australian audio forum that is about 90% what I want to build. I don't want a volume knob, will be going with XLRs, and may do more heatsinking.
rz02ucws3qjc.jpeg

Not looking to incite class D vs others debate, just hoping for an answer. Appreciate the help

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    As long as YOU bind the grounds when you build the amp, they will be. If you don't, then they won't be.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    As long as YOU bind the grounds when you build the amp, they will be. If you don't, then they won't be.

... and as long as they don't mind being thus bound.

:|

I reckon they don't -- but I don't know myself.
  • I've read that doing that on some amps can be detrimental to SQ--I guess my question is more "Are they designed for this?"

Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    mzisman4 wrote: »
    I've read that doing that on some amps can be detrimental to SQ--I guess my question is more "Are they designed for this?"

Thanks

Not to be snarky but I'd think if I was running SDA's and that was important it would have been my first question before I made my decision to build them. Are you building a dual mono amp? Others here have had class D amps with SDA's and they were common ground. Some moved on rather quickly to something else because they did not prefer the sound/tone of the amp. Class D has come a long way and some from my understanding have a much better sound/tone than years past.

Yes some amps which are dual mono do not like having their negative binding post strapped together. If you are building these then I'm guessing it is far different than building a dual mono and strapping after the fact.
  • No offense taken--been reading lurking here for long enough to appreciate the directness.

The hypex ncore line is fairly new (replacing ucd). ICE is another modern maker which is not common ground. This photo from one of the linked threads shows a hypex based amp with negative terminals that are clearly tied. Based on the age of the thread, I'm fairly certain they are ucd modules.
    29vjdoubt5ku.png

They make big power relatively affordable-adcom, parasound, b&K, etc. command a crazy premium in my area so this seems like a better financial decision. I am not building dual mono but haven't seen any builds where people call out tying the negative terminals. Most builds with the nc500 are dual mono so this is some deviation from the norm but the power supply ratings seem more than sufficient. I searched/skimmed a ~150 page audiocircle thread and a 1000+ page diyaudio thread but didn't find an answer. Searches for "common ground" lead almost exclusively to this forum so it seems like a mostly SDA concern. That's why I was hoping to get answers/experiences here.

FWIW I emailed hypex but haven't heard back. By most accounts they are geared towards companies and not end users.

Thanks!
  • Took longer than expected but good news!

Direct from hypex:
    "The LS- terminals are at ground potential so it is safe to connect them."

• lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Reviving this post. I have crs's, thinking of trying a Nord One MP NC502 500W Stereo Power Amp. Is it safe to assume this amp with work with my sda's?
    Thx.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's never safe to assume.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    lms wrote: »
    Reviving this post. I have crs's, thinking of trying a Nord One MP NC502 500W Stereo Power Amp. Is it safe to assume this amp with work with my sda's?
    Thx.

Did you ever confirm this amp was common ground?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ZLTFUL
    xschop wrote: »
    lms wrote: »
    Thx.

Did you ever confirm this amp was common ground?

Since you are building your own, just verify that the speaker - terminals can be tied to ground without causing issues. Looks like the OP hasn't been on the forum since March.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • xschop
    I'm prototyping an amp case using the TPA3255 board. It is not common ground by checking speaker grounds when off. I am curious about other class D amps' possibilities of common ground so I can build another case for one.
  • ZLTFUL
    Pretty much every amp T/D amp board is not going to be natively common ground. They segregate the entire single on the stereo boards. What I was getting at is whether or not the speaker grounds can be "strapped" or tied to the chassis/power supply ground or "common" if you will.
    But that would be a service manual/manufacturer question to answer.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Are these amplifiers differential amplifiers? I'm not so sure you can tie the grounds together on a differential amplifier.
  • xschop
    To date I haven't seen one running a vintage set of SDA's, reason for the question.