Great artists, but really not great singers

PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,107
I’ve had this thought before, but listening to The Stones yesterday made think of it again. A lot of singing greats are really not great singers in the sense of what I’d call having a great voice. They just have a uniqueness that sets them apart. Many of my favorites make the list.
Mick Jagger
Steven Tyler
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Bono
Michael Stipe
Axl Rose
Geddy Lee
David Lee Roth

Any others you’d add...or take off my list?
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• muncybobmuncybob Posts: 2,129
    I don't think of them as singers but rather as vocalists. We have always liked Van Morrison but would not regard him as a singer like we would Joni Mitchell which is another of our favorites.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,909
    Neil
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio Power Plant 3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * W4S Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,299
    Rod Stewart. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,471
    Two great vocalists but not necessarily singers: Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead) and Udo Dirkschneider (Accept).

Rob Halford (Judas Priest) was both, in my humble opinion.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,107
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Neil

Yes! That’s one I couldn’t think of when making my list, though he would be high on the list.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,226
    Neil

Agreed. Total POS.

ykj365mwqbau.jpg
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,604
    All mentioned are amazing vocalists.! Nuff said
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,471
    edited October 6

Very true. I don't think any of them would make it if they were starting out today on the trash that is "The Voice" or "American Idol." I could imagine the retort Mick would have if someone told him his performance was a little pitchy. :)
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,848
    edited October 6

They may we’ll have unique voices and the ability to emotionally communicate with their singing. But I am sorry sir, great SINGERS they are not. Good intonation? Pitch? Range? The ability to even hit the notes correctly?? Haha bob dylan and Johnny cash would know a D if it smacked them in the face...

Now, amazing songwriters? Communicators? Folks that aroused many emotions through their songs? Absolutely. Two very different points being argued i suspect here...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    DSkip wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Neil

Agreed. Total POS.

ykj365mwqbau.jpg

Thought that was Britney Spears at first.

That would be "Kneel". HAHAHAHA
  • DeltadonDeltadon Posts: 59
    edited October 6
    Perhaps you are all too young to remember Tiny Tim.
    He was in his own category of singer.

Deltadon wrote: »
    Perhaps you are all too young to remember Tiny Tim.
    He was in his own category of singer.
    I remember seeing him on "The Carol Burnett Show" when it was still on during weeknights. I was 4 or 5. :o :p
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,939
    Any one say Leonard Cohen yet?
    So Long Marianne just came on the radio moments ago -- and it made me think, Yeah. Leonard Cohen. He's in the club.

:)

edited October 6
    and Ol' Jer, of course.

edited October 6
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So Long Marianne just came on the radio moments ago -- and it made me think, Yeah. Leonard Cohen. He's in the club.

He's Canadian so one would expect him to sing differently, no?

Speaking of bad voices from Canada, are there any worse?

Deltadon wrote: »

He's Canadian so one would expect him to sing differently, no?

You may be on to something there, eh?
    Canadian.... well... yeah, there's Bruce, too.
    Great guitarist, great songwriter, idiosyncratic singer.
    Loves me some Bruce!

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce.

That Neil guy they're goin' on about earlier.
    Canadian.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,298
    I’m going to go there and toss John Lennon out there as well. An incredibly talented artist, but as a singer alone, not so much. Another incredible performer that is not a strong singer is Neil Diamond, though if he were to every perform again, I would be the first to go see him.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    edited October 6
    So many great artists who are not very good singers -- but who get the job done.

some more:

John Fogerty

Kinda got that Bon Scott, generative organs caught in a pair of Vice-Grips thing goin' on, you know?

... and then there was The Band.
    OK, part Canadian... but all not great singers.
    A fabulous song -- featuring at least two great, not great singers: Levon Helm and Rick Danko

two ugly agglomerations of fellows, those two bands, as well -- but that's a different thread, I suppose.
    edited October 6
    I’m going to go there and toss John Lennon out there as well. An incredibly talented artist, but as a singer alone, not so much. Another incredible performer that is not a strong singer is Neil Diamond, though if he were to every perform again, I would be the first to go see him.

Are you serious? Lennon's singing was iconic!
    Rolling Stone had him at #5.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-147019/john-lennon-16-227134/

Post edited by Deltadon on
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,298
    No, I am not kidding. I am a huge fan actually. He is an amazing story teller with his voice and his presence, but he was not the kind of voice that would have filled The Albert Hall without having been a Beatle first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 938
    That Neil guy they're goin' on about earlier.
    Canadian.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.
    Yeah, Neil Young sure wrote a lot of American protest music for a Canadian.

I'll add Tom Petty (RIP) to the list. Great songwriter and performer, though.

Jakob Dylan didn't fall too far from the apple tree with his voice.

How about country? I've always thought Tim McGraw is a terrible singer only fixed by ProTools processing.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,042
    As much as I love Fleetwood Mac, I never cared for Stevie Nicks voice - I find Christine McVie much more pleasing to listen to.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
    edited October 7
    Former Scorpions guitarist Uli Jon Roth. Brilliant guitarist. Abysmal vocalist. (I dare not call him a "singer".)

And did we mention Janis Joplin?

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,107
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Yeah, Neil Young sure wrote a lot of American protest music for a Canadian.

I'll add Tom Petty (RIP) to the list. Great songwriter and performer, though.

Jakob Dylan didn't fall too far from the apple tree with his voice.

How about country? I've always thought Tim McGraw is a terrible singer only fixed by ProTools processing.

Oh my gosh!!! How did I leave off Tom Petty? He’s my all-time favorite artist, but not a great singing voice.

I considered Jakob Dylan, but decided he wasn’t a big enough star to make the list...though I have pretty much his entire catalog.

I also considered Leonard Cohen and he probably belongs, but he’s almost more storyteller than singer.

John Fogerty: He’d be high on the list.

Country music: Willie Nelson has to be high on the list. And Hank Jr. probably isn’t too far behind.

I’m not talking bad singers who’ve made it big, I’m talking about legends, icons, yet not great singers.

The thing about everyone mentioned is that they have a uniqueness to their voice.
    edited October 7
    No, I am not kidding. I am a huge fan actually. He is an amazing story teller with his voice and his presence, but he was not the kind of voice that would have filled The Albert Hall without having been a Beatle first.

Your comments remind me of what his aunt Mimi had said to him. lol

At least you will have to admit that John and Paul's voices blended very well together.

So perhaps our sense of nostalgia changes our perception.

This was Lennon and Harrison together.

And now for something completely different.

Post edited by Deltadon on