OT - Am I the only strange one here?

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, everyone at work here thinks I'm crazy, but I swear this has to happen to someone else. Ok, you know how when you're looking at a computer screen on TV, and it looks all wavy, etc.? If you're eating something really crunchy (like cheetos) like 10 feet away from a TV or computer screen, when you bite down, does it do the same thing to anyone else? When I'm eating crunchy stuff, the computer screen seems to wiggle just a little bit if I'm standing a couple feet back. Somebody tell me I'm not the only one.
On a similar note, I know of a sure-fire method to experience the same thing: If you have some kind of vibrator (cell phone won't be strong enough) and hold it on top of your head, the TV or computer monitor does the same thing. I HAVE verified this with several other people. Just wondering if this works for anyone else with crunchy things...:)
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I was going to answer ya then I got kind of side tracked picturing you standing in your living room holding your wifes vibrator on top of your head. That is actually pretty funny!

But to answer your question, yes, whenever I eat crunchy stuff the screen wiggles.

"Honey, can I borrow this for a second.......buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz " :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I got kind of side tracked picturing you standing in your living room holding your wifes vibrator on top of your head. That is actually pretty funny!

"Honey, can I borrow this for a second.......buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz " :p
    I was thinking the exact same thing
    but no, you two are weird:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i think it's the same thing as when you wave your hand in front of a fluoroscent light; that's the offset of the light's refresh rate (120 Hz, i think) and your eye's (im thinkin ~30 Hz). i suppose the vibration is the interaction amongst your eye, the monitor, and the... um... vibrator... or the crunchy things.

btw, what inspired you to put a vibrator on your head in the first place??

and the same thing happens, at least for me, when i hum a really low note - i've got a fairly deep voice, so when i sing along to a CD (oh, come on, everyone does it) as i'm computing, i have to go a couple octaves lower.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    and the same thing happens, at least for me, when i hum a really low note - i've got a fairly deep voice, so when i sing along to a CD (oh, come on, everyone does it) as i'm computing, i have to go a couple octaves lower.
    thank God this forum is only visual...
    :p
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Options
    btw, what inspired you to put a vibrator on your head in the first place??
    Um, first of all, everyone get your mind out of the gutter. It was a Mr Potato Head back massager. Second, I was doing it to my brother's head because if you don't hold it tight it kinda hurts cause it's bangin against your skull. I just held it tight on his head and he was like, "Whoah! Check this out!" Kinda cool. Trippy, but cool.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    and i thought i had too much time on my hands...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Um, first of all, everyone get your mind out of the gutter.
    but it's so much more fun down here! :D
    Originally posted by exalted512
    thank God this forum is only visual...
    yeah, but it'd be funny if it was audio too... i mean, for all we know, macleod has a gnome's voice... :p

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, but it'd be funny if it was audio too... i mean, for all we know, macleod has a gnome's voice... :p
    I thought we decided that Vince was the midget?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yep, true... maybe vince is a mute then...

• mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I play one of those sine sweeps from 50-20hz in my room and hold my head against the wall when its up loud....I cant hardly recognize whats on the screen its so wavy :D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    jeez, what kind of sub do you have?? i've got a 1000-watt one corner-loaded and it doesn't do anything like that!

• mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Some ported Sony sub... I think its pushing about 125 watts.. Haha... I have it in the corner too and I drive the living poo out of it. I don't care if I blow it so I play it accordingly. Its right next to my bed so I'll just rest my head against drywall between the studs behind the wall (much more prone to vibrations) and just relax. I get my kicks out of it.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    man, mine must be broken... um... how much effect does the room have on the output? cause it's in a corner, but it's in my living room, but that room is connected to approximately the rest of the house, it's really open. could that openness have something to do with it? like cabin gain?

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i dunno, go to the HT forum and ask
    lol
    -Cody
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I remember a guy on our school bus his eyes jiggled while driving, I dont know why but I never saw this before and nobody else saw anything like this.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2008
    Options
    The first time I noticed this I was in my car at a drive through in 1989 and I was listening to DJ Magic Mike and The Royal Posse, and I could see the fast food monitor becoming 'wavy' when the bass hit. Its interesting to try to think about the science of what is happening to cause the visualizations.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing. It works for CRTs(monitors), LCD displays(alarm clocks).
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    Options
    What The F*ck
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MarcLazarek78
    MarcLazarek78 Posts: 65
    edited February 2008
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I was going to answer ya then I got kind of side tracked

Thats all I needed to read. ;)
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    Options
    am I the only one who noticed how bad of a thread revival this is?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Toxis wrote: »
    No.........some random **** lately on this forum..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Toxis wrote: »

No, I did too but if I make a comment about how stupid of a thread revival something is or even how stupid the original post is, I'm a big meanie with no sense of humor so I just stay out of it. Kinda like I'm not doing now.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I'll be the ****... I'm fine with that!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I found this Nystagmus (40 variations) I think this may explain what I saw when this guys were jiggling on the bus, (I could be wrong I am not a optomitrist)
    And yes this has no place on the polk forumn, but it is just something I noticed, (sorry it was bothersome for some people to read ) But I am curios like some others are..