Polk Monitor series 2 M5JR vintage speakers

vulcanvulcan Posts: 52
Looking for a small set of speakers and saw these locally for sale. I have some of the larger model Polk SDA speakers and have enjoy the sound from them.
They have the spring type speaker terminals connections which I dont really care for. Parts Express has some similar replacement type with the gold binding posts that use banana connectors. Not sure of the fitment yet, they have two sizes, a 3" and 4".
I need something inexpensive and these are $100. Also I believe these have
the updated SL2500 tweeters and not the early Silver domes. I am going to be using them with a Yamaha RX-730 receiver about 70w per @8 ohms.
Anyone have any experience with the small Polk 5jr speakers and sound?
Thanks and appreciate your advice!
SDA 1C- Vr3 Mods/ Gimpod, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, etc.

Comments

• vulcanvulcan Posts: 52
    tp05dq0eh8m1.jpg
    djifslf17p2l.jpg
    vo72aucre5oj.jpg
    lpy4fcq4d3ep.jpg
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,594
    edited September 2
    lwzbbbyjah9s.jpg
    v646pxrccpqg.jpg
    Ah, the dreaded spring clips. These were my first purchase in the somewhat vintage Polks. They're surprisingly good sounding little speakers, although lacking in the bass department. add a small sealed sub and use them in a small bedroom or office and they'll fit the bill quite well.

PS, the bottom speaker in the second picture is another model all together. I believe a monitor 4.5 or something close to that.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,654
    Love my 5jr+, fill the kitchen, and a pair in my girl's studio do quite well. A great investment for smaller spaces.
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,323
    Nice speakers. Those tweeter might be upgradable to RD0198 "drop in" replacements. I enjoyed some & just ran clean wire with no issues
    Randy / Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
  • vulcanvulcan Posts: 52
    I found some Monitor 5 Series 2 speakers yesterday for $95. They have the traditional round terminal cups with the binding posts, also consecutive serial numbered, and 8" passives, SL2500 tweeters. Drivers all look ok. They are a little rough, one cab has scratches. The Polk logo emblem has broken on one grill. Plan on hooking them up today for a listen, but need some better speaker wire. Will be doing the crossovers soon. Unable to find the wiring schematic for the 5 series 2 model. anybody know where the schematic located, also is the finish a oak or walnut? thanks for any advice
    or suggestions in advance.

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,448
    edited September 4
    Pull a crossover, the values are printed on the components.

That's vinyl on your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk