Finally ditched Verizon

Options
Today I broke free from Verizon's icy claws paid phones off and they wanted me to add a 4th line to get Unlimited data. I had 3 lines and they wouldn't oblige so I gave them the middle finger and took my business to another carrier. Asta la vista Verizon.
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Where'd you move to? I like Metro PCS that I'm on (Cricket is similar) where you have to buy your phone outright but their prices are way cheaper. I pay $40 for unlimited talk/text and 10Gb of data per month.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    yeah -- inquiring minds want to know!

:)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    US Cellular they gave me unlimited data with 3 lines.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    US Cellular they gave me unlimited data with 3 lines.
    Oh yeah, the old people cell phone service! :p Actually...starting to sound like a good idea...
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Is there such a thing as unlimited data ? Or do they just say that to get new customers
    Randy/Maine
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Cricket is $65 a month for one line truly unlimited data and it’s on AT&Ts towers. The only difference is they cap the data speed at 8 mbps which is plenty for music streaming, YouTube videos, and downloading documents (yes I do that on my phone lol). I also can use it as a hot spot and get $5 off per month for auto draft.

You can get cheaper for less data FYI...but att is list $20 more per month for the same service...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    $127 and some change for 3 lines unlimited will see if it's throttled but everyone I know that has it has no complaints. I don't use that much data, but the wife and grandson use it. They were wanting $ 157 with no unlimited data at Verizon, to qualify for unlimited a 4th line would of been needed plus another phone, that wouldn't of been paid for like the others.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    That's a good deal imo. We had 4 lines with at&t 3 years ago & it was 235.00+ iirc.
    Then I went on my own & I ditched Verizon when I was using them with my company flip phone & I asked about using a iPhone I wasnt using & I asked about unlimited service & she said there was no such thing & it was 90.00 a month or so. I went elsewhere. At&t has no towers at camp in northern Maine. Verizon & UScellular. UScellullar works there & on the coast... I'm new to using Pandora & it works great listening to music where the radio stations dont come in when I'm up by the Canadian border on fishing trips
    Randy/Maine
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Cricket is $65 a month for one line truly unlimited data and it’s on AT&Ts towers. The only difference is they cap the data speed at 8 mbps which is plenty for music streaming, YouTube videos, and downloading documents (yes I do that on my phone lol). I also can use it as a hot spot and get $5 off per month for auto draft.

You can get cheaper for less data FYI...but att is list $20 more per month for the same service...

We just switched from Verizon to Cricket a couple of months ago. $128 total bill including taxes for four lines unlimited and insurance on each phone. We were paying about $240/mo with Verizon.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Tmobile, 3 lines unlimited data $86.00 and that's with insurance on two phones. Works way batter that Verizon ever did for me.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited August 2019
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as unlimited data ? Or do they just say that to get new customers

The fine print on most say no. It may be unlimited but the speeds on some are not all LTE speeds. On some after so many GB they slow you down to 2g or 3g speeds. My TracFone uses Verizon towers and as long as I have the prepaid data it never slows even if i go through 25GB a month.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Tmobile said that they would slow it down after 50 gigs per device and only at peak demand hours. I don't believe them though.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I just left Verizon after being with them for 15 years and I am trying Google-Fi.

$20 for the first person and $15 per person you add to your group (up to 5). $10/GB which is shared and you only pay for the data you use. They break each users use down every month or in real time as you go. Your phone has to be Google-Fi compatible. Data after 10GB is free.

I needed a new phone as well as my GF and we got $150 off each unlocked phone (Moto G6-32mb @ $95/each). We can leave anytime to go to another carrier and there is no penalty. Just swap SIM cards.

One should read up and seriously consider Google-Fi. I was skeptical, but my brother got in early and has been using Google-Fi for over a year and loves it! He travels a lot and has no issues. He's in IT security, etc and is pretty picky about his devices and service.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I left Sprint 3 months ago and signed up with xFinity. My bill went from $105/mo. to $16-$30 per month (that is for two lines sharing @$12/Gig.). The caveat is you have to be an xFinity broadband customer. xFinity uses the Verizon network.
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I hate Comcast, no way am I paying them for anything more than internet.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I have been thinking of switching from Verizon to Spectrum. They say it's $45/month for unlimited (but I think it drops speed at a certain point), or $14/Gb. I think they use Verizon towers.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    4 unlimited lines and 4 iPhones on ATT FOR $165 per month.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I miss US Cellular. I had them for years and they stopped selling around Chicago. 100 miles away in Illinois, they still sell but not around me. I had good luck with them when they were around here.

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.