You's guys are bad for me.

During my Polk forum break I saved up and spent $3k on wearing parts of my 25 year old car and was in the process of saving for a new more powerful motor for it.

Right after coming back I buy a Cambridge CXN, looking for a power cord, and I'm eyeing the Wharfedale 80th and 85th anniversary speakers.

So, thanks. Thanks for that ;)
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Happy to help B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nightfall wrote: »
    During my Polk forum break I saved up and spent $3k on wearing parts of my 25 year old car and was in the process of saving for a new more powerful motor for it.

Right after coming back I buy a Cambridge CXN, looking for a power cord, and I'm eyeing the Wharfedale 80th and 85th anniversary speakers.

You know you can get a good used Civic with less than 100k on it for like 8g right?!?

But good to have you back!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah, but I couldn't believe how much I saved with GEICO
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Cars are money pits that sit idle 99% of the time. A stereo can be used 24/7. There is no contest. Buy stereo gear. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    rooftop59 wrote: »

You know you can get a good used Civic with less than 100k on it for like 8g right?!?

But good to have you back!

Yeah, everyone tells me I'm stupid for it. I love the generation that I have though. Plus modern Civics no longer have double wishbone suspension and they're a lot heavier. 200hp in a 2,000 pound car will actually be pretty quick (not fast), 200hp in a 3,000+ pound car is just average.

• Nightfall
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Cars are money pits that sit idle 99% of the time. A stereo can be used 24/7. There is no contest. Buy stereo gear. :)

I drive my car 40 hours a week for my job. No car, no money.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yikes. Do you work for Uber/Lyft? Most people only work 40 hours a week, not counting the commute. You must have a million miles on it by now.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Around 250,000 miles. Still runs like a top and doesn't burn oil but, yeah, it's probably getting close to time for a fresh motor. I'd wager I'll get at least 300k out of it if not 350.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I feel your pain, I do about 200 to 300 miles a day, but I love the freedom versus doing an office gig
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    For real. I make more than I ever did in a kitchen and I get paid to drive around listening to music. That's what they call a win/win.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Forget about the Wharfedales. See, I just saved you hundreds towards your car insurance.
  • Nightfall
    dromunds wrote: »
    Forget about the Wharfedales. See, I just saved you hundreds towards your car insurance.

There's something about them that's really appealing to me. Not the diamond series but the two anniversary series I think they're called.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2019
    Guys like this are bad for me...

kspvjsw7fwe2.jpg

aybnf82rlup2.jpg

uz82mipafeo6.jpg

an0o79v88uj4.jpg

:*
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Just look at these beauties. I believe the picture to be deceiving, they're about the same size as my current Emit M20s. 85th version went to a larger cabinet and upped the driver from 5 to 6.5"

3qqp4qzuofsv.jpg

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    You know speakers should be top priority :) Those are nice looking. Have you heard that model yet ?
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    I haven't heard a pair of Wharfedale's in a long time. The Internet audiophiles love the 80th anniversary version though. Not finding much info about these.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    They kinda remind me of OHM speakers I had once. They sounded pretty good iirc.... good luck on getting those. If you get em - do tell
    Randy/Maine
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I too love the look of those, especially the Linton anniversary with those stands. Not sure how they sound, but they are stunning.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited August 2019
    FWIW, Stereophile just released a recent review of the Linton Heritage 85th. Pretty Positive.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker

kp51vfgyeby8.jpg

• Nightfall
    FWIW, Stereophile just released a recent review of the Linton Heritage 85th. Pretty Positive.

I need new boxers now, thanks.

• Mike Reeter

I need new boxers now, thanks.

I'd like to have a pair myself. I love the 'look' of the old BBC Monitors, and I'm sure they sound very good as well.

• Nightfall
    They look like a British Monitor 7 with a much better cabinet.

• F1nut
    Just look at these beauties. I believe the picture to be deceiving, they're about the same size as my current Emit M20s. 85th version went to a larger cabinet and upped the driver from 5 to 6.5"

3qqp4qzuofsv.jpg

You have good tastes. I've been eyeing those since they came out and the only reason I haven't bought a pair is sadly I've nowhere to use them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

kp51vfgyeby8.jpg

They remind me of the Monitor 7 only with the stands that Polk should have offered. There's something very sexy about the Lintons with stands.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    You guys are killing me. I'm going to get them within the next 30 days.

How long did it take for the 80th version to discount to $3/499 after release?

• F1nut
    You guys are killing me. I'm going to get them within the next 30 days.

How long did it take for the 80th version to discount to $3/499 after release?

No more than a year I'd say.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    To wait or not to wait.

The good thing about their base being nearly the same as my Dyn's is they'll be perfect for my Skylan stands.

I should probably put my RTA-12Bs on Craigslist.

• Mike Reeter
    Keep an eye out for any Specials/Demo pair on Music Direct, they usually offer any returns at a discounted price.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers?category=Speakers&specials=Demo&sort=newInStock|DESC&page=2&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

Providing anyone returns a pair ;)
  • F1nut
    edited August 2019
    To wait or not to wait.

The good thing about their base being nearly the same as my Dyn's is they'll be perfect for my Skylan stands.

I should probably put my RTA-12Bs on Craigslist.

Walnut or mahogany on the Dentons?

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Red mahogany, matches my Salamander stand.