Time sure does fly

Options
I just realized that 2 days ago marked 16 years since I joined this forum. My oldest daughter was 5 when I joined, and is almost 22 now. Damn.

The short version is, I quit smoking on June 14 2003, and after almost 2 months thought I'd treat myself to a new pair of floorstanders. I originally went shopping with the idea of getting some B*se 603s (I think?) but the kid at PC Richard gave me a few really good reasons to go with Polk R50s, so that's what got me started. Of course that led to joining this Forum, and after getting a few good smackdowns ;) with the Paddle of Audio Knowledge, the lifetime journey on the road towards better sound was started.

I just wanted to let people know how much this place has changed my life for the better. I've been to some great get-togethers, and met more great people than I ever thought possible.
You all have a special place in my memory, and I am grateful to have met so many of you.

Harry
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Very cool, and heartwarming testimony Harry! I for one, am glad you're here! Not quite 2 years for me, and my life has changed for the better too! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Here's to another 16 🎉
    the Paddle of Audio Knowledge
    .......LOL, you come up with some great ones.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,039
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    - Julius Henry Marx

hgth2i0ps6j8.png
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Wowzer. That’s eye opening.

Thank You for all of you contributors as it has made my short recent journey very enjoyable.

Hear Hear to another 16!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Not quite that long for me, but I can certainly agree with the time flies sentiment, Harry. :p I'm sure I said it before, but it was nice meeting you and the other guys at John's house. We should do it again soon... at John's house (Lol) >:)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Congrats and thank you for sticking around. Great folks here no doubt and lots of great information. Bet you too have seen the crazy changes. 😂🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Time does fly by and the older I am, it seems to go faster each year. I have not been on the forum as long as you, polrbehr; but I can say it is always a pleasant journey with the "veterans" and "newcomers".

(I like to browse my 2-3K photos on my iPhone to see where I've been for the past 5-7 years and the people I have met in life. Even the color on surrounding pics tells me things. I smile.)

I watch it occasionally to remind me about time. In this episode, time on a planet where Voyager is trapped in orbit goes by much faster than on the ship. This episode will make you think, and has many surprises.

Summary from IMDb:
    Voyager is trapped in orbit above a strange planet where time passes thousands of times faster than in the surrounding galaxy. As the population of the planet evolves (lives and dies). Voyager becomes an integral part of their culture. Eventually they develop technology that allows them to send someone to the "Sky Ship".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
    The older it is, the faster it goes. ;)

YUP, time seems to be plentiful while young. Energy and physical ability to do MANY things each and every day.
    Days seemed to last a long time and I got A LOT accomplished every day too.
    Now I sometimes plan on what I'm going to do each WEEK instead of each day. :D

My step daughter just turned 40. :o
    She was 11 when I married her mom. :)

I've also liked visiting this forum to see what other stereo and music hobbyist's experiences are happening since I bought those "MINTY" :D Polk Monitor 10's from my local Goodwill store.

I also hope you stay for 16+ more years!

What new Polk Model speakers will Polk audio create will always be on my mind. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    Cool and congrats. We joined within months of each other. It is fun and a trip down memory lane to go back through some of the original posts.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Seems any piece of gear you google leads you back to club Polk.
    And sometimes to one of my old posts I forgot about.
    Welcome to old age.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Hey Harry. Still kickin’ Down here in Charlotte
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Several similarities in our situations Harry. I joined three years after you when my daughter was 9 (yeah, she'll be 22 in Nov.). It was also the purchase of a pair of R50 that led me here. Still have them, but they are in a closet now. I just can't let them go for the price they'd sell for. I too have been to many get togethers and have gotten to know several members. It's been a great journey and my system is a little better than it was when I joined. The ol' Kenwood AVR and the R50 have been upgraded many times over in my 13 years on the forum.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I joined (June 2004 and 22,006 posts ago, apparently) to ask about the Polk Model Nine and the story of the Bose clones (Bozos) at Polk's genesis.

:)

• Tony M
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I joined (June 2004 and 22,006 posts ago, apparently) to ask about the Polk Model Nine and the story of the Bose clones (Bozos) at Polk's genesis.

:)

I was ecstatic when I saw a set of Polk Model 9's in a local Pawn shop many years ago.
    I still have them and show them off every now and then. I tell the "Bose" connection story too.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I actually have a pair of 9As -- these have the Peerless silk domes instead of the spitty little CTS "lemon juicer" piezo tweeters. :*

• Tony M
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I actually have a pair of 9As -- these have the Peerless silk domes instead of the spitty little CTS "lemon juicer" piezo tweeters. :*

Mine have the Peerless's also. B)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Seems like just a couple years ago I was in high school with my entire life ahead of me, what do you mean it's been nearly two decades? (19 years)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    The older I get the faster time seems to go by. By the time I am 100 I suspect a year will seem like a week.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I wasn't old twenty years ago -- but I was "on the spectrum" ;)

nchijj9x50kd.png