Using an old iPad mini

xsmixsmi Posts: 1,423
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of attaching an iPad mini that I have lying around the house to my Marantz SA-8005 player to stream Apple Music, but use the DAC in the SA-8005 to decode the sound. Do you guys see any problems with this set-up? ( Besides Apple Music streaming in 324 AAC format.)
2-channel
Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,898
    xsmi wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of attaching an iPad mini that I have lying around the house to my Marantz SA-8005 player to stream Apple Music, but use the DAC in the SA-8005 to decode the sound. Do you guys see any problems with this set-up? ( Besides Apple Music streaming in 324 AAC format.)

Most USB DACs can’t take an iPod input, only an input from a computer. But just try it and see! SQ won’t be the best, but it will be convenient
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,632
    Marantz players can and will decode AAC and ALAC (or at least my CD6004 will.)

xsmi, that is pretty much what I run (iPad Mini 2) and it works great and sounds nice enough. Happy listening!
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,423
    Thank you for the responses.
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.