NVSD - Polk Monitor 5A

Hi all,

New Vintage Speaker Day. I picked up a set of 5A's through the local FB Buy, Swap and sell.
They were listed as 5 Jr's, but when I picked them up, they were 5A's. Score.
Cost me $150, which is great in Australia, as these are thin on the ground over here.
This set has the Peerless tweeters, and black basket passive radiators. Markings on the crossovers indicate late 1981.

5lqpk5wc0abb.jpg
y95aoauejd3x.jpg
4wnenvra1l44.jpg
98x6zoufa2h5.jpg

After researching these, mainly on here, the first thing I did was to Araldite (Epoxy glue) above and below the woofer magnets, to prevent magnet slip.

215guj75bi9d.jpg

Don't have a pic of the glued magnets, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.

The next step was rebuilding the crossovers. After more research on here (thanks guys), I purchased Solen 33uf for the bass cap and Sonicaps for the tweeter. Also replaced the cement resisters with Mills 5W (Had already ordered these before finding out most use 12W, but hey, the old ones are 5W, so shouldn't be an issue.

y9sydhmg4huc.jpg
bgtjpd0bfkmm.jpg
m9d5uatzymjf.jpg
6d0zmchgbbiw.jpg
4qi3t118r10q.jpg
tgckcfhw44tk.jpg

So, happy days. The speakers are a match made in heaven with my Yamaha CA-620 integrated amp (only recapped the filter caps), and Technics SL-1400 turntable.

I'm playing Rattle Snake off Flying Microtonal Banana by King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard (say that six times fast) and these sound glorious.

I don't know how to describe the change of the crossover recap, slightly cleaner top end, and more defined bass. And "Haunting Mids" LOL.

Anyway, i'm not selling these anytime soon. It's also HNAD, as I just bought a Yamaha CA-1000 which works, but I will give it a birthday first.

Mr Relish

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Enjoy and welcome to Club Polk
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Wow, that may make the Top 10 all-time first posts! Nice work down under... Welcome to CP. :)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Wow, that may make the Top 10 all-time first posts! Nice work down under... Welcome to CP. :)

That’s pretty much what I was thinking… Welcome aboard!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Thanks. Hard to go wrong with all the helpful info on here.
    Actually, the amp is a Yamaha CA-610.

Mr Relish.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    That CA-1000 will be the shiznay
  • @Monkey_Relish, is that just hot glue that I see keeping everything in place? And, did your capacitor stack get anywhere close to the back of the passive resonator? And, how did you, in the end, repack the polyfil; did you try to keep it away from the back of the PR?

Thanks,
    -Ken
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    @Monkey_Relish, is that just hot glue that I see keeping everything in place? And, did your capacitor stack get anywhere close to the back of the passive resonator? And, how did you, in the end, repack the polyfil; did you try to keep it away from the back of the PR?

Thanks,
    -Ken

Don't know for sure, but probably is hot glue. Here is how I rebuilt my 5A's. Resistors on the bottom of the board. Spread things out on top.v8iio26i637v.jpg
    5ve1s7tuuicn.jpg
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    Great post, very informative.

After researching these, mainly on here, the first thing I did was to Araldite (Epoxy glue) above and below the woofer magnets, to prevent magnet slip.

215guj75bi9d.jpg

Don't have a pic of the glued magnets, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.
    Funny, i speant 15 seconds looking at the pic, thinking "dang, I don't even see the glue."
  • @Monkey_Relish, is that just hot glue that I see keeping everything in place? And, did your capacitor stack get anywhere close to the back of the passive resonator? And, how did you, in the end, repack the polyfil; did you try to keep it away from the back of the PR?

Thanks,
    -Ken

Yes, that is hot just glue. Plenty of room to the passive resonator.
    I redid the existing polyfil, as it had fallen down to behind the PR.
    I made sure it was packed up behind the tweeter and the woofer.
    The polyfil is cut like a set of pants, a rectangular sheet with a split in it.
    the top part is rolled up behind the tweeter, the legs go either side of a brace, and are rolled up behind the woofer.

And for the next stage, I am going to rip off the vinyl, and give it the veneer it deserves.

Mr Relish
  • dromunds wrote: »
    That CA-1000 will be the shiznay

Oh, it certainly is, after a full rebuild replacing all electrolytics, protection relay, class A snap switches, removing and cleaning phono and coupling switches and chasing down a noisy transistor on the tone board.
    Sounds awesome with the Polks.

Mr Relish
  • Hi "Mate" and your speakers look brand new.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • AlRod
    AlRod Posts: 4
    Great work you have done, I have a pair that still work perfectly wondering if I should sell or keep them
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Before you make a decision, just know that you cannot sell them here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Those look well-taken care of, and that's the real find. The 5's are one of the best all-around performers of any "bookshelf" for their given foot-print.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • AlRod
    Thanks for feedback, every time I listen to them especially playing Vinyl, the y sound great, makes me want to refurbish the cabinets as they are marked
  • AlRod
    Thanks for feedback, every time I listen to them especially playing Vinyl, the y sound great, makes me want to refurbish the cabinets as they are marked