It's time for a feel good story. Nipper the Wonder Dog....a bit lengthy.

Options
There have been some posts here that have brought me to tears(such as recent family member deaths and illnesses) and others that have made me angry(shootings, etc). We too have dealt with recent losses. Seems to be more than normal lately so I thought I would change things up a bit.

Some time ago I mentioned that my 10 yr old Aussie Doggie also received some bad news regarding cancer. Of course she wasn't affected by this diagnosis as much as we were and it left us with decisions to make. We decided to aggressively treat her which initially involved 2 trips to the University of Pennsylvania(3.5 hrs away) for an operation to remove the tumor which was located at the bottom of her right front leg just above the joint near the paw. The good news was that the cancer had not got into the bone but the tumor was larger than expected and a lot of the area was left as an open wound in special dressing. The first dressing change by our local vet went well but the 2nd one did not. There was dead tissue that was not seen in the 1st visit and we were told to get her either back to Philly or to the animal hospital in Cornell University. Up to New York we went(much nicer ride and 1+ hour closer).

We were told they could either aggressively try to save her leg or to consider amputation. Hearing that word put me into shock. We left her there to try and save the leg but it did not go well and after 5 days we had to make another decision....partial amputation and then have a prosthetic device made and hope she takes to it or full leg amputation. The full leg is apparently what most people go with(quicker recovery and much cheaper $$) but she is such an active-happy go lucky dog we decided to do the partial and when it comes to a family member money is no object. We were warned that some dogs don't deal with this well but we knew Nipper would, she is just so full of life and nothing seems to bring her down.

The operation went well and the prosthetic was ordered a few weeks later after the swelling went down. 2 more trips up to Cornell and several weeks later waiting for the prosthetic brace to be modified and we/she is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Today she is almost 100% the dog she was prior to all this. Our vet coined the phrase Wonder Dog because with all this girl has been through(there were some very dark days for all of us) she has amazed everybody with her attitude. Even the vets that deal with this stated she is an exception to the rule.

I'm a training analyst/facilitator by trade and I use her as an example of how a positive attitude will help you overcome whatever bumps in the road of life you experience. Sometimes having a positive outlook is difficult but having a negative one will probably only make matters worse. As I was once told, try to find some good in each day-I hope you can no matter how dire situations may be.
etva39d7hb1t.jpg
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    That is so kool. Thank you for sharing her story with us. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Mr. Bob

Cool story and I agree on the whole needing some feelin good things!!

Uh oh, that might be an "opening of the floodgates on that" :p
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Robo-dog! Love Aussies👍
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Great story. I'm glad there was a happy ending for all of you, especially for Nipper.

BTW, beautiful dog!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Good Dog! Well done Bob! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    he he, more like....Good Bob and well done Dog!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^ yes dogs tend to make people better.

That is a lucky dog to have these good people.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.