Blu-Ray music discs

Options
I bought a couple of Rush BR music discs. Do you need a monitor to be able to use these? I cannot seem to get either to play past the introductory part and that is not a full song. I use an Oppo 205 in my 2 channel set up and have set it up to only play two channel tracks for all my DVD-Audio discs. I guess I wrongly assumed that just hitting the play button I'd get the high resolution tracks to just play since my player is set to play 2 channel only. I do not have access to a TV or monitor to hook up to it to be able to navigate menu's.

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Are these pure music BR disks, or BR video of a performance. I have done both, and didn't have any issues. However, it has been a while, and I had an Oppo 103 at the time.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited August 2019
    Options
    They usually have a menu to navigate. As a work around, you can put it in your tv rig, and note the navigational ques to get the music playing, then transition to your stereo rig.

Also note that if there is a high resolution 2ch and a 5.1 mix option, it usually defaults to 5.1...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    They usually have a menu to navigate. As a work around, you can put it in your tv rig, and note the navigational ques to get the music playing, then transition to your stereo rig.

Also note that if there is a high resolution 2ch and a 5.1 mix option, it usually defaults to 5.1...

well I do not have a TV rig that my Oppo can be hooked to. Some of my DVD-Audio are the same but the OPPO defaults to 2 channel as I have it set in the menu now. Thanks @daddyjt

Yes Bud PURE hi-rez music not video in any way.
  • daddyjt
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »

well I do not have a TV rig that my Oppo can be hooked to. Some of my DVD-Audio are the same but the OPPO defaults to 2 channel as I have it set in the menu now. Thanks @daddyjt

Yes Bud PURE hi-rez music not video in any way.

Do you have a tv in the house that has a Blu-ray player hooked up? If so, that’s what I was suggesting - pop the disc into that setup and see what menu prompts are needed to get the music playing.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    Options
    No only TV is my mother's in her bedroom which is CRT and no HDMI.
    All my kids stream and have no players. It's all good daddy one day here I'll have one, it's not near future. I have most all Rush anyway on CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and that one funky hi-rez format they used for Snakes and Arrows.
    I was just hoping load and play at the very least for the Blu-Ray.
    Sigh :(

;)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The Blu Ray Pure Audio format was developed so that the discs would not require a video connection to select audio formats.

On an Oppo 105 or 205 there is an “Audio” button on the remote that is the third button from the bottom on the left side. Pressing that Two times will cycle through the audio formats and what is selected will show on the player’s display screen along the top. On a 105 it will say PCM 2 channel first. On a 205 it just says PCM for the two channel tracks. The next two button press will cause the player to switch to DTS MA stereo on the player’s display. Next two button press brings up PCM 5.1. It takes 2 or 3 seconds to switch tracks on the disc. Cycle through like that and you’ll see how it works.

On most of these discs the versions are 2.0 PCM, 2.0 DTS Master Audio, 5.1 PCM, and 5.1 DTS Master Audio. In a two channel system when a surround track version is selected the missing channels not being output to the stereo speakers will be quite apparent.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    No Emlyn it will not cycle through either of the BR audio disc's. When I put the disc in I get "home menu" . I hit audio button nothing happens. I hit play I get " Top Menu" and on Fly by night I get about 90 seconds of Fly by night then nothing. On Farewell to Kings I get about 90 seconds of closer to the heart. If I walk away with either disc in it will play those tidbits about every 5 min then stop continuous. As either one of them are playing that tidbit I do see PCM and Dolby TRUE HD so there must be a menu you navigate. The gate folds are TRUE to the albums I had and no where does it say anywhere about any videos so I do believe it is just music. I'm stumped for sure. I am going to have to find a friends BR player and see.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    Options
    Strange. It works on both of mine, so my guess is it must be setting related. I agree hooking it up to a video display to see what’s going on would help. On mine as soon as the discs are inserted they start playing in 2 channel PCM. That is most likely because Playback Setup/Auto Play Mode is set to On.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    yea I turned auto play off but my reading says that should not affect it …. according to my manual.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited August 2019
    Options
    So you are trying to play the BR discs with your Oppo 205 using the analog outs into your preamp, in your two channel rig with out a monitor and no HDMI cable correct. Most of my BR audio and DVD audio discs have stuff going on in the background while going Oppo 105D to Sony TV.

Im assuming if I unplugged the HDMI from the Oppo and tried to play those Discs with just the analog outs it wont work, I will have to try that just to see if it works in 2.0. I only buy those type of discs for the 5.1 surround mix and not for 2.0 PCM or 2.0 DTS Master. I'm not fully understanding what your trying to accomplish, except for wanting to hear the 2.0 master audio on a Oppo player hooked up to your 2 channel, assuming you usually just use your Oppo for CD and SACD playback, or using its USB for using your laptop to play digital files.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    yea Steve 2.0 analog out. SACD, DVD-audio all works good no monitor needed. I do not use it much as I mainly used the Pioneer PD-D9 for most all but DVD-Audio.
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Options
    Did you buy the discs new or used, Blu-ray quality can be poor, seller may have tried too.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    Did you buy the discs new or used, Blu-ray quality can be poor, seller may have tried too.

new unopened still had the pull string to open.
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Is this one of the ones you bought? If so, I’ll order it today and have it tomorrow or the next day, and see what I can figure out for you...

6qxtvjumadya.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    Options
    yes it is but there's no need to do that. Well unless you REALLY want the title. I'm in no Rush (pun intended) I'll just find a friend at with a BR player at some point local and pop it in and see if it has anything to do with my use of the analog outs instead of HDMI. I am also learning last night that I'm several OPPO 205/203 updates behind and that might also have something to do with it. So yes as much as I do not want to I'm dragging this thing somewhere with a TV/HDMI and using my thumb drive to hit it with 5 updates. some of the updates are compatibility issues and HDR. I really should get it updated. Not sure if thumb drive or burning to a disc would be better. If I burn to a disc does it need to be DVD or can it be CD DATA disc? I bought one from OPPO last time for 10.00 it looks like CD to me.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    or menu picking
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I have the DVD-A of "Moving Pictures" in storage somewhere. I can't recall the steps necessary to play the different options on the menu, but it seems that if you did a little bit of trial and error, you would get to what you want.

Have you tried "navigating" by hitting the "DOWN" arrow once and then "ENTER", if nothing happens, try hitting that arrow twice and then "ENTER", and so on? Also, in each "DOWN" step, maybe try the "RIGHT" arrow, and then "ENTER". It seems that eventually you will get to the proper menu and the album would start playing from the beginning.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    yea Jim I did and my moving pictures and 2112 go right into play no monitor or funky steps push play. Doing what you describe I can get favorites pop up on the display but nothing else.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Well, shoot. :p I've got a 21-inch HDMI computer monitor here I could lend you if you were next door. :#
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    My Denon DVD-2910 does that with DVD-A discs. Try pressing PLAY a couple times or >> and then PLAY.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Ok well that didn't work skrol. I did fiddle fa rt around and got fly by night playing do not ask me how, i just got frustrated and started pushing god damn buttons and walla music started freakin playing. My god its the best I've ever heard fly by night by a long shot. Downside there is layers in there and I'm going to have to have a monitor to figure out the exact keystrokes. I had pictures, movies and music pop up... and no hitting play when music popped up did not get me tunes I believe it is like a discography of some sort. It was after that popped up i got pizzed and when on button rampage lol.😭😭
    The impact of Neil's drums is off the charts. My original LP was never this good. The CD was better but this is VERY GOOD. Downside is that yes in quiet passages there is dreaded tape hiss but it is very old recording so how could one not expect that.

• pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Bingo figured it out hit enter on home menu takes you to top menu hit down arrow slowly twice wait 1 second hit enter walla freakin music on Fairwell to Kings

Fly by Night is enter on home menu to top menu then right arrow twice slowly wait 1 sec then hit enter enter...

Then the audio button work but you must hit it twice then wait for ever it seems until i can cycle to 96/2.0
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • daddyjt
    Options
    zjcfxxcpk49i.png

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Indeed and no monitor was used :D
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    That must have been a lot of trial and error. You don't give up easy, I'll give you that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    https://youtu.be/p9c5j50Hx5o

Life is so complicated. Now go on and crank up some By-Tor And The Snow Dog, before you forget all the remote sequences. You did write it down right?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/p9c5j50Hx5o

Life is so complicated. Now go on and crank up some By-Tor And The Snow Dog, before you forget all the remote sequences. You did write it down right?
    Yes cranked it up twice and yes i sure did put a posty note inside 😊

Nightfall wrote: »
    That must have been a lot of trial and error. You don't give up easy, I'll give you that.
    Indeed it was Josh, by the way have you seen my avatar? Not only do I own them but I own them because of their tenacious attitude sometimes I tend to have that same thing, or as my father used to say "you are the most bullheaded mothertrucker"
    🤪

Yet I could never solve a Rubik's cube