Issue with Epson 8700UB Projector?

audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,634
I seem to recall years ago there used to be a dedicated "Home Theater" forum, so if this isn't the appropriate place for this post I apologize!

tl;dr - How long should I expect the fan on my Epson 8700UB to stay on after I turn off the projector? Also, bulb replacement recommendations?

I used a Runco CL420 for a number of years previously, and when I shut it off the fan would always stay on to cool the bulb for several minutes. When I upgraded to my Epson 8700UB, I was very surprised to notice the fan only stayed on maybe a max of 30 seconds, possibly not even that long. But it performed fine, so I was happy. Then one day the bulb exploded. The bulb is rated for 4000 hours, and it had much less than that on it. Since I apparently did not note the hours anywhere, I'll just say it was less than 2,000, but I really think it was a good bit less than that as well.

The shorter fan duration and the bulb failing earlier than expected has me concerned there may be a problem with my specific projector, but also it was a used projector with a (probably) quite old bulb in it, even if the hours were low. So I can definitely accept this being a fluke and not an issue with the projector. I just don't want to spend the money ona new bulb only to have it blow soon as well.

ALSO, what about bulb replacement options? New from Epson a ELPLP49/V13H010L49 bulb is $331. I'd much rather spend lessthan that. Googling I see what are assuredly non-OEM replacements for ~$60, as well as replacements that claim to be OEM with an Osram bulb for ~$130-160 and carry 90-180 day warranties.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,728
    Forget the non OEM bulb. they're not worth the hassle for the problems I've been there done that with a rear projection TV and it was a real pain in the rear. I used bulb solutions local to me they have OEM stuff you may have to put the bulb in the cage I don't know how your projector is that there may be some work on your end involved.

https://www.bulbsolutions.com/
  • audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,634
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Forget the non OEM bulb. they're not worth the hassle for the problems I've been there done that with a rear projection TV and it was a real pain in the rear. I used bulb solutions local to me they have OEM stuff you may have to put the bulb in the cage I don't know how your projector is that there may be some work on your end involved.

https://www.bulbsolutions.com/

Thank you for the advice! I've found some Osram and Ushio replacement bulbs I'm currently debating between.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Remember if you get the naked bulb and you have to put it in your cage wear latex gloves to not touch the bulb.
  • audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,634
    Remember if you get the naked bulb and you have to put it in your cage wear latex gloves to not touch the bulb.

Thanks for the reminder! I regret it now, but when bulb blew I threw out the cage as well, so I'll have to buy a whole new assembly. I'll not make that mistake again next time.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    audiobliss wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder! I regret it now, but when bulb blew I threw out the cage as well, so I'll have to buy a whole new assembly. I'll not make that mistake again next time.

Oh man :'( that can be costly. Prepare yourself