Polk 5 ??

ThomasD
ThomasD Posts: 260
edited August 2019 in Vintage Speakers
I know these are 5's but don't look like B's and aren't JR's. SL1000 tweets and come with stands for $150. Did they make just a 5? Heading down to where they are listed soon and might take look at them, just wanted to make sure I was clear on which ones they were first. Thanks
mdzkgoub5jea.png
(Edit) Ok, looks like these are 5a's. In my haste I didn't type the 'a' in my original search. Don't know if they've got any negotiating room, wish they were Jr.'s but think these might still be a nice add to my small 4a's & 7c's monitor collection. Anyone with 5a experience care to chime in?
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,972
    That mid looks aftermarket to me
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    They're 5A's, those are Peerless tweeters not SL1000, and the mid isn't original. What stands do they come with?

Edit: If that mid IS original, upon looking at it more, it might just be extremely dusty and the light is bouncing off all the dust weird.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I haven't heard 5a's, but that seems a bit high for them. I have a pair of 5jr+ series 2 on the local CL, with stands, for $100 and they aren't moving.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ offer 75 and enjoy. Love my jr+ series 2
  • ThomasD
    Nightfall wrote: »
    They're 5A's, those are Peerless tweeters not SL1000, and the mid isn't original. What stands do they come with?

lrzhjzlwq58u.png
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • ThomasD
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I haven't heard 5a's, but that seems a bit high for them. I have a pair of 5jr+ series 2 on the local CL, with stands, for $100 and they aren't moving.

Wish they were further 'North'. :)
  • Nightfall
    $100 tops. You're going to be spending another ~$50-75 to replace the mids if they're not original.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2019
    Looking at the speakers closely and blown up, the tweeter frame is different from the cut-out. The tweeter looks brand new of course. I mean BRAND NEW!

That woofer looks to have a brand new frame too. The glue around the cone looks brand new too.

I have a pr. of 5's. Not sure which tweeter. But the pr. is up high on a shelf with stuff in the way below them. I could move the stuff and get to them but I'm tired today. :# I 'm forcing myself to go finish rehabbing my AR4x's guts. I have to replace the rock wool I took out. :#

I agree with the above offers. Maybe 80.00. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ThomasD
    @Tony M
    Interesting that you mention AR4x’s. There is a pair of them listed for $150 also. Not familiar with the AR family.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Them's is different than what I got. I've had these for quite some time and I thought that they were 5A but no labels on them.

duuf9afh0i3b.jpg
  • Nightfall
    I always thought Peerless = A SL1000 = B SL2000 = C with a few oddball in between variations going either way.

• Tony M
    edited August 2019
    ThomasD wrote: »
    @Tony M
    Interesting that you mention AR4x’s. There is a pair of them listed for $150 also. Not familiar with the AR family.

That seems to be the going rate. The rheostats on all of them need to be cleaned. Most say take them out and open them and clean them that way. I'd have to agree. It's not hard at all if your handy and have some spare electrical wire to add to make re-installing it much easier.

Now after getting my set of RT12b's playing like they should, the AR4x's sound small. I rebuilt the tweeter rheostats and the tweeters can now be made to sound from very dull to super bright again.

Maybe I just have them too close together. I might go out right now and point them outward. That's what my friend Paul said yesterday. Yesterday, they had no sealant behind the woofers and 1/2 the batting was out of them. I put the batting in and sealed the woofers this afternoon and hooked them back up. They sounded better but nothing like the Polk RTA12b's. ;) Not even in the same league! :'(

My friend Paul loves Jazz and I KNOW he wanted to take the 12b's home REAL BAD! ;)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Also looks like the tweeter has an intention in the middle not the hole. Could just be the bad quality of the zoomed in picture though.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I always thought Peerless = A SL1000 = B SL2000 = C with a few oddball in between variations going either way.

5Bs have the sl2k, series 2 got the sl2500, not aware of any C variant save for the 7s and 10s
  • Nightfall
    Derp. I was thinking of the 7's. Been a while.

• Tony M
    edited August 2019
    ThomasD wrote: »
    @Tony M

I just got back in from listening to the AR4x's with them pointing outward and with Cd's and the radio.

The radio music was a hit or miss but OK.

Playing Cd's , the music was pretty darn BIG again. Very impressive most of the time.

So...the source makes or breaks these. I also turned the tweeter dial back some so they weren't so bright. Yea, these ARE little gems. I also had to re-do the grills, repair the cabinet from pulling the woofers. One was worse than the other. Rock hard putty did the trick easily. Painted the faces. It was all fun little project stages.
  • ThomasD
    I’m feeling pretty ‘iffy’ about the 5a’s now. But maybe the AR 4x’s are worth a shot. I’d really like to find a pair of Dynaco A25’s to add to my collection. Only seen one pair listed in the state in the last few years. The listing was sketchy and had poor communication with the seller so I passed and the ad went away.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited August 2019
    I think they are speakers someone has worked over. MW does not look to be original & the tweeter looks like a newer replacement as well. I am not 100% positive, but 5A's should have the Polk logo on the cabinet, not the grill. Frankly, since you already have 7C's, I wouldn't bother with these unless they have an original Peerless.
  • Tony M
    Seeing your signature list, I'd say the AR4x's sound like those KG4's. I had a set and remember them well. But these AR's are OLD. I still need to re-seal the woofer's surround with some kind of tar or sealant. Anybody know of a great substitute sealant? Maybe that spray tar on that commercial that comes on a lot. Quick Seal...or something. I think there's some spray sealant at Lowes that might work. I think I used something years ago that literally made the surround shrink. I think it ruined the woofers. I've forgotten that day!

Maybe the Polk 4A's have a similar sound but a little lighter in the bass.

I need to switch receivers asap to hear the 12b's and these AR4x's from another power source. Maybe break out a 555II or that med. sized Sony stereo receiver that sounded great after I put the connectors on those back jumper positions.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2019
    That's the ones to own! <3

I see those tweeters don't fit the cut-outs either but I know they're original looking for sure.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Them's is different than what I got. I've had these for quite some time and I thought that they were 5A but no labels on them.

duuf9afh0i3b.jpg

Yours are 5B. You can tell by the fish eye tweeter and the space between the mid-woofer and passive radiator. On the 5A they just about overlap.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    skrol wrote: »
    krazypolk wrote: »

duuf9afh0i3b.jpg

Yours are 5B. You can tell by the fish eye tweeter and the space between the mid-woofer and passive radiator. On the 5A they just about overlap.

Thanks for the info.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    These appear to be transitional speakers between the 5 and 5A or parts have been replaced. 5's had the silver basked MW and PR with the paper gasket on the front. The logo was on the grill.

09vos0ydvgn0.png
    f78dvx0lbzk2.png
    na51exvthh30.png
    https://reverb.com/item/12963310-vintage-polk-audio-original-monitor-5-bookshelf-speakers-peerless-tweeters

cihq4zyzd7bp.png
    https://silverfacestereo.com/2013/01/31/new-is-not-always-better-polk-monitor-7b-and-5b/

The 5A had the logo on the speaker as shown, black baskets, and no paper gasket. They still sound very good, but not as much bass as the 7's but IMO less breakup at higher volumes. I don't know if the cabinets changed sizes between the 5 and 5A.

For 5A's check the PR's for cracking. Whatever rubber they used for 5A's can start to get hard and crack. I have not seen the cracking on the early silver basket (5) and later SW80 (5B) PR's. Both sound different in 5A's. The proper PR sounds the best, followed by the silver basket and then the SW80. The SW80 sounded a little boomy with more roll off in the 5A's