Tuners?

Options
Just wondering, does anyone make am/fm tuners anymore?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    That was just the first result I found. Crutchfield carries three models currently, although the $5k model seems to be out of stock. Guess it's selling like hotcakes! ;)
    https://www.crutchfield.com/g_357350/Radio-Tuners.html?tp=47481
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I'll be darned. You don't hear much about tuners anymore.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited July 2019
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

^^^ Not current production, but a remarkably good tuner (both AM and FM, astoundingly). There's one here that I used as a daily driver for a while. It acquitted itself surprisingly well, too. For a soiled solid state tuner, it sounds pretty good, and it has excellent real-world performance as a 'radio' (sensitivity, selectivity, S/N, stuff like that).

ycn1p1g1iyhn.jpg
    (sorry, the only photo of it I have handy)

As far as current production tuners -- yeah there are some; most of the usual suspects still make them* and I wouldn't be surprised if Accuphase still does, too(?).

I presume Magnum-Dynalab is also still around, selling fair quality, nice looking tuners at exorbitant prices :#

There are even some eccentricities like this one:
    https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tuner/messages/1/17201.html

n2a9322r8gfn.png

The "Sparkler S509" :p

Does 47 Labs still make their oddly similar (and similarly odd), minimalist FM tuner?

nsphgnmy606d.png
    mn46uompe0t0.png

B)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/t-s500/index.html

vcqgjt52aayf.png

(I don't think it's quite in CT-7000 or T-2 territory, though :| )

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Wondered that myself.

Wouldn't mind a simple one for my 2 ch.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Wondered that myself.

uhh... some of us might have spares.

:)

• 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Options
    I was looking at one of these before I settled on my HH Scott.

https://www.musicdirect.com/tuners/magnum-dynalab-md-90t-hybrid-fm-tuner
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Always check https://www.fmtunerinfo.com great in depth information on most tuners you may be interested in.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Always check https://www.fmtunerinfo.com great in depth information on most tuners you may be interested in.

Well, there's certainly information. :*
    My problem(s) with fmtunerinfo (not that any of y'all asked).

1) any tuner they talk up gets expensive.
    2) they are far more concerned with the 'radio' performance than the sonic performance.
    (they were sort of "audiosciencereview" before there was an audiosciencereview) B)

Don't get me wrong, the 'radio' stuff is not unimportant (e.g., selectivity, capture ratio, and image rejection is a big deal if one lives in the middle of a big city!)... but, personally :p I care a lot more about how they sound.

I guess my perspective is, yeah, they're a useful resource, but take the information they offer with a grain of salt.
    55LS70 wrote: »

You made a good choice :)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I like the feel of a good gyro-scope tuning knob. Don't judge me.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hey, if I had the disposable income, I wouldn't mind having one of these, either.

5y2wh1c69pan.png

Had a chance to pick one up for 400 smackers a coupla years ago, but I passed. :#
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

oops, sorry I missed that you posted that, sir! :/

Quite alright!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Just throwing this out there: Outlaw Audio makes a very nice, modern stereo receiver - either the current RR-2160, or the original RR-2150. It has a digital tuner, switchable MM&MC phono stage, USB DAC, sophisticated bass control, and plenty of power.
    5yh81jdwamgs.jpg
    They have a pre-out on the back, plus sub-outs for simple 2.1 playback. Comes with a remote.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Wondered that myself.

uhh... some of us might have spares.

:)

I had an old sansui tuner and amp out in the garage but the lightning strike got it also.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    55LS70 wrote: »

I have a line on one of these if someone is interested. It's in good shape and the owner might be willing to let it go for a steal considering it was a Goodwill find.

I also have a Marantz MX110Z if you are interested. It's not new but it is tube and also functions as a preamp.

Ohh, I'll bet that MX110Z is a McIntosh, not a Marantz.

B)

In seriousness, the MX110 family of tuner-preamps were pretty nice. I'm not crazy about Mac 'sound', but they made some darned nice tuners over the years -- my daily driver's a Mac MR-67.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone make am/fm tuners anymore?

Does anyone make horse drawn carriages anymore? Oh wait, the Amish do! Maybe they make tuners also 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    My problem with tuners is no matter how good it may be it won't change the terrible fm programming. I'm thinking that has a lot to do with the used ones not holding their value.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^ my tuner stays tuned to my local NPR station. I work at home so it plays no less than 8hrs a day. Best music format on the FM dial today.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I'm not looking to buy, just curious as you don't hear much about them anymore. FM was my main source as a teenager, as I couldn't afford very many albums.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'm not looking to buy, just curious as you don't hear much about them anymore. FM was my main source as a teenager, as I couldn't afford very many albums.

If you were a teenager now it would be youtube. Both a much higher quality audio source (generally), much bigger variety (almost endless), and comes with video as compared with FM.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer